• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Time-Out?

Should we institute temporary bans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wa-loaf

This isn't romper room? I'd like to ask the mods what happened to "Tongue in cheek", because when I complained about something that's the response I got.

I notified the moderators of something that I felt was offensive and was told it was all "tongue in cheek" and nothing would be done because the person was "just playing around". So what defines offensive, if that's the case? What defines "acting like children"? If you're going to pick and choose who gets a warning based on whether or not you relate to and feel personally offended by the poster, what's the point of putting a system in place and saying "AZ isn't a romper room site"?

I'm sorry. I won't do it again. :oops:

bvibert

Staff member
yeaaa dinosiauyr!!!!

next time tyoui can totalllly come jens!!!!!!!! :beeeeeeer:

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've had a lot of beer tonight, but I got the feeling bvibert holds the title of AZ lush of the day! :beer:

(ps, that's intended as a compliment ;))

This isn't romper room? I'd like to ask the mods what happened to "Tongue in cheek", because when I complained about something that's the response I got.

I notified the moderators of something that I felt was offensive and was told it was all "tongue in cheek" and nothing would be done because the person was "just playing around". So what defines offensive, if that's the case? What defines "acting like children"? If you're going to pick and choose who gets a warning based on whether or not you relate to and feel personally offended by the poster, what's the point of putting a system in place and saying "AZ isn't a romper room site"?

I have to agree with you there!!!!

gmcunni

i haven't been around lately and am not sure what nonsense has been going on that prompted this thread but i vote NO on temp banning. no problem with an a-hole getting a lifetime ban though.

bvibert

Staff member
So, it sounds like several of the No votes are in favor of issuing a permanent ban in lieu of a temporary ban?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So, it sounds like several of the No votes are in favor of issuing a permanent ban in lieu of a temporary ban?
Yea, I'll clarify my No vote on the temporary ban with support of permanent bans. It has helped in the past (gladerider and the other various aliases). My thought is this: if a warning from the mods doesn't work, then a temp ban isn't going to change anything. Though my No vote was more in the spirit of I don't think temp banning should be used for someone that occasionally crosses a line. If the line keeps on getting crossed, I think that is a different story.

Though, I again wish to note that I think folks are feeding trollish behavior and making things far worse than they would have been...

BTW... appreciate this being opened up publicly. I know you guys probably have some difficultly with these types of decisions and could just make the call and not worry about what the forum thinks. So cheers to that. :beer:

gmcunni

if someone deserves a ban it might as well be forever. i've got to believe if things had gotten to the point where a ban was necessary that their behaviour was pointed out to them more than once and they elected to not change it. a temp ban won't change their behaviour if they've already been asked to cut it out and refuse to do so.

bottom line, this is greg's world, he can (and does) run it as he sees fit. don't like it? tough shit, move along and find something else to do with your time.

I like to post on here..how about I'm on probation and if I get out of line you can ban me permanently..but seriously don't feed the trolls..baiting is childish..anyway time to check out the Lunch thread..

ComeBackMudPuddles

First, I don't care what you think about my hair. BUT all the same, coming out of the blue with comments like such are attacks. Would you say the same to these people in person? Doubtful... And if you would, then we know what kind of person you really are.

When a post is reported, in case nobody has ever reported one, the statement underneath reads as follows:

I think that right there explains why posts that are harassing/rude/provoking fights would be posts that are reported. :dunce: I repeat that while this is the internet and there is freedom of speech, this is not a forum to shout out every little thought that pops into your head. You wouldn't do that in person either. Use some judgment.

Last time I checked, this is AlpineZone, not GSS-Groupie-ville. This is not all about you.

what i like about this post is that it starts as a "tssk tssk" holier-than-though lecture about using "judgment" and ends with a sarscatic attack against GSS. lol.

somehow the rules are different when it comes to our favorite post whore....

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
This is not just about GSS. But I also am not a mod, so you can take or leave whatever I say for whatever it is worth to you. I am not speaking for AZ officially and I have no official pull. If my post qualifies as your definition of an attack, however, then there are definitely going to be issues here.

IF I had any influence at all, however, (which I do not) I would have instituted a permanent ban long ago of certain members for their harassing/problematic posting. I've seen that the "hey, let's cool it" PMs, in the end, do not result in lasting changes

Trev

* Did not vote as I am a very new member of the community.

Voicing an opinion though...

Banning people should be done in the worst of cases. Other actions such as deleting a post and locking threads could be taken in circumstances when things get 'out of hand'. End the thread with a note from the mods as to why your locking it, ask everyone to cool off.. and lets move on. Generally speaking thread wars don't leak into other threads.

Banning may be needed for some folks whose sole purpose for coming to the site is to cause problems. I wouldn't think anyone would disagree here... these people would be obvious..

Temp bans.. I dunno.. seems like a time sink for mods if you ask me.. tracking who banned who and why and for how long and then to watch when they return to ensure they are not spite posting.. blah blah blah... you ban Bob for saying something to Frank but not Alice for saying the same thing to Trev... etc.. etc..

Keep it simple... throw a couple warnings out if/when warranted... ban if it is excessive and necessary for the general health of the community.

That's my nickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.