• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody ever had teh "hardware " removed from a fractured ankle surgery ?

Warp Daddy

Looks like the Queen is probably going to need to have teh plate and 6 screws removed from her fractured ankle surgery 4 years ago ! She had some swelling over the weekend from a minor bump from a damn shopping cart . went to see her dr today , X-rays tomorrow to determinr IF teh "hardware is moving around , if so she''ll need to get it removed .

ANYBODY ever had this done ?

What' s the approx operation time and recovery time ?

Any "issues' with recovery is PT req?

Shew's in fabulous shape walks 5 miles a day plays tennis and golf as well as skiing -- just interested in hearing of any experiences anyone may have had with this surgical removal of ankle hardware ????

Warp Daddy

Thanks Mcat we'll know for sure after xray s BUT we just now came back froma 3 mile brisk walk and she toasted me !! So i know her conditioning is Superb

Dr Skimeister

Hopefully it's nothing more than one of the screws having backed out. With the activity that you describe your wife having, it doesn't sound like instability of the healed fracture site is a problem. Hence, should be little reason to trash the hardware.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hardware sucks. I have two pins and a wire in my elbow from my accident a few years back. Doc said it never had to come out unless it bothered me. Well, it definitely bothers me in odd ways such as I can feel the hardware through my skin and occasionally the wire catches a nerve and other weird stuff. Never thought it was needed to get the crap taken out... not worth the time, aggravation, or money. But I would be a happier man without it, that is for sure!

For my hardware, they said it didn't matter at all after everything healed up. But I am sure every instance is different. Hope the Queen has a successful procedure and quick recovery!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
My wife had her plate and 7 screws removed from fractured ankle. Recovery was almost immediate, she was climbing up step ladders the same day. She states that what took more time to heal was the cut from surgery. Surgery was outpatient, and no PT. Since the hardware was bothering her, she felt much better afterward.

Ankle3.jpg
Ankle2.jpg

drjeff

Posed this question to one of my best friend's whose a PT guy working for a large orthopedic group. He said that the norm that he sees through his office is like Andyzee said. Very quick recovery, minimal(if any rehab needs afterwards) and basically that as soon as the SMALL incision site is healed, that's basically it!

The Queen will likely be back to normal ASAP and the extra chores that you'll have to do around the house Warp should be minimal and for a short duration ;)

playoutside

A few weeks ago a guy at work had the screws removed from his ankle and knee; he left the rod in his leg since only the screws were bugging him. He was out of the office a couple days and was mainly just elevating and icing to keep down any swelling. He said he felt pretty good, just the incisions bugged him a bit.

BTW he brought the screws in, they looked pretty much like a 2" deck screws to me. They were torx and had shallow threads.

Warp Daddy

Hey many thanks Doc jeff for taking it to teh PT for me and all you guys Andy , The GOOD Doctors Skimeister and Jeff and Playoutside and RIV , ROOTER and wintersyndrome and Mcat -- what can i say except YOU GUYS ARE TOPS IN MY BOOK thanks again for the feedback

I'lll keep u in the loop , she 's back from XRAY today will find out later to day or tomorrow , interestingly teh Xray tech said it may be just arthritis -- we'll see .

Got in an early am 18 today doc +!10 now gotta rush off to Hospital Board Mtg @ noon

Once again guys -- A GREAT BIG THANKS from the old guy !!!

drjeff

Hey many thanks Doc jeff for taking it to teh PT for me and all you guys Andy , The GOOD Doctors Skimeister and Jeff and Playoutside and RIV , ROOTER and wintersyndrome and Mcat -- what can i say except YOU GUYS ARE TOPS IN MY BOOK thanks again for the feedback

I'lll keep u in the loop , she 's back from XRAY today will find out later to day or tomorrow , interestingly teh Xray tech said it may be just arthritis -- we'll see .

Got in an early am 18 today doc +!10 now gotta rush off to Hospital Board Mtg @ noon

Once again guys -- A GREAT BIG THANKS from the old guy !!!

Sounds like a good round for 'ya there Warp! Maybe you should find things like the Queen's hardware and Hospital Board meetings to occupy your brain while on the course and that 1st number will be a 7 mighty quick! :)

Warp Daddy

Sounds like a good round for 'ya there Warp! Maybe you should find things like the Queen's hardware and Hospital Board meetings to occupy your brain while on the course and that 1st number will be a 7 mighty quick! :)

Yeah well She who must be obeyed might say "What Brain??"LMAO

I'm terminally doomed to the land of golf scores starting with 8 -- i keep thinking THIS is MT YEAR

Doc have a great time at the OPEN -- I'll be glued to the set watching the BIG BOYS play ---

Warp Daddy

UPDATE : ALL X-RAYS were negative ! Everything is lined up , no denigration of the hardware apparantly the incident was just a simple contusion from thr shopping cart bump ,

So i guess it stays in UNTIL she wants to get it out since surgery IS NOT REQUIRED . We'll see

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
UPDATE : ALL X-RAYS were negative ! Everything is lined up , no denigration of the hardware apparantly the incident was just a simple contusion from thr shopping cart bump ,

So i guess it stays in UNTIL she wants to get it out since surgery IS NOT REQUIRED . We'll see
Sounds like a win/win. Glad to hear it.

JimG.

Staff member
I've got a full length tibial fracture plate with 12 bolts in my left leg and a small plate with 2 screws in my right knee.

While I am occasionally aware of them (like on very cold days and during periods of intense low pressure)
they do not bother me and I have never seen the need to have them removed.

If she can avoid going to the hospital for surgery that is the best option.