• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New or Used?

BackLoafRiver

Hey all,

I am still putzing around trying to find the right bike and I am debating about going to a local shop to buy new or go used. I haven't found the "exact" bike I am looking for yet used but did see a deal on a used Gary Fisher. (I am looking for the mamba used but have found a used tassajara fairly inexpensively)

Thoughts on buying from a dealer vs. private used sales?

I am really itching to get out on the road! :)

Thanks as always for the help.

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
First bike, get new from a shop and make sure they take care of you.

My first bike was from a shop in Bethel, CT (who I shan't name) but they treated me like an undocumented worker when I took the bike back because of a problem. It cost them in the in end because I ended up buying three new bikes after that, one from a competing shop and one off Ebay (new frame) and another from custom frame builder in Michigan.

mondeo

Agree with Gremf. First bike, it's worth it to work with a dealer, get a couple years of free service, and get your feet wet generally.

BackLoafRiver

Agree with Gremf. First bike, it's worth it to work with a dealer, get a couple years of free service, and get your feet wet generally.

Are dealers usually good about servicing the bike for free? I am sure it is dealer specific, but it would be cool to know if it was industry practice.

Also, any suggestions for taking bikes for a test ride? What should I be looking for?

SKidds

Used advocate here. I went with a used Fisher Hoo Koo when I decided to get a bike. Primarily a budget issue for me. With only a couple hundred dollars to spend I could:

1) Go to Wal Mart and get a Highway Star piece of crap special.

or

2) Get a lightly used high end bike with great components.

Kind of a no brainer for me. Yes, I had to do some light maintenance and replace the chain, but if you are gonna get into biking you need to learn how to do that for yourself anyway.

If the cheapest new bike a shop can offer with decent frame and components (which probably wouldn't even be as good as what is on the Tassajara) is several hundred dollars more than what you spend on the used Fisher.....I say go for the used Fisher.

MR. evil

Are dealers usually good about servicing the bike for free? I am sure it is dealer specific, but it would be cool to know if it was industry practice.

Also, any suggestions for taking bikes for a test ride? What should I be looking for?

Most bike shops will give you one or two free tune-ups or adjustments with a purchase of a new bike. But don't expect anything beyond that.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
First bike, get new from a shop and make sure they take care of you.

My first bike was from a shop in Bethel, CT (who I shan't name) but they treated me like an undocumented worker when I took the bike back because of a problem. It cost them in the in end because I ended up buying three new bikes after that, one from a competing shop and one off Ebay (new frame) and another from custom frame builder in Michigan.

eff that

name names! if they;re that bad share the story...

for instance, i have a bank of america story that is summed up when i say they gave me 590 dollars in overdraft fees in 6 days. no purchase on the debit card was for more than 20 dollars at a time.... dicks

Talisman

If you don't have the bucks to buy new at a bike shop, get a lightly used bike and a copy of "Zen and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenace". Root around and you can find some deals where people bought the nice mid range bike and barely rode it.

Free maintenace on a bike can run the gamut of not doing much with your bike to really comprehensive service. Some bike shops have service which should be free because they are slow and don't do the work propoerly the first time. A good bike from a good LBS is the way to go, if the LBS is good and some are mediocre or worse.

WoodCore

I've bought both my bikes online and haven't had a issue. They arrived in good condition and with minor assembly worked well out of the box. I try to keep up on my bikes and being an engineer maybe makes this a little easier regardless, it's not that hard to do a little research to find out how to keep your ride in good working order.

BackLoafRiver

I am kind of a "champaign taste on a beer budget kinda guy". Luckily for me, I can afford decent beer so I am not at the rot gut Natty Light stage. More like Stone Brewing Company.

Beer talk aside....

I missed the boat on the Gary Fisher that was up for grabs. I am pretty sure I am looking at spending around $850 on a 29er through a bike shop in Portland. The guy was super helpful and really informative. I am sure the components aren't the best (http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mamba/bigimage) but from everything I read, it is what I should be getting into for an entry level bike.

