• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River needs a HSQ - and snowboarding!

A

ASC

What a joke this place is - they don't allow snowboarding, the single chair is a joke and they don't even allow snowboarding! It is about time Mad River entered the new millenium and:
A) Ripped that silly chair out and put is a high-speed quad
B) Installed more snowmaking
C) Allowed Snowboarding
D) Widen some of those narrow trails
E) Get rid of the scruffy telemark crowd

Anyone with me on this? :eek:

Greg

Staff member
Troll? :blink:

Anyway, the responses should be interesting so I'll let this one go. Keep it civil though guys or this thing will be locked tighter than a nun's legs.

:flame: Hope you have your flame-retardant suit on ASC...

A

ASC

Why would you lock it? The place is stuck in the past, let's be real about it. You can wax romantic all you want, but I say it would be better off as an ASC resort.

Greg

Staff member
ASC said:
Why would you lock it?
I didn't say I definitely would. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but your post has a certain trollish quality to it. If the discussion stays civil and doesn't degenerate into personal attacks (by anyone), it's fine...

ChileMass

Greg - you crack me up.....

You know - I never ski MRG anymore because I'm too damned old and I am more into my creature comforts (hence skiing at Stratton). That said, there's a lot of people out there, ASC, that like MRG just the way it is and will tell you that's the way a ski hill ought to be. They draw heavily from the "throwback" crowd, and as Greg said, you are likely to get a loud earful from them here on this board. If that's the kind of skiing/boarding/mountain experience you are looking for, go to Sunday River or Killington and you won't be disappointed.

J

jlangdale

Dood MRG not allowing boarding is old news. Goto Sugarbush, they have a good terrain park. Why do you want to board MRG anyway? You seriously expect or want to throw out a mostly local small town slash old school tele-type crowd and bring in non-cash having dub smoking boarder types? Get real man. Different strokes for different folks. I just wish someone would open a board only ski resort. Maybe someone could buy whaleback and do that.

Joshua B

I agree with jlangdale, ChileMass, and Greg's comments.

1. I think ASC is a troll.

2. Why would he care about Mad River Glen if he doesn't even like the trails?

3. There should definitely be a snowboarder-only mountain.

4. If Whaleback re-opens I will buy a snowboard setup and take up the sport.

A

ASC

1. I think ASC is a troll.
Think what you like - Aren't you the guy who wanted to know what GLEN meant? :dunce:
3. There should definitely be a snowboarder-only mountain.
Why do you insist on segregation? Apartheid was wrong, and THIS is wrong!
I look forward to the day when I can ride my board in the Terrain Park at MRG ! :)

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
ASC said:
but I say it would be better off as an ASC resort.

hmm... that's a pretty bold statement, considering the trouble ASC (past and present) resorts have had, and that would assume ASC would even have enough cash sometime in the next decade to actually purchase another resort. and I can tell you right now, that will never happen to MRG.

I think it's clear you just don't understand how MRG works & the history of it. You might want to spend a little time learning here:

http://www.madriverglen.com/?Page=history/index.html

First off, MRG is a cooperative effort, the only ski area in the US owned by a group of independent skiers. If you care about it changing so much, then maybe you should buy a share for $1700 and try to change the minds of the others....

Fundamentally, I'm not so crazy about the 4 resorts in the US that continue to ban snowboarding, because I think their arguments for it are lame - that it's to 'keep less crowded slopes', 'preserve snow quality', etc - the truth is that the early days and irresponsible actions of a few snowboarders have ruined it for all, despite the fact that snowboarding today isn't truly as bad as that early reputation established the sport to be.

it is a shame that the great terrain of those 4 resorts aren't open to the boarders who would truly love to ride the terrain and would be as considerate (if not more so) as the skiers who do ski at those resorts.
as a snowboarder, i think it sucks and is an unfair rap. but good snowboarders also don't need narrow trails widened...

as a skier, there is sometihng about the charm of alta & MRG the way they are... but I don't expect you to understand that if you want every ski area on the planet to be ASC-ified... yah, i loved paying $3.50 for my green mountain coffee the other day... i could have made 2 pots for that with their sampler packs.

riding an antique single chair is actually pretty cool.. and a few exist in Europe alongside highspeed quads and sixpacks, so it's nice that someone's keeping the nostalgia here in the technology obsessed US.

as far as the telemark crowd, well, they ain't as scruffy as they used to be, so get ready for the resurgence of tele, cause it's here - and just so you know, they'll be dustin' your ass in the terrain parks any day now - it's already happening, cause tele is coming back hardcore, and skiers are pushing the limits of the sport.

