• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

BackLoafRiver

That's a real kick in the pants! I hope it heals up soon! Don't rush it though, it sucks enough to impact the biking season, I don't think you want it to impact skiing too...

Damn dude, take it easy so you can ski this winter!

Thanks guys. I have begun to enjoy MTB season almost as much as ski (but not quite) and it is a total downer that I can't enjoy my favorite time to ride. Keeping happy thoughts that I will get good news and that I'll be able to ski in the next month.

legalskier

tn_20090801085214206388061.jpg

BackLoafRiver

Rear Derailleur hanger snapped during todays ride. I felt the stick hit it and the next thing I knew, shifting was done. Also took a nice spill coming into a corner.

Oh, and my freewheel on the road bike is being replaced under warranty. It randomly started knocking so loud that I thought a spoke had popped out.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a rough stretch BackLoaf! Did the derailleur itself get screwed up too, or just the hanger? I always carry an extra hanger in my pack, just in case. I've only had to use it once though...

I've had my fair share of freehub issues though! The last few times they got all jammed up, turning the bike into a fixie... :smash:

BackLoafRiver

Sounds like a rough stretch BackLoaf! Did the derailleur itself get screwed up too, or just the hanger? I always carry an extra hanger in my pack, just in case. I've only had to use it once though...

The derailleur cage snapped on the inside. It was quite impressive really. Apparently Shimano doesn't make a replacement cage for more recent XT's?!? I thought you could replace it but...not so much.

If it was only the hager I would have been in good shape.

bvibert

Staff member
The derailleur cage snapped on the inside. It was quite impressive really. Apparently Shimano doesn't make a replacement cage for more recent XT's?!? I thought you could replace it but...not so much.

If it was only the hager I would have been in good shape.

Bummer! Personally I wouldn't want to try to replace the pieces of a derailleur that went through something like that. It's too hard to tell if something else might have gotten slightly bent. Get a replacement and you'll be good to go. Maybe switch to a SLX to save a few bucks, I doubt you'll notice any difference...

Sam

MTBing in dryish side of the Cascades. Pipestone canyon rim. Aluminum hardtail. My chain grabbed a quarter inch thick sage brush twig. Then my spokes tried to fight the chain for it. Things were mildly mangled and I was inexperienced so I manually manipulated the derailleur into a pleasant gear and tried to bike out. Ooops, I think the dropout was tweaked, and finishing the ride up the bottom of the canyon, my derailleur was pulled into my spokes.

Results: Decimated derailleur
Pretzel art hanger
Destroyed chain
I think even the dropout was tweaked, and still is.

No broken spokes
Wheel stayed true enough for a MTB

DeRailed2.jpg

Who carries a spare chain???????

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work! I can't believe you didn't damage any spokes!

Also, welcome to the forums, great 1st post!

Sam

Same bike, Appalachian logging road. Pedaling up a long grade I flipped an inch thick stick in the same rear wheel. Seven spokes went "bye bye" along with the tube's valve stem. The one day I left my spare tube at home. Fortunately for my lazy, frustrated self I was near the top. So I coasted gently down the mountain ( I think maybe I wanted a new wheel?). Back on paved roads with the disk brake rubbing and riding on a flat tube, laziness kicked in again and I called for a ride.

SpokeOops.jpg

After pulling all the spokes it was apparent that the rim was still true. So I bought some spokes, a freehub tool, a nicer spoke wrench and rebuilt the wheel (educational experience, easier than some people make it sound).

Sam

Thanks, the bike shop where I got the bike and the parts was also a bit amazed.

BackLoafRiver

So, i went into the shop today to have my road bike looked at. During my charity ride this weekend, I had noticed some "popping" sound when I was stopping. (turns out it was the headset...that's not the real issue) Also, whenever I stood to pedal, I was getting another odd noise.

The owner threw the bike in the stand and, while he walked away to help another customer, I happened to notice a crack in the frame!!!! I will get a pic of it tomorrow but, the long and short is that it SOUNDS like Spesh is going to warranty out the frame. I am going to keep my fingers crossed as I haven't heard back from them yet but, the head tech and the owner both made it sound like something they will honor.

bvibert

Staff member
Yup, no issues whatsoever getting my Specialized MTB frame warrantied when it developed a small crack at the bottom of the seat tube. I was even able to upgrade in the process (for some extra $$).

BackLoafRiver

Yup, no issues whatsoever getting my Specialized MTB frame warrantied when it developed a small crack at the bottom of the seat tube. I was even able to upgrade in the process (for some extra $$).

That's good to know. I will keep my fingers crossed and I'll update as soon as I hear.

Puck it

No bike carnage, but the trails are getting to dry behind my house. About four times last night, I barely recovered from the bike fishtailing in the loose sand and gravel at a pretty good clip.

BackLoafRiver

So...hopefully this doesn't jinx it, but the shop called. Specialized is giving me a 2013 Tarmac sl4 frame as a replacement for my sl2. Here's to hoping!!!!!!!