• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driven: 2010 Subaru Legacy, the car Subaru needs...

ski220

My friends wife has a Nissan Murano. A few times we have taken it up to Vt.. Comfortable, big enough for more then 2 people, does well in snow - AWD, and extremely reliable. What more could I want? Better gas milage? Certainly. Doesn't handle or perform like an expensive Euro sports sedan.

Alteratives? An Audi or BMW, a newer Volvo or a Subaru? Nothing really strikes my fancy. Must think outside the box. A lot of cars come AWD versions now. But AWD is not 4WD. Is 4WD a necessity?

Glenn

As I suspected, company has decided to scrap the car. It's really not worth the 5K in repairs

So, the focus becomes 100% reliable, safe, economical, car to get from here to there for work.

Was surprised somewhat to see what Edmonds recommends as the best value used compact car for 2002-2007

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/bestbet/articles/#csedan

This weekend we'll look at an 06 Hatchback with 44K miles for 8500 for J to drive. I'll take back my Sonata.

I am so happy this Subaru is dead and to move on from it, even if it means more money out of my wallet each month. Such a piece of crap

Get one of these....totally bad ass:

Adrian_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_3.JPG

deadheadskier

Staff member
My friends wife has a Nissan Murano. A few times we have taken it up to Vt.. Comfortable, big enough for more then 2 people, does well in snow - AWD, and extremely reliable. What more could I want? Better gas milage? Certainly. Doesn't handle or perform like an expensive Euro sports sedan.

Alteratives? An Audi or BMW, a newer Volvo or a Subaru? Nothing really strikes my fancy. Must think outside the box. A lot of cars come AWD versions now. But AWD is not 4WD. Is 4WD a necessity?

I think most people find AWD to perform better than 4WD in the snow.

Personally, I think a FWD car with decent snows is all you need 90% of the time. Tires matter more than drive train. My Sonata with good snows is a better winter driver than my Audi A6 was with all seasons.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Get one of these....totally bad ass:

Adrian_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_3.JPG

the day I spend 40K on a car........

I do like Jeeps. J's got a 60 mile commute and prefers small cars. I put 40K miles a year on vehicles for work. Don't want to spend more than my mortgage on gas ;)

As vanilla as they are, I'll keep beating my drum that Hyundai is the best built car for the money. Love my Sonata. My father thinks his Genesis blows away the Infiniti M35X he had prior to it. Edmond's rates the Elantra as the best used compact sedan for 2002-2007. It rates the Azera as the best used large sedan.

Rather than dump an extra $200 a month in car payment and gas on 'fun' cars; the lady and I would prefer to grab a night out in Boston at a nice hotel and a great meal.

different priorities for different folks

Glenn

Yeah, given your situation, you guys are better off with something smaller. But you have to admit, that thing would be a hoot to drive around. But at 40k a year for mileage, you'd be filling up rather often.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Deadhead skier what do you think of the Nissan cube? I saw one the other day and thought of you.

You're recommending a car to me other than a Chevy? I was about to say you know who's missing from this conversation? Jeff Gordon er um I mean thorski ;)

I think the Cube is one of if not the ugliest car I've ever seen and wouldn't want to ride in it to my own funeral. :lol:

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
You're recommending a car to me other than a Chevy? I was about to say you know who's missing from this conversation? Jeff Gordon er um I mean thorski ;)

I think the Cube is one of if not the ugliest car I've ever seen and wouldn't want to ride in it to my own funeral. :lol:

You always say you like the hyundais so i know you have a penchant for ugly cars.
My girl and i saw a cube driving down the road the other day, and she said "That car is so ugly who would drive that?" To this i thought: I know someone who would like that.
Since you said you think it's ugly maybe there is hope for you yet. :razz:

Philpug

I like my 09 Forester so much that I am replacing my daily driver with a 09 Impreza, I was going to pick up an 09 Yaris, but for a few thousand more I get another 2.5 flat four & AWD & power sunroof.

The only time I owned the same make for both cars was with my Saturns.

