• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DTV Transition

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
REMINDER!

In case you've been living under a rock or remote desert island for the past year, the DTV Transition starts tomorrow.

Some broadcasters are going to be starting right after midnight, but the FCC did ask the networks to make the change during the day if possible.

A few will be keeping their analog signals on as long as the law allows...right up until 6/12 11:59:59.

If you haven't figured this out yet...check out http://www.rabbitears.info/

bvibert

Staff member
I am SO sick of hearing about this stupid transition! I can't wait for it to happen, so I can stop hearing about it already! :smash:

It probably would have been cheaper if they just mailed converter boxes to all the households in the US that didn't subscribe to cable than it was to run all those stupid effing commercials all the effing time!

bvibert

Staff member
We should have done this three years ago...or at least in February...

Why, what difference does it make? If people want to watch TV in analog then let them. Are they trying to free up those frequencies for other uses??

mondeo

Why, what difference does it make? If people want to watch TV in analog then let them. Are they trying to free up those frequencies for other uses??
The original justification for the switch was to free up the analog freqs for emergency response use. Basically there wasn't enough communications bandwith for 9/11

Warp Daddy

One of our channels on our cable did this in February -

MUCHO problems encountered by those without cable -- several WITH converter boxes were UNABLE to receive signal a real effin nightmare . Took a solid month to get most of the problems resolved

drjeff

I've been part of a cable ready household since 1978! :eek: Kickin' it old school back then with the WIRED brown box cable, with a grand total of 45 channels

I thought this had to do with having an HDTV..not cable..darn..like certain TVs wouldn't work after the transition..

WoodCore

I thought this had to do with having an HDTV..not cable..darn..like certain TVs wouldn't work after the transition..

It has nothing to do with cable. The transition only affects those who get their TV signal through an antenna.

frozencorn

I couldn't believe the amount of $$$ being sunk into this by the gov't making sure everyone was aware of this. Until I realized how many clueless people we're indeed made up of. OK, I can get older people not getting it, but almost 2 million people aren't ready for this? Good God, people.

frozencorn

That's gotta be like .1% of all people..

You'd be surprised. Yesterday they said 2 million people weren't ready. And they've delayed this thing since Feb.

I first knew about this in 1998. Eleven years later, 2 million people still don't know. I mean, what else can you do at this point?

dmc

I think I'm good...

Watching CNN on my IMac now...