• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blocked P-paths

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Here on Teton Pass the FS has mandated that all downhill trails have to have pussyfoot bypasses for the folks who dont want to do the drops, gaps, and whatnot, but there are at least two mandatory log rides (one 15 footer over a ten foot ravine, and a 30 footer over a river). These could be walked over, but when I first went down the trails I found it to be more of a challenge to try and balance myself and walk a bike over a 8 inch wide 30 foot long log than it was just to sack up and ride it. Not wanting to fall into 36 degree water is a damn good way to get good at log rides realll quick.

I have no problem with these pussyfoot trails. They open up the trails to more ability levels, and if implemented properly do not cause that much harm to the surrounding landscape.

Hard to compare issues where out west you have millions of acres of blm land and back here we are challenge for recreational spaces. Sound like cool trails though.

Trev

It all seems soo simple..

Don't want to try more difficult stuff or the trail is too hard for you, stay on an easy trail, don't degrade the harder trail to your liking.

Want harder stuff, stay on a harder trail, don't take the easy paths and throw brick walls in the middle of them.

Maybe that's too damn complicated...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
It can be hard when trails aren't marked for difficulty. We've done a few things on our local networks here. We've kept open easy and hard lines, but people still refuse to ride the easy line, start down the hard line, decide they don't want to go for it and create a NEW line around the obsticle. We've tried coving up the GFRs but they are dilligently uncovered. As an end result, we create trail for the lowest skilled rider. Then go back and add tech options for skilled rides in the same trail cooridor.
Example: A log falls that we want to keep. We burry it with dirt so it's an easy ride over...then, the approprite distance down trail, we find a big flat rock and bury just to the edge of the trail. Beginners ride over the log and get a thrill...more skilled rides mach thru, air off the log, gap out to the rock that creates a nice landing transition, a feature that a rider traveling much slower didn't even realize was there. On old trails, we'll take out features that are causing people to ride around and widen the trail, tighten up the damage that's been done, and add things that can be ridden over, or aired off of. Making one single track have 2 very different lines.
It's an unfortunate reality that at areas that see alot of traffic, you have to dumb stuff down if you really only want there to be one narrow single track.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Trail marking is an excellent point. The paths around here that you hear mention of have no markings other than the state trail markings (if that). There is no indication of difficulty level; the only way you'd know is by going with someone who has been there before, and then you're basing it on their opinion, which may not be in line with your views of difficulty.

AdironRider

Hard to compare issues where out west you have millions of acres of blm land and back here we are challenge for recreational spaces. Sound like cool trails though.

Actually its exactly the opposite. People are incredibly protective of the land out here. Ranchers guard the range with their life, its their livelihood. That in combination with a bunch of people ranging from hippies to hipsters, senior citizens to teenagers all having the green bug leads to a general population that likes to keep those spaces wild and untouched. When I lived back East, I found that it was much more common for parkland and woodlands to be used at will. But thats just my experience.

Check out this vid of the trails I ride, this guy is a much better rider than I am, but this is my run after work everyday. This guy rips, just another east coast transplant who rides harder than most. Lots of these cats out here.

http://www.vimeo.com/1267591

Actually its exactly the opposite. People are incredibly protective of the land out here. Ranchers guard the range with their life, its their livelihood. That in combination with a bunch of people ranging from hippies to hipsters, senior citizens to teenagers all having the green bug leads to a general population that likes to keep those spaces wild and untouched. When I lived back East, I found that it was much more common for parkland and woodlands to be used at will. But thats just my experience.

Check out this vid of the trails I ride, this guy is a much better rider than I am, but this is my run after work everyday. This guy rips, just another east coast transplant who rides harder than most. Lots of these cats out here.

http://www.vimeo.com/1267591

One of the sickest videos ever!!!!

big oz

Thanks....seems that i had to resort to screwing deadfall across the trail to get the message across. If they tear this down i am buying some wire and field fence from Tractor Supply.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work! I gotta get out that way to see that thing soon. I'm kinda bummed that we were right in that area on Sunday, but didn't ride that particular trail. I was tempted to swing by there just to see if the braid was still blocked, but we were on a limited time schedule.