• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New or Used?

mondeo

IMHO, you've already made the choice to go MTB. This bike is in no way a compromise for a decent entry level MTB. At that price range you're not really going to find anything better for MTB, unless you go used or 26er. The 29er option seems to add about $100-$200 to the price.
Not arguing the bike itself is a compromise, I would just suggest throwing out the road bike stuff. If you'd get a 26er if you had a seperate road bike, get a 26er. Save the money on the tires. Enjoy your MTBing to the fullest extent you can until you can afford the road bike, and then you'll be in a good place with both bikes and save some money while you're at it.

Or at least, don't even ride a road bike until you can buy one. Ignorance can be bliss.

MR. evil

Not arguing the bike itself is a compromise, I would just suggest throwing out the road bike stuff. If you'd get a 26er if you had a seperate road bike, get a 26er. Save the money on the tires. Enjoy your MTBing to the fullest extent you can until you can afford the road bike, and then you'll be in a good place with both bikes and save some money while you're at it.

Or at least, don't even ride a road bike until you can buy one. Ignorance can be bliss.

I am a little confused here. Are you under the impression that a 29er is some sort of hybrid bike meant for on and off road?

mondeo

I am a little confused here. Are you under the impression that a 29er is some sort of hybrid bike meant for on and off road?

Nope, just addressing this:

I wanted to do some road biking in addition to single track stuff. From what I understand (which, admittedly is very little) the 29ers work well dealing with obstacles but can translate to road biking fairly well. (compared to the 26's which make road biking a little more difficult) I wanted to hit up some long range rides in the future (Trek across Maine next year and possibly the Dempsy Challenge this year) and knew I couldn't afford two bikes I am sure that would be ideal.
I would never recommend a hybrid to anyone that will be serious about biking. They just don't work well at anything.

BackLoafRiver

According to the stuff I have read, the 29er is still a mountain bike but thanks to bigger wheels, bigger contact patch, etc. it is able to handle roots, bumps and a few other things with greater ease than a 26. This, however, all comes at a cost. You sacrifice a few things with the bigger wheels, right? Acceleration is a bit slower, but you are able to maintain momentum.

Now I am not sure which way to go, 29 or 26. The internet is flooded with various articles arguing both points.

I do agree, the more I think about it, the more I want to take the machine into the woods to "play" so finding the right bike in my price range that gives me the best bang for my buck is the best suggestion.

tjf67

Hey all,

I am still putzing around trying to find the right bike and I am debating about going to a local shop to buy new or go used. I haven't found the "exact" bike I am looking for yet used but did see a deal on a used Gary Fisher. (I am looking for the mamba used but have found a used tassajara fairly inexpensively)

Thoughts on buying from a dealer vs. private used sales?

I am really itching to get out on the road! :)

Thanks as always for the help.

If you are buying a road bike I dont see anything wrong with buying used.

big oz

Unless you or someone you know has some expertise in bikes, the best bet is to go new or look at leftovers and shop demos. All should carry at least a minimal warranty and come rider ready. Another option is to fish around for shop employee rigs. Generally never ridden cuz they work to much during the season and are always dumping product for the latest and greatest. They get em cheap, you can get em cheaper. The problem with used stuff is that anyone can degrease and clean a bike really well and make it look sharp. It is hard to pickup on problems like internal fork issues and drivetrain wear unless you have had some prior experience. And unlike cars there is no odometer or Kelley Blue Book to give you an edge.

AdironRider

I bought my Giant Reign x1 new from a shop. Even at 2600 bones (which sounds insane but really is totally worth it for a great bike), Im happy with my purchase. Bike shops are a dime a dozen if you ask me, but mountain bikes get ridden hard at all times. There are deals to be found used but its not like buying a car from a little old lady. Most used bikes are beat up or not maintained Ive found.

However, now that I have made the investment, I doubt Ill buy another bike new for a long, long time. With my Giant I get a full lifetime warranty on my frame, and an awesome component setup right out of the box (Fox Van 36r, SRAM X.9 all around, Hayes Stroker trails, etc). As the components wear out or break I can upgrade even more, or just replace via ebay on the cheap, and I know the frame is good.

