• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$$$$$ for clunkers passes

If it is combined, it is kind of hard to find a car that qualifies. It looks like you need to have one of these to trade.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=541

or

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectEngine.jsp?year=1999&make=Cadillac&model=DeVille

What we have gets a combined of 20 mpg (17 city / 26 highway) under the "new" way of calculating.

So this is good for someone who may have picked up a "winter beater" 1985 Caddy 2 years ago for $500 and decides to take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers bill and trade up to a 2010 Prius for $22,000. It looks like they will be paying $22,000 - $4,500 = $17,500 and also do not have to pay any sales tax. Not bad as that 1985 Caddy owner makes out well on the trade in.

Yeah but how could someone with a $500 car afford a discounted $22,000 car????

ctenidae

I just realized today that Cash-For-Clunkers was tucked into the funding bil for the war in Afghanistan. No way it wasn't going to pass, regardless of what anyone thinks of it.

mondeo

I just realized today that Cash-For-Clunkers was tucked into the funding bil for the war in Afghanistan. No way it wasn't going to pass, regardless of what anyone thinks of it.
There should be a constitutional amendment banning riders.

Not that it would be respected any more than the restriction of spending bills originating in the House.

Philpug

What is going to happen with these cars that are traded in? Did the owner have to have them for a period of time? what is to stop someone from picking up a POS Ford Bronco for 800 then getting a credit of 4500 on a high MPG car?

I am all for spurring auto sales. Simplify things though. Let the state sales tax a federal tax credit or let people deduct the car value off of their gross income.

skijay

What is going to happen with these cars that are traded in? Did the owner have to have them for a period of time? what is to stop someone from picking up a POS Ford Bronco for 800 then getting a credit of 4500 on a high MPG car?

I am all for spurring auto sales. Simplify things though. Let the state sales tax a federal tax credit or let people deduct the car value off of their gross income.

You have to have owned & insured & registered the car for one year or longer.
My reason for buying a new vehicle last month was the sales tax credit.

Philpug

That makes sense that you have to have it at least a year. I am still sure many of dealers are going to get some serious auditing and chargebacks for fudging some paperwork.

Warp Daddy

The notion of CALLING it a sales tax CREDIT is flawed , because it is an ABOVE THE LINE DEDUCTION from one's GROSS income NOT a REAL tax CREDIT

So --- the impact depends solely on one's tax bracket -----------------------------------------governmental double speak here :spin: So what initially looked like a $1000-1500 REAL tax credit off your tax liability isNOW just a % of that based on your bracket ----- IF i UNDERSTAND the details

So REALLY NOT much of an INCENTIVE at all :flame: