• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diamond Hill and Ski Valley in RI--Nov. 23, 2003

Joshua B

Date(s) Hiked: Sunday November 23

Trails(s) Hiked: Ski trails and some wooded non-trail areas

Total Distance:

Difficulty:

Conditions:

Special Required Equipment:

Trip Report: This is my first trip report at AlpineZone. My dad and I hiked two lost ski areas today, Diamond Hill and Ski Valley, which both utilize the same hill in Rhode Island (near North Attleboro). Greg, should this report be here or in the skiing forum? Well it's here for now. Feel free to move.

Diamond Hill has recently been transformed into a park that includes hiking trails, baseball and soccer fields, what looks to be a performance area, and ponds. Some of the ski trails and portions of others have been maintained so hiking is quite easy. On the other hand, the main double chair liftline seems to have completely grown in. In the woods I did find about 4 or 5 safety bars from chairlifts. A couple rope tow mechanisms can be found, as well as plenty of wheels mounted on poles. If you're not familiar with Diamond Hill and Ski Valley, check out Jeremy Davis' entry at www.nelsap.org. The hill itself is very steep and rocky. The trails run mostly from the top and wrap around the hill, instead of being cut straight down. I think Jeremy does a good job describing the place and with his photos, so I'll suggest you check out NELSAP if you're interested in more about the area.

On the way home while on Rt 121, I thought I saw a carousel building at a large, private home so I turned around and checked it out, and sure enough, there is a carousel housed in a nice building, outside on someone's lawn.

Thanks for reading.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Greg, should this report be here or in the skiing forum? Well it's here for now. Feel free to move.
Nope. This is appropriate.

T

Trail Turtle

Diamond Hill

HI
Just joined the site and this is my first post. I use Diamond Hill as a training area for mountain treks during the winter months. It offers exellent views and you can get a good work out hiking up and down the old ski slopes. Also the 32 mile Warren Trail starts here and ends in Canton, Mass.

:roll:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I wish I'd known about Diamond Hill back when I lived in Franklin!

I highly recommend "The Ice Cream Machine" on, I think, Rte 114? The best hand-made ice cream in that entire area...

T

Trail Turtle

Diamond Hill

I guess I had fat fingers or something the trail is the Warner Trail and Yes the Ice Cream is the best.