Used bikes (especially downhill bikes) live a tough life, I like knowing that Ive taken care of it from new.

BackLoafRiver

If you don't have the bucks to buy new at a bike shop, get a lightly used bike and a copy of "Zen and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenace".

Found a bunch of copies on Amazon. I guess it is "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance." Should be arriving this week. If nothing else, I figure its pretty good for the details.

Headed to my LBS after work to do some test rides on that Mamba and a Cobia. My big fear is that I will fall in love with the Cobia, thus adding a few more $$ to the price tag. It could get hella ugly pretty fast.

BackLoafRiver

Finally, after what feels like months....

..I got my bike today.!!

Went to lbs and spend the better part of 3 hours test riding bikes. The poor sales rep was super patient but I was worried I was getting to her. I absolutely fell in love with the Gary Fisher Xcal but it was way out of my price range. What a bike! In the end, I narrowed it down between the Cobia and the PIrahna. I grabbed the Cobia for an absolute steal. In the end, it felt so comfortable and was such a fun ride.

Took it out tonight for an hour and did a 6 mile ride. I can't wait to get back home and try it on some local stuff.

My only complaint is that when I am on the smaller gear set, the 7th (or 14th, or 21st) there is a popping sound and felt like the chain skips. i am going to take it back tomorrow just to make sure it doesn't have anything really wrong with it.

Thanks for the advice all.

Wow..but they are on sale. Are most of you guys riding like $500 bikes or $1,000 bikes or $2,000 bikes??? It seems like mountain bikes last longer than skis if maintained properly. After watching some footage from Blue..I'm thinking about taking the plunge..I might have to hit up a demo..

I would say most of us are on sub $2000 bikes(2knees even still has his price tag on his $249). Best thing is to get something more reasonably priced to make sure you are in it for the long haul.

GSS, you better hurry up and get a bike so you can make it to this http://forums.alpinezone.com/56752-meshomasic-post-ride-bbq-sat-06-27-a.html

I'm gonna be in DC that day...the last time I was on a Mountain Bike was when I lived in Bozeman..my friend Tom and I rode 4 miles up a switchback dirt road in the Bridgers and he wanted to take technical singletrack down which was mad steep and I coasted down the road..the high center of gravity is what kept me from going back. I know the Bike I was on was a Trek..and I think it was a girls bike...

MR. evil

Is that normal for a high end bike?

I got my frame (frame / rear shock) at season end close for 50% off, but full price was $2400 for the frame and rear shock alone. You can easily spend almost $1000 for a really nice suspension fork, and a nice set of hand built wheels with high end hubs can run you almost $1000.

mondeo

Wow..but they are on sale. Are most of you guys riding like $500 bikes or $1,000 bikes or $2,000 bikes??? It seems like mountain bikes last longer than skis if maintained properly. After watching some footage from Blue..I'm thinking about taking the plunge..I might have to hit up a demo..
I think I got my road bike for something like $1200, usually like $1400 but they didn't have the next model down (the one I wanted) so I got a deal.

When I get a MTB next year, it'll probably be around $1K.

MR. evil

When I get a MTB next year, it'll probably be around $1K.

unless you can find a season close out or a get a real steel don't even think about getting a new FS bike that costs less than $1500. Any thing cheaper than that and you are almost wasting your money. The corners that have to cut and componets used on a FS bike in that price range garantees problems if its used on technical single track. $800 is a pretty good price point for a nice HT that can handle some abuse and will last for years. Or spend that $1000 and look for a newer used bike and you will be able to get something pretty nice.

Last edited:

mondeo

Nnless you can find a season close out or a get a real steel don't even think about getting a new FS bike that costs less than $1500. Any thing cheaper than that and you are almost wasting your money. The corners that have to cut and componets used on a FS bike in that price range garantees problems if its used on technical single track. $800 is a pretty good price point for a nice HT that can handle some abuse and will last for years. Or spend that $1000 and look for a newer used bike and you will be able to get something pretty nice.
I was planning on starting on a HT.