I keep checking for a used one online but haven't found anything yet. The shop deals pretty heavily with Trek and Fisher so they can offer it $70 - $90 cheaper than other shops in the state.

bvibert

Staff member
That should be a pretty good bike. The price seems a bit on the high side to me, but 29ers seem to tack a bit onto the price. If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason that you're going for a 29er over a 26"?

Most importantly of all is the fit. I assume you've taken it out for a test ride? Make sure the bike fits you good. Try to ride some bikes from different manufacturers and see what feels good to you. Make sure the shop is willing to work with you in fine tuning the fit once you find the right bike for you. You can get the best deal in the world on a bike, but if you're uncomfortable you won't be happy.

BackLoafRiver

No worries on the questions...

I wanted to do some road biking in addition to single track stuff. From what I understand (which, admittedly is very little) the 29ers work well dealing with obstacles but can translate to road biking fairly well. (compared to the 26's which make road biking a little more difficult) I wanted to hit up some long range rides in the future (Trek across Maine next year and possibly the Dempsy Challenge this year) and knew I couldn't afford two bikes I am sure that would be ideal.

I am planning on taking the bike for a spin this weekend. (if I can get the free time) The guy at the shop seemed more than happy to work with me on fit. Again, he and I spent over an hour discussing possible set-ups and he was pretty convinced the 29 was the way to go. Maybe he was just looking to push product and I am "that guy". There was a GF Cobia in the store but it was another $200 and that is way out of my price range. (especially when you throw in all the gear to lug the bike around)

It seems like the only knock on the Mamba is the Dart 3. Most posts seem to bash it. Seems like a lot of people have had them leak oil on the first few rides and had to have it fixed. (luckily under warranty)

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry, I forgot that you had posted about getting a bike earlier, I remember the details now. That bike should fit your needs well, though it leans more towards the off-road side of things. I don't have any personal experience with the Dart 3, but I think it should be fine for what you're doing and you're not going to get anything better at that price range anyway. It has a lockout, which will probably be nice when you're road riding. Just remember that this bike will be heavier and slower than a road bike, which you'll notice on extended road rides for sure. I'd get some slicks for doing the road stuff at least.

BackLoafRiver

Sorry, I forgot that you had posted about getting a bike earlier, I remember the details now. That bike should fit your needs well, though it leans more towards the off-road side of things. I don't have any personal experience with the Dart 3, but I think it should be fine for what you're doing and you're not going to get anything better at that price range anyway. It has a lockout, which will probably be nice when you're road riding. Just remember that this bike will be heavier and slower than a road bike, which you'll notice on extended road rides for sure. I'd get some slicks for doing the road stuff at least.

Yeah, this thread has accidentally come full circle and is around the original thread I started. Sorry about that.

"Off - road" leanings is pretty much what I am looking for. I want to check out trail riding and see what I can do. Something to help pass the time between ski seasons :)

As for tires, I read somewhere about a 700 something cross road tire. I will have to find the exact model and post it to see what people think.

Any other thoughts? Know of any good rides to start out with in the Maine/ Vermont area?

mondeo

Talk to Marc about using a MTB as a road bike. If I were you I'd decide which you'd rather do, MTB or road, and get a bike specifically for that. There's so much of a difference in what each is designed for that if you try to go somehwere in the middle you sacrifice tons on both.

mondeo

Hmm...are you suggesting this is not so much a good idea? :)
My path was to suck it up and sacrifice the MTB for a couple years until I can afford one; until then I have a really nice road bike, once I can afford a MTB I'll have two good dedicated purpose bikes.

bvibert

Staff member
IMHO, you've already made the choice to go MTB. This bike is in no way a compromise for a decent entry level MTB. At that price range you're not really going to find anything better for MTB, unless you go used or 26er. The 29er option seems to add about $100-$200 to the price.