• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2005-11-06 MT Willey NH 4K

Mike P.

Great report, I've been up Willey twice & both times viewless, I want to get there again when th visibility is more than 100 feet.

because-its-there

I enjoyed reading your report. Did you hike the 5th & 6th or the 6th & 7th. I was hiking with friends on Mt Waumbek 11/5. That day was beautiful Temp. in N. Conway was 67 deg.

I also hiked Mt Willey Sept 17th but only hiked over from Mt Field to Mt Willey then down to Ethan pond trail back to Rt 302. See Trip report date Sept 23rd. It is very steep coming down from Willey. I can only imagine having to hike up then down this part. That day there was no view from Willey either. As stated in my report.

BIT

Mike P.

I also prefer up steep to down steep when it's slick, not much difference in summer. Prefer only descending trails I'm familar with in winter, either by going up them earlier in the day or previously in the past couple of years.

Last I went up Willey & past Ethan Pond while summits were viewless weather broke as I came through Zealand Notch so got some views from Zealand Notch floor & over pond at a changing sky.

pepsi

Great trip report and congratulations on number two. Ethan Pond is a great area.

I'm glad Skeetah Bait waited until after they replaced the ladders to do that one :D

Skier75

pepsi said:
I'm glad Skeetah Bait waited until after they replaced the ladders to do that one :D

What??? Replace the ladders....what'da mean? You mean there weren't any ladders there before??? :eek: Phew! LOL JK I can't imagine what they were like before! I can betcha ten to one, I would've never touched those with a ten foot pole if they looked any worse than they did! Like I said, I either must be getting more brave or just insane! :wink: