• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$$$$$ for clunkers passes

wa-loaf

Wish I had a clunker. Got rid of a VW last year, but that got like 30 mpg ...

bvibert

Staff member
If we had the money for a new car I'd trade in my wife's shit box for that credit tomorrow!

drjeff

I will refrain from comment for fear that I'll cross the AZ cardinal rule of "no political discussions" really quickly

ctenidae

I like the idea on a lot of levels. It's expensive and all, but the longer-run cost savings (both in fuel and the environment) are huge. Transportation is one of, if not the, largest energy use sectors, and improving the efficiency (and safety/reliability/etc) of the on road fleet is a good thing, I think.

koreshot

Да камрад, я понимаю

Длиной живут People' республика s Amerika

HAHAHA -- did you use one of those web translator thingies? The second sentence makes no sense.

Glenn

It's lame. It's a government sponsored way to get new cars off the lot. I think the government has f'd with the free market/domestic makers hard enough since January; leave well enough alone. I'll have read the actual bill. But as it was proposed, you theoretically could go out and use the money to buy a newer pickup. The devil is in the details.

To me, this makes about as much sense as tearing down your house to built one that's more energy efficient. "Look! I'm going to save $500 a year on my utilities! Let's ignore the fact that I just used half a forest worth of trees and litteraly tons of other raw materials...I'm saving the planet!!!!1111"

mondeo

Да камрад, я понимаю

Длиной живут People' республика s Amerika

No more speaking farking sputnik. I'm sure you guys are just talking about pirogies and snow and shit, but cut it out.

Name that movie?
Yes comrade, I [Ponima?]

Dlinoy fivoot People's respooblika s America.

I think. I don't speak Russian, but learned Cyrillic a while back, so I'm a bit rusty.

koreshot

I like the idea on a lot of levels. It's expensive and all, but the longer-run cost savings (both in fuel and the environment) are huge. Transportation is one of, if not the, largest energy use sectors, and improving the efficiency (and safety/reliability/etc) of the on road fleet is a good thing, I think.

I wonder though, what the average delta in MPG will be. Maybe 10mpg best case? Will that be enough to offset the energy impact of folks trading in perfectly fine, but old, vehicles for newer ones?

Paul

it's lame. It's a government sponsored way to get new cars off the lot. I think the government has f'd with the free market/domestic makers hard enough since january; leave well enough alone. I'll have read the actual bill. But as it was proposed, you theoretically could go out and use the money to buy a newer pickup. The devil is in the details.

To me, this makes about as much sense as tearing down your house to built one that's more energy efficient. "look! I'm going to save $500 a year on my utilities! Let's ignore the fact that i just used half a forest worth of trees and litteraly tons of other raw materials...i'm saving the planet!!!!1111"

this

mondeo

Who cares about gas mileage? Shouldn't it be consumption that we care about?

Give everyone a tax credit equal to 8000 miles at whatever the current CAFE standard is and abolish the CAFE standard while reducing the tax credit year on year to be equivalent with the planned increases in CAFE. Don't reward people for getting a more efficient car that they still drive 30,000 miles per year.

ctenidae

It's lame. It's a government sponsored way to get new cars off the lot. I think the government has f'd with the free market/domestic makers hard enough since January; leave well enough alone. I'll have read the actual bill. But as it was proposed, you theoretically could go out and use the money to buy a newer pickup. The devil is in the details.

To me, this makes about as much sense as tearing down your house to built one that's more energy efficient. "Look! I'm going to save $500 a year on my utilities! Let's ignore the fact that I just used half a forest worth of trees and litteraly tons of other raw materials...I'm saving the planet!!!!1111"

Granted, this won't hurt manufacturers any, but if you start with the premise that we need to have a more efficient vehicle fleet (which I agree with), the only way to do it is replace older ineficient cars with newer more efficient ones. Getting the old cars off the road could be done by instituting stricter emmissions rules (with no grandfathering older cars past the regulations), but that would leave people who can't afford a new car stuck with no vehicles. At least with a clunker credit, it's possible for more people to update their cars. If tighter emmissions standards are then rolled in to make the incentive less of an option, then I think the impact would be greater.

I'm quite impressed by the steps GM is taking, really. My wife and I sat slack-jawed and amazed at one ad where they basically confessed to screwing up royally.

ctenidae

Who cares about gas mileage? Shouldn't it be consumption that we care about?

Give everyone a tax credit equal to 8000 miles at whatever the current CAFE standard is and abolish the CAFE standard while reducing the tax credit year on year to be equivalent with the planned increases in CAFE. Don't reward people for getting a more efficient car that they still drive 30,000 miles per year.

If we don't want people to drive, we have to give them an alternative. Try getting suburban NIMBYs and BANANAs to allow construction of a light rail line through their backyard.

drjeff

+10

campgottagopee

Interesting responces, I find it a tad bit "over the top" but think it will spurr some sales during a very crucial time in the US auto industry.

Don't think we'll benefit from this too much around here---can't even remember the last "older than 1984" anything I took in on trade. Most of them have been scraped already.

Will be interesting to follow.