• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

boots

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Other than "GET NEW BOOTS", any tips on snugging them up slightly in the foot area...the buckles are as tight as they will go and they are slightly loose.

Greg

Staff member
You can try new footbeds. Stock footbeds are pretty thin. I use Superfeet:

http://superfeet.com/product/index.html

I use the Synergizer model, but my buddy and many others swear by the Custom footbeds. Ask your shop about them. They should run you about $80. The Synergizers are $25-$30. You can also try slightly thicker socks. Also have a look at this article:

http://skiing.alpinezone.com/articles/boot1.htm

Hope this helps!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
if you're buckling your boots to the max, then you need to GET NEW BOOTS. heh, sorry if that isn't what you were looking for... but it's reality. my last pair of boots (thankfully!) had a buckle break last year while i was skiing cause i had been cranking them to the max and they were still loose.

getting new boots last year was AMAZING. when they fit you for new boots, they will fit them tight and so that you only buckle the first buckle. i just got my custom footbeds put in two weeks ago, talk about a perfect and snug fit!

there simply is no other way to go. it's not cheap, but it's a long term investment that will last for years and years (my last boots lasted 10+!) and well worth a solid investment, imo.

i wouldn't advise thicker socks. socks should be as light as possible while still keeping you warm. thinker socks could cause your feet to perspire leading to wet cold feet, ick!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
The boots are NOT old! This will be the second season for them. I got them in March of the 2001-2002 season and wore them only a couple times then.

I lost some weight and so they are big.

I'm going to try the footbed. What do I really have to lose doing this. If it does not make the boot so it is no longer loose then I can get new boots and have the footbed reworked for them.

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
>>The boots are NOT old! I got them in March of the 2001-2002 season and wore them only a couple times then.

teachski, barely used does NOT mean properly fitted - it could very well be that you simply didn't get the right boot for you - which would be the case if you had a sales person who either didn't know enough about bootfitting, or they just didn't care to put you in a good boot.

Are you saying that the calf area doesn't fit because you slimmed that down? or maybe even the ankles? If the weight loss was that severe, then you could possibly have an outershell that is a full mondo size too big for you - and that's the problem. i've not really heard of weight loss affecting boot fit that much before though, so I"m not sure what to tell you about that.

read more about proper boot fitting techniques here (and these are only a few)
http://skiing.about.com/cs/beforeyoubuy/bb/buy-ski-boots.htm

But, if it's not that severe - it doesn't mean that things can't be done to try to "save" these boots - custom footbeds might help, but it sounds like a good bootfitter would actually be better off trying to redrill the buckles into different positions. That could help, but between to cost of custom footbeds and a few hours of a bootfitters time, it depends on how good the boots were to begin with - they might not simply be worth the extra $$ - you might be better off going with a pair better suited for you.

'thicker' ski socks are getting harder and harder to find these days, as Smartwool and Thorlos and wigwam all offer awesome insulation & wick sweat away from your feet, which keeps them from getting cold & wet, and they're all so thin too.

anyway, what mountain do you ski most frequently? might be helpful to point you at a reputable boot fitter near where you're headed so you can make small adjustments, head out on the slopes, and go back for more.

Greg

Staff member
jfg15 said:
do you use the superfeet for your regular shoes too?
I user a cheaper sport-type footbed in my hiking boots.

In teachski's defense, I have never found a pair of boots that fit that well. I have very thin ankles and a flat narrow foot (believe me, it's a sight :blink: ) and I normally have to crank down the upper buckles to the second to last notch to get a snug fit. I've tried a number of boots and the Langes while narrow were too narrow at the arch. I went with Salomon Evolution2 which have a moldable liner. I think you can have it heated and molded to your foot like you would a custom footbed. I never had that done and it seems to have molded to my foot pretty well just with use. Anyway, try to find a good bootfitter and see if there is anything that can be done to get a liner that fits your foot better, or perhaps the can modify the existing one somehow.

Also, how are you storing the boots? They should always be buckled to the notches you normally use when wearing them anytime they are not in use. They will warp otherwise, especially in the warm summer months.

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
Greg said:
jfg15 said:
do you use the superfeet for your regular shoes too?
I user a cheaper sport-type footbed in my hiking boots.

Also, how are you storing the boots? They should always be buckled to the notches you normally use when wearing them anytime they are not in use. They will warp otherwise, especially in the warm summer months.

Very good point about storage, Greg.

Some people do have severe boot/foot issues... and it's amazing how many people don't realize how critical good boot fitting is - they simply don't know that custom fitting is available, often affordable and well worth it - they think it's reserved for 'expert skiers or rich people' - sometimes it's only a matter of having the right boot or a small adjustment. But finding a (really) good bootfitter, who isn't just there to sell you one of the brands of boots in their shop, can help- i've had boot fitters, say no, we don't have something that would work for you- try these... and have to go to another shop to buy, and bring them back to the first guy for adjustments.

After having custom footbeds in my ski boots, I too demand a bit more comfort out of my sneakers, hiking boots and other footwear - but because my custom footbeds mostly have a thicker later of arch support and buildup under the heel, they don't work well for other purposes (other than rollerskiing/inling) - so I go for the $30 or so models of Shock Doctor, or Downunders, as found in that link I posted. at that price, it's more affordable to replace worn out ones - custom footbeds will last a lot longer if you just use them in your ski boots.

jimme

As said, your weight loss might have made a drastic difference in the way the boots fit. I think a good boot fitter is the way to go. Find one near where it is most convieant (sp?) for you to travel to as it may take two, three or more fitting sessions. I think a good footbed is the best starting point.

If you want to try some do it yourself fitting Seth Masia's book Alpine Ski Maintenance and Repair has a section devoted to getting your boots to fit. The shops and bootfitters all want to protect their Alchemy and will be adamant this is not the way to go, but who knows how your feet REALLY feel in the boots. . .you do.

I also wonder just how much we should be caught up in all this 'perfect fit' thing. Footbeds, yes they do help a great deal, but how'd previous generations of skiers do it? They had leather boots that would just barely pass as hiking boots today.

Jimme