• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

David Carradine

wa-loaf

He was in Bangkok. What do you expect? ..........

Not to belittle the guy. Though I had not a clue who he was until I read this thread either. I have not seen Kill Bill nor Kung Fu. There were some deaths like this when I was in high school, IIRC. Something about getting lightheaded is supposed to enhance the experience but you have to be careful about how long you cut off the oxygen. Sad tragedy.

<cough> Micheal Hutchence </cough>

ComeBackMudPuddles

Sad tragedy.

sad? yes.

tragedy? no.

assuming this is what happened, a guy killing himself while attempting a dangerous sexual act isn't a tragedy. maybe unfortunate, but, not a tragedy.

btw, not trying to pick on you, severine, and i'm not trying to make light of the guy's death. it's just that the overuse of some words, like "tragedy" or "tragic", is a pet peeve of mine.

"tragedy" should be reserved for describing really tragic things, like the quality of highway star's posts.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
sad? yes.

tragedy? no.

assuming this is what happened, a guy killing himself while attempting a dangerous sexual act isn't a tragedy. maybe unfortunate, but, not a tragedy.

btw, not trying to pick on you, severine, and i'm not trying to make light of the guy's death. it's just that the overuse of some words, like "tragedy" or "tragic", is a pet peeve of mine.

"tragedy" should be reserved for describing really tragic things, like the quality of highway star's posts.
tragic
Adjective
1. sad and distressing because it involves death or suffering: she was blinded in a tragic accident
2. of or like a tragedy: a tragic hero
3. sad or mournful: a tragic melody

trag·e·dy (trj-d)
n. pl. trag·e·dies
a. A drama or literary work in which the main character is brought to ruin or suffers extreme sorrow, especially as a consequence of a tragic flaw, moral weakness, or inability to cope with unfavorable circumstances.
b. The genre made up of such works.
c. The art or theory of writing or producing these works.
2. A play, film, television program, or other narrative work that portrays or depicts calamitous events and has an unhappy but meaningful ending.
3. A disastrous event, especially one involving distressing loss or injury to life: an expedition that ended in tragedy, with all hands lost at sea.
4. A tragic aspect or element.
from thefreedictionary.com (emphasis my own)

I know you weren't picking on me, but I don't consider that over-use of the word considering its definition. Also ironic, if this is indeed what happened; intended for ultimate pleasure, resulted in no more pleasure.

ComeBackMudPuddles

from thefreedictionary.com (emphasis my own)

I know you weren't picking on me, but I don't consider that over-use of the word considering its definition. Also ironic, if this is indeed what happened; intended for ultimate pleasure, resulted in no more pleasure.

well, i suppose if you think david carradine suffocating himself during a sexual act is a "disastrous event," then, maybe.

but, the key is "disastrous". and that's where the over-use comes in....

for example, lebron not making it to the NBA finals is not a "tragedy", though some people said it was.

that air france flight breaking up over the atlantic? that's a tragedy. or, that english couple jumping of a cliff with the body of their five-year old son, who had died of natural causes just before, in a sack with them? tragic.

if one calls anything and everything a tragedy, it dillutes the power of the word.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You don't consider a situation that's gone horribly awry disastrous? I think it's the irony here that makes it such to me. I agree on your examples, but I'm saying that in this case, it's the fact that an almost opposite outcome than desired was achieved is what makes it a tragedy.

ComeBackMudPuddles

You don't consider a situation that's gone horribly awry disastrous? I think it's the irony here that makes it such to me. I agree on your examples, but I'm saying that in this case, it's the fact that an almost opposite outcome than desired was achieved is what makes it a tragedy.

if we're to believe he pulled a michael hutchence, then, no, i don't think what happened is something that went "horribly awry". it's completely foreseeable that one could cross the line from suffocating oneself for sexual gratification to cutting off oxygen to one's brain to the point of death.

mondeo

if we're to believe he pulled a michael hutchence, then, no, i don't think what happened is something that went "horribly awry". it's completely foreseeable that one could cross the line from suffocating oneself for sexual gratification to cutting off oxygen to one's brain to the point of death.
Darwin Award candidates are not tradgedies in my book.