• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Read the News Lately???

thetrailboss

Staff member
I saw this editorial from the Caledonian Record (VT) and thought I would post it...pretty funny and sad at the same time. Read and comment (which are your favorites?)

The Caledonian Record said:
Human beings are arguably the highest form of life on earth and capable of the most noble behavior. That may be so, but we are also capable of the most absurd, sometimes comedic and sometimes tragic, behavior. Newspapers are the unvarnished chronicles of modern life. Here is a quick scan of the absurdities of one weekend as they appear in an urban newspaper.

The Louisiana Legislature, which is asking for a $2 billion federal bailout from Hurricane Katrina's damage, approved a $45 million expenditure for sports and livestock facilities. Among funded activities are horse, dog, goat and art shows; rodeos and auctions; crawfish festivals; lawnmower races; and religious functions.

Actors Warren Beatty and his wife Annette Bening got the door literally slammed in their faces when they tried to crash and disrupt Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's private campaign party. They don't like his policies, and Beatty is testing the political waters for a possible run of his own. All that was missing were cameras and a director to make this collision of pretenders-by-profession a movie.

One hundred and nineteen Congressmen actually voted against the Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act, a bill that disallows lawsuits against food purveyors for causing obesity in overeaters.

Nearly 3,000 people stampeded a mall reopening in Nebraska when the high school band leading them in didn't get out of the way in time. A sizable number of band members and customers were hurt.

A North Dakota man spent two days in jail for having an unlicensed cat.

An Ohio woman pleaded not guilty to failing to pay $1.16 in income taxes. She faces fines of $4,000 and 18 months in jail if convicted.

News briefs reported six murders in the county over the weekend, four of them shootings and two by "severe upper body trauma." The news articles reporting the murders averaged 75 words each.

And rioting, largely Muslim youth burned 1,300 cars in and around Paris over a period of 36 weekend hours.

Sometimes when we read of the peccadilloes of human beings, we have to laugh or we would cry.

My favorites:

Nearly 3,000 people stampeded a mall reopening in Nebraska when the high school band leading them in didn't get out of the way in time. A sizable number of band members and customers were hurt.

Whoa...talk about running 'to beat the band.' These folks need to get a life if the best thing they can do is to hord a new mall...but living in a small town I can understand how things can get out of hand :blink: :lol:

A North Dakota man spent two days in jail for having an unlicensed cat.

Simply bizarre. I don't know what to say. :eek:

An Ohio woman pleaded not guilty to failing to pay $1.16 in income taxes. She faces fines of $4,000 and 18 months in jail if convicted.

Another weird one! :lol: Common Sense anyone?
News of the weird I guess...

JimG.

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
And rioting, largely Muslim youth burned 1,300 cars in and around Paris over a period of 36 weekend hours.

It is impossible to escape the incredible irony of this mess in France.

thetrailboss

Staff member
JimG. said:
thetrailboss said:

I don't want to get political, but I have been watching this with much interest because the real fight between the west and the Muslims IS going on in Europe. London train bombings. Murders in Amsterdam. That is where the worlds are colliding. This is indicative of the real struggle...

JimG.

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
JimG. said:
thetrailboss said:

I don't want to get political, but I have been watching this with much interest because the real fight between the west and the Muslims IS going on in Europe. London train bombings. Murders in Amsterdam. That is where the worlds are colliding. This is indicative of the real struggle...

You are correct, and the intention is to turn the european community against the US. I'm just not sure how this "plan" is going to accomplish that.

We're toeing the political line here, better stop now.

ctenidae

It kind of annoys me that it's always pointed out the youths in France are mostly Muslim. That's not at the root of their discontent. Instead, it's the utter failure of France's integration policies. Turns out the French are just as snobby and racist as Americans, if not worse.

Fortunatley, the $1.16 tax lady isn't getting prosecuted.

There are parts of the Personal Responsibility Act that are questionable, and are likely the cause of the no votes. In teh end, the language comes awfully close to exempting businesses from any sort of responsibility at all, ever. In the extreme, and as we all know the extreme will become reality at some point, this is a bad thing.

The Louisiana thing I'm not all worked up about- you can't expect the rest of the state to completely shut down- that $45 million creates and maintains jobs. Better to spend it on that than rebuilding, for which there are other sources of money. That said, LA should probably find a way to pony up some of the cash.

The mall folks should be locked in the mall for a week. With a pride of hungry lions. And Warren Beatty and Arnie.

Humanity. If we're not a great denial of Intelligent Design, I'm not sure what is (on the upside of that, the voters in Dover booted 8 of the 9 schoolboard members who supported teaching ID in public schools. There may be some hope for us after all).

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Turns out the French are just as snobby and racist as Americans, if not worse.

Some Americans C10, not all.

BTW, the French wrote the book.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, let's keep this on the tongue-and-cheek line that I intended... :wink:

I DID consider eliminating the France story since it really did not lie with the other items mentioned...

ctenidae

Yeah, sorry about that. It's just hard to read about things like that without getting annoyed at times.

ctenidae

Remulac is an anagram for Rul Meca, too.
Which may or may not mean anything.
Also an anagram for Am Cruel, Mule Car, Clear Mu, Ram Clue, and probably a bunch of others. but none of those make any sense.

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Remulac is an anagram for Rul Meca, too.
Which may or may not mean anything.
Also an anagram for Am Cruel, Mule Car, Clear Mu, Ram Clue, and probably a bunch of others. but none of those make any sense.

Slow day at work C10?