• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waldo 6/14/09 - I think there is something wrong with my rear...

Grassi21

Pat, for the record it was me that made sure you had a spare tube for the ride at the Rez. I noticed that Jeff had an extra tube in the back of his car, and that prompted me to ask you if you needed one. I would never choose to not help someone that made an honest mistake, didn’t know better or simply forgot to bring something. I have given countless tubes, chain links, snacks (I always carry two just incase) and time on rides to help friends and complete strangers alike with mechanical problems. I also don’t consider you and Grassi in the same class of riders. While you are technically better than he is on a bike. He is much more serious about MTB’g than you are. He not only researched and bough a pretty nice HT, he also has all the goodies to go with it (Camel Back, leg armor, nice shoes and pedals). He has even gone so far as to convert an old bike into an SS (single speed). Mountain biking newbs wouldn’t even know what SS means. Grassi is also a total gear whore (like the rest of us) and it’s very hard to imaging that his camel back is not full of riding essentials.

Now maybe I mis-read Jeff’s post, but I read it as if Grassi made a deliberate choice to only ride with a water bottle and no gear. If that’s not the case and he simply forgot his gear I would of course help him out on the trail. I am not sure about any of you, but there have been several times when I got to the trail head only to realize I forgot something and my riding crew told me not to worry as they had my back. But if someone deliberately makes a choice to ride light (no tools, tubes, ect) knowing full well the consequences I would have a very hard time helping them out. Of course I would take into account how far we were from the cars before I made a final call. If we were 5 miles out I wouldn’t be a hard ass, but if we were only a couple of miles out someone would be hiking or paying one hell of a mark up.

The only part I take offense to is being called a whore. ;-)

Timmy is spot on. I chose to ride without my gear. I knew better.

2knees

Pat, for the record it was me that made sure you had a spare tube for the ride at the Rez. I noticed that Jeff had an extra tube in the back of his car, and that prompted me to ask you if you needed one. I would never choose to not help someone that made an honest mistake, didn’t know better or simply forgot to bring something. I have given countless tubes, chain links, snacks (I always carry two just incase) and time on rides to help friends and complete strangers alike with mechanical problems. I also don’t consider you and Grassi in the same class of riders. While you are technically better than he is on a bike. He is much more serious about MTB’g than you are. He not only researched and bough a pretty nice HT, he also has all the goodies to go with it (Camel Back, leg armor, nice shoes and pedals). He has even gone so far as to convert an old bike into an SS (single speed). Mountain biking newbs wouldn’t even know what SS means. Grassi is also a total gear whore (like the rest of us) and it’s very hard to imaging that his camel back is not full of riding essentials.

My post wasnt an indictment on anyone. just an observation on my part, as to my total lack of basic mtn bike knowledge.

Sorry if it came out wrong bro.

Trev

Well, at Waldo I fell twice. Both on the same hip... my right one.. first day on new Crank Bros clipless pedals.. greasy ass rocks n roots.

So, for those of you listening to be complain since then about some hip wounds...

MR. evil

Well, at Waldo I fell twice. Both on the same hip... my right one.. first day on new Crank Bros clipless pedals.. greasy ass rocks n roots.

So, for those of you listening to be complain since then about some hip wounds...

did you fall becuae you had trouble un-clipping?

There is no tension screw on CB pedals like SPD's, but if you have the cleats facing one way they will release sooner then if they are facing the opposite direction.

Trev

did you fall becuae you had trouble un-clipping?

There is no tension screw on CB pedals like SPD's, but if you have the cleats facing one way they will release sooner then if they are facing the opposite direction.

I followed the directions and set them up for easier release.

No, the issue really was two fold:
#1) First ride with new pedals so un-clipping is a conscious effort
#2) Very greasy ride..

This isn't a complaint, I tell you I am enjoying the new peds for sure. I went out to Hubbard Park with Steveo on Monday and I can feel the night and day difference on climbing and overall stability -- as in feet not bouncing on/off pedals during bumpy downhills or small drops.

I have to adjust my balance a bit.. IE: no more throwing a leg out to balance... and build confidence again.. I find myself not fully committing as I was with flat pedals a couple weeks ago.

It's a learning curve, I know it, and I'll take the hits learning, pretty much willingly.

The sport is bran new to me.. there are other factors I need to address as well.. like I think my stock tires need to be replaced. Any little bit of mud is causing me to loose all sorts of traction. Watching other riders not slip on roots or lose as much traction as I am.. makes me thing I need a bigger nobbied tire.. with perhaps more space between them so they don't 'gunk up'. But, I'll ask the guys during my next ride to take a look for me.. I could just really suck... rofl.