• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skinnies/Log Rides

MR. evil

WOW! I justed checked out a few videos of Millers Pond, that place looks sick. How far is it from Nam?
It's about 15 minutes south of Hartford, So maybe 50 minutes from exit 8 or 9 (I 84) on the MA pike. Check out BikeRag.com for good info on the place. The guy to runs BR also built all the trails & stunts at Millers.

MR. evil

Awesome riding. I can do bunny hopping pretty well, but how do you do that back wheel hop? i never could get that down. Argh.

That's not me. I'm the hack on the red bike. I'm still trying to learn how to pedal kick (back wheel hop) myself.

eatskisleep

Me and Austin did this one yesterday... there are a few more good ones here:

5899603692_e2f081abdf_z.jpg

eatskisleep

You can see the first half from the picture; certainly a mind game... :spin:

bvibert

Staff member
Wow, I don't think that would end well for me. Mostly because I'd probably over think it...

Riverskier

Looks wide with a lot of room for error. That said, I wouldn't be caught dead on that thing. Not worth the risk in the off chance that something went wrong.

bvibert

Staff member
There's a been a few new skinnies popping up at my local haunt. Now I just need to get the nerve up to try some. I gotta get over being worried about how I'm going to bail if something goes wrong, and just go for it.

MR. evil

There's a been a few new skinnies popping up at my local haunt. Now I just need to get the nerve up to try some. I gotta get over being worried about how I'm going to bail if something goes wrong, and just go for it.

How's your wheelie drop?
If you can nail down a wheelie drop to the side, log rides become much less intimidating.

bvibert

Staff member
Practiced my wheelie drop a little last night during my ride, including on the infamous rock that Jeff witnessed a few years back. I think I'm getting the hang of it...

o3jeff

Practiced my wheelie drop a little last night during my ride, including on the infamous rock that Jeff witnessed a few years back. I think I'm getting the hang of it...

lol, were you able to complete the back flip on the bike, you were close a few years ago!

MR. evil

When I first started getting consistent at wheelie drops and then venturing into elevated Skinnies I ran into a small problem. The 2 or 3 gear combos that I hade down for wheelie drops were not the gear combos I like for riding skinnies. This resulted and a badley failed bail attempt from an elevated log ride at Vietnam that saw me landing on my face. I was lucky enough to be wearing a full face helmet that day, but it still hurt pretty good. From that day on I worked on both my wheelie drops and skinnies to make sure my proffered gear ratios for each matched up so that when ever I am on an elevated log ride I KNOW that I will have no issues pulling an emergency wheelie drop.

awf170

What are you preferred gear ratios for each? Seems weird to be that different. I run a 32 up front and prefer to wheelie drop from anywhere between the 2nd biggest and 4th out back. And those are also the rings I use for log skinnies. Actually I pretty much never use another other rings beyond those three useless I'm riding somewhere that is really fast or has really long and not very technical uphills.

MR. evil

What are you preferred gear ratios for each? Seems weird to be that different. I run a 32 up front and prefer to wheelie drop from anywhere between the 2nd biggest and 4th out back. And those are also the rings I use for log skinnies. Actually I pretty much never use another other rings beyond those three useless I'm riding somewhere that is really fast or has really long and not very technical uphills.

Now I use the same gear ratios for both, 32T up front, middle of the cluster out back. I used to like to ride skinnies in a much lower gear that didn't give me enough umph for wheelie drops; resulting in said fall on face at Nam....which I belive you were present for :)

bvibert

Staff member
I imagine that the speed at which you're traveling would have an impact on which gear works better for the pedal kick, wouldn't it? I guess that most skinnies are done relatively slowly though..