• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good Eats

ctenidae

If you like Alton, you should get "CookWise" by Shirley Corriher. She's frequently on Good Eats, and is listed as "Research" in the credits. My guess is she's why Alton has a show.

I do have to say, though, that while Alton's recipes generally turn out technically correct, they taste like crap. He's got all the science, but none of the art. Still, I love watching the show. My wife hates it.

Oh yeah- Giada's got awesome boobs.

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, I watch the show as a starting point, to get a handle on the basics. His recipes as shown can be bland, but they make a great base from which to build.

Grassi21

Well, I watch the show as a starting point, to get a handle on the basics. His recipes as shown can be bland, but they make a great base from which to build.

Bingo! I find his proportions, techniques, cooking methods and what not are spot on. Understanding how ingredients react to one another helps to understand the the art of cooking. Once you achieve an understanding of the basics you can truly create something special in the kitchen.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Bingo! I find his proportions, techniques, cooking methods and what not are spot on. Understanding how ingredients react to one another helps to understand the the art of cooking. Once you achieve an understanding of the basics you can truly create something special in the kitchen.
Well, that and a little inspiration ;)

drjeff

Never go grocery shopping while inspired. :lol:

Tell me about it! It's usually some cheese flavored crunchy carbs that are the subject of my inspiration at times like - BTW, the new Vermont Cheddar Artisan Wheat Thins are pretty tasty :rolleyes:

Glenn

LOL! It's true...most of his stuff ends up OK. We have a few of Giada's books and her stuff is great.

drjeff

LOL! It's true...most of his stuff ends up OK. We have a few of Giada's books and her stuff is great.

Her books are decent, but there's just something about her show on Food Network HD on the big screen that really does it for me ;)

snoseek

Besides the test kitchen show on PBS (also pretty good), it is the only show that focuses the fundamentals and physical properties of food. Once you can really grasp the physical properties of food along with flavors (a great gook out there called culinary artistry will help) recipes are a thing of the past.

Edit- Go to the book store and flip through culinary artistry, it is an amazing book that basically sets up like an encyclopedia with ingredients and listing flavor matches and cooking methods for each. Almost no recipes just a great guide for teaching flavor, some of the flavor pairs will suprise you. It is the other half of good eats.

Last edited:

snoseek

I can't bring myself to watch Giadas show even thogh I'm sure the recipes are solid. There are too many reasons to list why her show and rachael ray ect.... annoy the hell out of me, but the big one is after 30 minutes I mostly feel a little more stupid ( maybe a little more horny if watching giadas show).

Oh and her tits-yes they are amazing! I want to stuff my face in them a do a big motorboat!

ctenidae

Nah, Oreos and the ingredients for nachos are what gets me in trouble.

Funny how the nachos never actually get made, but you wake up the next day to grated cheese all over the kitchen, a spoon stuck in a can of refrieds, and a blistered lip from the jalapeno eating contest.

Grassi21

Funny how the nachos never actually get made, but you wake up the next day to grated cheese all over the kitchen, a spoon stuck in a can of refrieds, and a blistered lip from the jalapeno eating contest.

so true. i have gotten so lazy with the refrieds that i just slap a piece of glad press and seal over the can. a great option to the jalapenos is a can of green chiles. they are milder and have good flavor.