• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Introducing AlpineZone.com's "Resident" Boot Fitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Jeff Bokum, a Master Bootfitter and board-certified Pedorthist, has agreed to participate here and answer any questions in regards to boots and boot fitting. He will be posting under the username of Skiiboot. In addition to his Pedorthist credentials, Jeff is a Masterfit Instructor and the owner of Profile Orthotic Center at S&W Sports in Concord, New Hampshire. He is also a professional firefighter with the Portsmouth New Hampshire Fire Department with a Level III state certification in firefighting, EMT intermediate certification and Level II Rescue Systems. He has been a ski boot tester with Ski Press magazine since 2002. Please join me in welcoming Jeff to the AlpineZone community!

NHpowderhound

Welcome Jeff! I just may have to come by your shop and pay you a visit.
Good bootfitting can make a tremendous difference in your skiing. I think many peole here will agree with me that they would rather have good boots and mediocre skis rather than mediocre boots and good skis. And good boots need a good fit. It frys my a$$ that most boot companies will charge $500+ for boots and give you a piece of cardboard for an insole :angry: .
I look forward to reading your input on this forum Jeff!
((*
*))NHPH

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome Jeff! I'm sure I'll have some questions for you as the season starts up.

Skiiboot

Thank you all for the warm reception. I'm very happy to help out with boot or foot problems that you may have. If you have a question please ASK or send me a message, and I will answer the question the best I can. I also a wide range of resorces to get answers that I don't know.

Thanks

Jeff Bokum C-Ped

SKIQUATTRO

Hey Jeff welcome, I'm down here on Long Island NY, appears that SUREFOOT NYC is the closest "best boot fitter" in this area. Do you have any experience with them or have heard anything about them?

JimG.

Staff member
NHpowderhound said:
I think many peole here will agree with me that they would rather have good boots and mediocre skis rather than mediocre boots and good skis. NHPH

The essential truth about ski gear. Boots are everything!

And if you've never had custom footbeds and a proper boot fitting, well you just haven't really felt what it's like to ski.

If you've never had a personal boot fitter, get thee to Jeff (or your friendly neighborhood boot fitter)!

Charlie Schuessler

JimG. said:
NHpowderhound said:
I think many peole here will agree with me that they would rather have good boots and mediocre skis rather than mediocre boots and good skis. NHPH

The essential truth about ski gear. Boots are everything!

And if you've never had custom footbeds and a proper boot fitting, well you just haven't really felt what it's like to ski.

If you've never had a personal boot fitter, get thee to Jeff (or your friendly neighborhood boot fitter)!

I could not have said it better...

Charlie Schuessler

Having had custom footbeds made by a master boot fitter, I've notice in some ski shops they offer "quick custom footbeds" in the ski shop...what is the difference if there is any?

Skiiboot

Charlie, Quick footbed are just that quick, Most thim to fit or quick footbeds are better than nothing, but very limited in motion control. Something quick is for fitting the masses, but really doesn't fit anybody properly. But a good custom footbed made by a fitter that knows what is going will make the world of differance in your skiing, for many reasons.

Jeff

Rushski

Welcome to the mix, will be nice to have a proffessional boot guy on board.

What do you think of Nordica's heatable liners? Obviously not as custom-fit as a Zipfit or Strolz foam liner, but seem to at least help a little...

Skiiboot

Rushski
Nordica's liner is a good liner. The liner will mold a bit. The last 2 years the Lange CAC liner has had been the most moldable, just talking liners. Boot shells different subject. The Nordica liner is also pritty durable and will stand-up for a good 180 to 200 days.

Jeff

skibum1321

I have a wide foot and currently have the Salomon X-Wave 10 boots. I was wondering what other brands of boots would be good for someone with a wider foot. I have heard that Rossi and Lange tend to have a narrower fit. I have also heard that Head tend to be wide.

Rushski

Thanks Jeff, makes me feel better about my purchase of their Beast boots. My barely used Salomons will not fit over my added tendon to my Achilles and the Nordica's wider ankle pocket fits better.

Thanks again.

highpeaksdrifter

Jeff, people often buy boots that are too big for them. The boots feel good in the shop, but they don't take into account how they'll break in and pack out. I know all feet are different, but is there a general rule of thumb you tell people to follow. For instance, what size boot would you recommand a person buy with a shoe size of 9, average width. The person being an expert skier, looking for performance over confort, but doesn't want to be in pain all day either.
Thanks, HPD

Status
Not open for further replies.