I liked the new Impreza much more than my 09 Forester, I just wish they made a real wagon and not just a 5 door hatchback.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I liked the new Impreza much more than my 09 Forester, I just wish they made a real wagon and not just a 5 door hatchback.
The size difference between the Impreza sedan and the Hatchback is crazy. They should not even have the same name. They look nothing alike. It would be nice if they took their Impreza sedan body and gave it a wagon ass. They could probably call it a Legacy Wagon.

:spin:

The Impreza hatch looks cool but is useless as a practical vehicle. Way too small.

Philpug

the size difference between the impreza sedan and the hatchback is crazy. They should not even have the same name. They look nothing alike. It would be nice if they took their impreza sedan body and gave it a wagon ass. They could probably call it a legacy wagon.

The impreza hatch looks cool but is useless as a practical vehicle. Way too small.

thank you!!!!!!

Geoff

A Subi-hating skier.....(sigh). It makes me sad.

Maybe deadheadskier's not a lesbian? ;)

I don't hate them. My mom and sister have both driven them since the 1970's. I personally don't like the cramped feel of most Japanese interiors. Every time I test drive most Japanese cars, I conclude that I wouldn't want to make a 5 hour drive in it. Europeans tend to design their interiors for taller people.

campgottagopee

The size difference between the Impreza sedan and the Hatchback is crazy. They should not even have the same name. They look nothing alike. It would be nice if they took their Impreza sedan body and gave it a wagon ass. They could probably call it a Legacy Wagon.

The Impreza hatch looks cool but is useless as a practical vehicle. Way too small.

Not sure what you mean....other than having more cargo volume the h-back has the exact same interior dimensions as the sedan.

Philpug

Not sure what you mean....other than having more cargo volume the h-back has the exact same interior dimensions as the sedan.
It is not the same, from the c-pillar forward, yes they are the same. the 5 door is shorter from there back. Make a true wagon, with a near vertical D-pillar and mid 60's Cu-ft storage and I will get one when my Forester lease is over. Since they don't, I am off to the dealer for a Jetta TDi wagen
subaru-impreza-b3-anesis-2009.jpg

2009-Subaru-Impreza-08810061990006.jpg

campgottagopee

It is not the same, from the c-pillar forward, yes they are the same. the 5 door is shorter from there back. Make a true wagon, with a near vertical D-pillar and mid 60's Cu-ft storage and I will get one when my Forester lease is over. Since they don't, I am off to the dealer for a Jetta TDi wagen
subaru-impreza-b3-anesis-2009.jpg

2009-Subaru-Impreza-08810061990006.jpg

Uhm, the overall wheelbase of the h-back is something like 4ish inches shorter. but no matter what pillar you look at the interior room is exactly the same as the sedan...really. The cars not meant to be a wagon, that's why they call it a h-back;-)

hammer

It is not the same, from the c-pillar forward, yes they are the same. the 5 door is shorter from there back. Make a true wagon, with a near vertical D-pillar and mid 60's Cu-ft storage and I will get one when my Forester lease is over.
And since I had to check, here is the Wikipedia page on what car pillars are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_(car)

Philpug

Uhm, the overall wheelbase of the h-back is something like 4ish inches shorter. but no matter what pillar you look at the interior room is exactly the same as the sedan...really. The cars not meant to be a wagon, that's why they call it a h-back;-)

Either way, they need a damn wagon. ;)

Subaru stopped making wagons just when people are coming back to them. I will be the first to say that a manufacture can make to many variations, hell when the Legacy was introduced in 90, there were 37, yes 37 variations of JUST the Legacy. I never saw the need for teh OB sedan, the SUS was a test for Subaru of New England back in the mid 90's then it did catch on, but honestly, I thought it was an answer to a question that was never asked. All I am asking for is a regular wagon, preferably in an Impreza vs. the new "supersized" Legacy, at least that car already exists, it is just a matter of bringing over here.

Philpug

I just priced out a 10 Legacy the way I would want it. Prem, 6 speed, roof and CWP and it was around 23K. If I added a $1,000 for it to be a wagon, it would still be $2-3K less than the Jetta TDi and I could be swayed to stay. Only concern is that Lola didn't think the car "felt" too big, she likes small cars (drives a MINI) and even doesn't like driving my Forester.