A

ASC

they'll be dustin' your ass in the terrain parks any day now
Tele in the terrain park? Dustin my ass? Really.. Why aren't they already then? Plastic tele boots have been around for 8-10 years now - And you don't admit there is somewhat a granola-crunching wool&beard tele crowd at MRG?

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
i didn't say there wasn't a crunchy granola element at MRG. probably always will be, that's part of what makes it different.

I'm not talking about just plastic boots - i'm talking about all new skis, with sidecuts, twin tips, and killer new binding setups...

of course the east coast is way behind the west for the most part when it comes to bc/tele, so it might be a little while before it does get bigger out here and invade the TPs...

but yeah, the best of the best are putting on free heels and hucking off cliffs and trying out tricks in 'em.

jimme

Skiing needs tradition. East Coast skiing needs Mad River Glen. Since it's the only Eastern area that does not allow snowboarding, I can live with the decision. (I don't fully agree with it, but I can live with it. I ski.)

With all the glitz and creature comforts offered by the bigger resorts, I think it's great to have at least one area that harkens to skiing's past. But, check out the gear the skiers at MRG are using and you can be certain it's not 7' 6" Hickory skis! So there is some of the new along with the old.

The single chair. A beautiful piece of machinery. The only one left in the US. It cuts down on skier traffic. I've seen hills with HSQ get skied off in hours.

The West has Alta, the East has MRG. Let's keep it that way. Interestin how this has wored out. There's the Alta/Snowbird combo in the West, and here in the East we have MRG/Sugarbush.

Jimme

teachski

Website
teachski.com
ASC said:
What a joke this place is - they don't allow snowboarding, the single chair is a joke and they don't even allow snowboarding! It is about time Mad River entered the new millenium and:
A) Ripped that silly chair out and put is a high-speed quad
B) Installed more snowmaking
C) Allowed Snowboarding
D) Widen some of those narrow trails
E) Get rid of the scruffy telemark crowd

Anyone with me on this? :eek:

MRG a joke? I think not! Just because they have chosen not to allow snowboards does not make them a joke. As for the single chair, I for one am glad that they keep it there, it is a true piece of history! There are very few other single chairs around in the world and it is nice to be able to go there and ride it. Putting in a high-speed quad would ruin the place IMO. It would dump too many skiers at the top in too short of a time and the slopes would become congested. Widen the trails, you NUTS! That is some of the appeal of MSG, it has traditional ski trails that you can not find at other areas. What do you want? I throughway cut instead of each trail. Look at some of the areas they have done this to, they have ruined them. Get rid of the scruffy telemark crowd? I do not telemark, but I don't consider those who do as being scruffy. Telemark is NOT easy, there is a real art to it and it takes quite a bit of athleticism. Don't knock it if you have never tried it.
I think you are angry because you want to go there and you board so you can't. With so many other places to choose from, why does it bother you so much that snowboards are not allowed? They are allowed at it's neighbor, Sugarbush. Go there, or grab some skis and see what MRG is all about.
MRG should stay exactly like it is! It is a classic Old New England area. We need to preserve some of our skiing herritage if we can, and not in a museum. People need to be able to get out there and experience it.

A

ASC

We need to preserve some of our skiing herritage if we can, and not in a museum
When is the last time you saw a 1952 Packard on the road? Bottom line, it is outdated and laughable. People clinging to the past instead of embracing the future! Put a HSQ in, allow snowboards, maybe a condo complex and some shopping at the base. The new millenium is here! :lol:

Joshua B

ASC, I'm all for coming in to somewhere and shaking things up, but just a question. Are we really that old, crusty, crunchy, and scruffy around here that you think this place needs shaking up?

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
ASC, I'm all for coming in to somewhere and shaking things up, but just a question. Are we really that old, crusty, crunchy, and scruffy around here that you think this place needs shaking up?
Agreed. ASC is just trolling. I almost detect a bit of sarcasm to his (or her?) posts...

teachski

Website
teachski.com
ASC said:
We need to preserve some of our skiing herritage if we can, and not in a museum
When is the last time you saw a 1952 Packard on the road? Bottom line, it is outdated and laughable. People clinging to the past instead of embracing the future! Put a HSQ in, allow snowboards, maybe a condo complex and some shopping at the base. The new millenium is here! :lol:
Actually, I saw a bunch of cars older than that on the road this weekend!
If you want condos and shopping at the base and HSQ's go to Stratton, it sounds exactly like what you want. Don't get me wrong, I like to go to Stratton once in a while too, but I like to have a place like MRG also.

Does everything have to be all hyped up, glitzy and high tech? I don't think so. Some of the BEST terrain can be found at areas that are not! I think you are just PO'ed because snowboarders are not welcome there. I'd really love to see a place for "snowboards only" I think it would be great for all of the boarders out there. YES, I have tried snowboarding and may try again this year. I am not anti-snowboarders!