• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Introducing AlpineZone.com's "Resident" Boot Fitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiiboot

Mckay, Your are having a blood vessel pinched. That is making your toes going to sleep. A footbed will help if there are made properly. There may be some other things going on

Thanks

Jeff

mckay

Thanks Jeff. I have found that the problem is made better by wearing thinner socks. I'm thinking that if a small change like that makes it better now, it might go away once I've worn the boots in a bit more.

JimG.

Staff member
JimG. said:
And this is the heart of the matter...everyone will benefit from a good boot fitting. My boot fitter tells me my feet are more or less ideal...good arches, not too low or high; not too wide, not too skinny; good solid ankles; no significant bowing of my lower legs.

I know I go on about this, but after my first custom boot fitting my skiing went to a completely different level. I started to do all of the things I had been told to do but never "felt" in my skiing. I stopped floundering and started ripping.

"Get thee to a bootfitter" is my motto for anyone buying new boots or complaining about older boots.

I feel weird quoting myself, but it's nice to see others discover the essential truth about boot fitting. And it's obvious from all these satisfied customers that Jeff is good at what he does.

njdrumrun

hi jeff,

i only read the first four pages so if this is a repeat..sorry.

we are just getting into skiing and are going to buy our own boots and then rent skis until we find what we like. is there a fitter in the central NJ area that you might recommend?? or recommend we stay away from(in a PM please).

Greg

Staff member
If anyone deserves some rep, it's Jeff. If he helped you this season, give some positive rep on his posts.

snowbird

my pain

Hello Jeff, I'm not sure if you can help me. I am located in Los Angeles, CA, but maybe you can give some advice and tips, here is my post:

I got a new pair of Burton Boxer boots, which I have worn for 5 full days now.

I have worn it using both its original sole and superfeet wintergreen (with no noticeable difference)

When I wear the boots at home, or when walking around, there is no pain.

When I snowboard for the first 30 minutes or so, I start feeling a big discomfort/pain which makes me want to remove my boots. The pain is felt around "peroneus tertius tendon" or maybe around the 5th metatarsal bone, in other words, from the outside of my foot to the ball of my foot.

anatomy of the foot

The feeling I get is as though the bottom of my boot is putting too much pressure on that part of my foot. (or maybe the top of the boot? I'm not sure) Removing my boot from the binding helps slightly to relieve the discomfort.

The thing is that the discomfort/pain goes away after 30 minutes of snowboarding (i don't know, maybe the adrenaline masks the pain?). But then it re-appears, if I take a lunch rest (without removing my feet from the boots) and go for a long run.

I wish I could find out what is causing this discomfort, I would really love to have my boots to be so comfortable, that I could wear it ALL day and never have any discomfort (even after 30 minutes of continuous downhill snowboarding).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing my boot problem?

Thanks in advance boot fitting gurus!

Skiiboot

Snowbird,
Sounds like you are having some problems with your foot not being stable in the boots. Please understand that without doing a good exam on your feet it is tough to tell you how to fix the problem. I could be as simple as a good custom footbed and a good fit, or could be much more complex.
Thank you for the question. If I can help you please call me.

Jeff

thaller1

Expert Boot Guy-

I have only been skiing for 4 years..my first boots I bought w/o help at a discount sports store ... needless to say I bought them much too big based on the fact the smaller ones weren't comfortable!

Second pair- very comfortable Saloman Xwave 10s...but over time I was clawing at the bottom of the boots with the balls of my feet trying to gain control..

So, I thought I needed a more flexible boot since I've started skiing powder, but ended up with a Tecnica Attiva V8s... they are a 24.5 and my other boots were 26.5... they are comfortable except for the toes touching the end of the boot ...not used to that... when I get into the ski stance and press the tongues against my leg the toes slide back..but I have an awful time keepin them there.

I've only skied on them two days.. do you think they will loosen up or do I need to work on my stance??

Thanks!

Skiiboot

Thaller1,
Thanks for the question, The boot should start to give you a bit of room. If they don't, they can be streched. Please keep in mind that a properly made footbed will make your foot a little smaller and give you the proper support. It is much easer to give you the room you need, after I know your foot isn't going to move were I don't want it to.

Thank you

Jeff

Greg

Staff member
thaller1 - you're not right aroud the corner, but if you can get over to Concord, Jeff is the guy to see. It seems like the shell size you have is right, but you need to be properly fitted with a custom footbed and have all the fore/aft alignment, canting, etc. that Jeff is an expert at performed. You won't regret making the trip. Good luck!

Skiiboot

thaller1

I don't think you need a new liner, A footbed and a little room for the toe is all you need.

Jeff

uphillklimber

Jeff

Jeff,

This is getting to be a real long thread. I live about an hour from Concord, so it's not much of a trip. When I come up with some extra cash, I would like to pay you a visit. Do you have regular hours? Are you available for business in the Summer? Should I call and make an appointment, or is walk in okay?

Skiiboot

Bob,

I am available in the summer, Because of my full time job, I do most work by Appt. I work around your schedule.
Call me at 603-491-4917 when you are ready.

Thanks

Jeff

uphillklimber

Will do Jeff. Not sure when, but I'll be looking you up. You come well recommended.

madskier6

I'm planning on coming to Concord at some point early this winter for a proper bootfitting from Jeff for me and my wife. My question for Jeff is: If both my wife and I are interested in getting new boots and having you custom fit us with footbeds and the like, do you analyze our feet and then recommend a specific boot or couple of boots?

I know that you said you do not sell boots yourself but rather partner with S&W Sports across the street. In any event, it would seem to me that some boots are better for certain feet than others. Of course, how a boot feels on a skier is very important but your expertise and insight into the various boot manufacturers would seem to be an important element of the overall bootfitting experience with you. Am I wrong?

BTW, I'm an expert skier who has been skiing for 39 years (with a few years off while our children were young). I like to ski the tough stuff including powder, glades, trees, bumps and cruisers. I like a reasonably high performance boot but comfort is important to me as well. Based on what I've heard, read and researched on the Internet, the finalists for boots for me are as follows:

Salomon X Wave 10
Nordica Speedmachine 14
Technica Diablo Magnesium

When I come to Concord, would you be able to help me decide which of these (or any others for that matter) would be the best fit for me and then customize the chosen boot for my feet? Or should I try on various boots before I come, choose one based on how they fit and feel to me and then bring them up to you for customization?

Many thanks.

Skiiboot

madskier,

Sorry for the delayed responce. I make sure that S&W carries boots for all ages and abilities. The boots you picked are all very good boots, but may or may not fit or work for you. That is something we will figure out. I do believe that I will have 2 out of the 3 boots you listed I will have the speedmachine 10 maybe 12, not many people are strong enough to flex the 14 the way it is made to. When you come up call me first to make an Appt. That way you and your family will get all the time you would like and need.

Thanks for the question

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.