• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driven: 2010 Subaru Legacy, the car Subaru needs...

campgottagopee

[

LOL, don't know..don't care..it is no where as cool as the McIntosh :drool:

Thought you'd like that. Wish I could afford a McIntosh for my house. Coolest thing is they're made in Binghamton NY just 40 miles south of me here.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One re-design I very much like is the Outback Sport. J is big on hatchbacks and I think it's one of the more attractive ones out there along with the Mazda 3. She likes the Mazda better, but I insist on her having AWD. We're waiting until spring to see where used prices go on the Sport and might pick one up for her.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Any pics? I assume this is the Sedan and not the Wagon since it is being compared to Accord and Camry? But then again, it would probably be safe to assume that the Wagon will follow the Sedan design. Were both coming with diesel options or just the Sedan?

I am MAJOR bummed to hear about the increase in actual and perceived size. It took my eye some time to adjust to the current Subbie look which I originally thought looked "big". But that look has grown on me and I had been planning on a Subbie for my next car for the last 3 years and next year could possibly be the year I upgrade, so I was following the diesel option closely.

The increase in size of cars, both visual perception and actual dimensions blows. I think this would be a very bad design choice given current car buying trends away from larger vehicles. Though I guess it isn't "that much bigger" if it is the class of the Accord or Camery. That would have to effect MPG, wouldn't it? Legacy has been flirting with 30 MPG, it would be a bummer to see it down closer to 25 than 30.

Any pictures??

Philpug

2010 LEgacy Mileage Announced....

The 2009 Subaru Legacy remains one of TheCarConnection.com's favorite all-weather sedans, despite a few issues that keep its overall review rating to 7.4 out of 10. Depending if it's equipped with the base flat-four, the more exciting turbocharged four, or the smooth flat-six, it can take on a wide range of personalities, from frugal and basic to sporty or even a bit luxurious.

With fuel economy ratings that don't get any better than 20-mpg city, 27 highway, the 2009 Subaru Legacy isn't the best on gas in any of its versions. Stepping up to the top 3.0-liter six and five-speed automatic earns a so-so 17/24 rating. Admittedly, the additional driveline drag of all-wheel drive typically saps a mile or two out of every gallon, but c'mon, Subaru can do better, right?

Well, they have. The all-new 2010 Subaru Legacy achieves 23 mpg city, 31 highway in base 2.5i trim with the available CVT automatic transmission, while both the 2.5GT, with its turbocharged engine and the 3.6R with its smooth flat-six go up 1 mpg, to 18/25. The only exception to this trend is the base six-speed-manual model, which gets 1 mpg less than before in the city, at 19/27.

All said, Subaru points out that the new 2.5i CVT model gets better fuel economy than the front-wheel-drive Honda Accord, Mazda6i, Volkswagen Passat, and Hyundai Sonata—and that it's the highest-rated mid-size all-wheel-drive sedan for 2010, when you look at the EPA combined figures.

The new 2010 Subaru Legacy has grown in nearly every dimension, and is slightly heavier than the last-generation car, so the mileage boost is quite a feat. The Legacy gets a new platform, a new double-wishbone rear suspension, a host of upgraded safety and interior features, and a completely different look that—like the Impeza family introduced two years ago—does away with the frameless windows.

Yet the Legacy's base price will start at a bargain $19,995. There's a lot to talk about, but we'll save some of it as we'll be driving the new 2010 Legacy in just a few days. Stay tuned.

Geoff

Any pics? I assume this is the Sedan and not the Wagon since it is being compared to Accord and Camry? But then again, it would probably be safe to assume that the Wagon will follow the Sedan design. Were both coming with diesel options or just the Sedan?

I thought Subaru stopped bringing in Legacy wagons a few years ago. They'd rather suck more money out of the soccer moms by selling them Outbacks. Personally, I wish Subaru made a hatchback version of the Legacy. I'm not big on sedans.

Philpug

I thought Subaru stopped bringing in Legacy wagons a few years ago. They'd rather suck more money out of the soccer moms by selling them Outbacks. Personally, I wish Subaru made a hatchback version of the Legacy. I'm not big on sedans.

Wagon is still being built, just not offered in the U.S.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Outback sport?

Edd

Outback sport?

Outback Sport = Hatchback Impreza. As recently as 2 weeks ago Subaru was offering 0% finacing for as long as 63 months on Imprezas. Very tempting but it's a damn small car. 0% on Outback or Forester = I buy a car.

ComeBackMudPuddles

i dunno....from the pix i've seen, i'd say the 2010 model looks pretty nice, if somewhat generic....but, to be fair, the 2009 wasn't winning any beauty pageants, either. it's definitey nicer than a camry or accord. don't know about the mazda 6 or malibu, though.

2010:

2010_Legacy.jpg

Legacy_wallpaper_1024x768.jpg

2010-subaru-legacy-wagon-front-angle-588x441.jpg

112_0903_04z+2010_subaru_legacy+interior.jpg

2009:

2007_Subaru_Legacy_GT_Spec.B.jpg

2009-subaru-legacy-pzev-i01.jpg

2009-subaru-legacy-pzev-003.jpg

campgottagopee

Outback Sport = Hatchback Impreza. As recently as 2 weeks ago Subaru was offering 0% finacing for as long as 63 months on Imprezas. Very tempting but it's a damn small car. 0% on Outback or Forester = I buy a car.

What part of the country was that??? No incentives on Forester but Outbacks you get $2000 reb PLUS special APR, which would equal as good if not better savings than 0%.

campgottagopee

Actually, the Legacy wagon (when we had it) was the same price as a base outback and, imo, the outback is a better car.

Philpug

The Outback Sport does nothing for me, never has. The package is purely cosmetic, at least the adult Outback has some suspension differences. Either bring back the Legacy SW or make a real Impreza wagon, not a 5 door hatchback.

Philpug

Actually, the Legacy wagon (when we had it) was the same price as a base outback and, imo, the outback is a better car.

It wasn't better but different. It was about the same price but it had more equipment. The Legacy SW was a much better handling car and you didn't have to get the whole "Limited" package to get the <huge> sunroof.

campgottagopee

The Outback Sport does nothing for me, never has. The package is purely cosmetic, at least the adult Outback has some suspension differences. Either bring back the Legacy SW or make a real Impreza wagon, not a 5 door hatchback.

True, you do pick up the all weather pkg which is nice to have.

mlctvt

Outback was much worse than the Legacy wagon, Ugly plastic side moldings,very tall car with terrible handling, worse smaller brakes, slower steering rack, and they charge MORE for it. I didn't get that. I also didn't understand why more people bought it, it must have been becuase it was tall?

campgottagopee

It wasn't better but different. It was about the same price but it had more equipment. The Legacy SW was a much better handling car and you didn't have to get the whole "Limited" package to get the <huge> sunroof.

Again, for me I liked it better for my needs. The Outback is a quieter car, more ground clearance and better in snow due to VDC and better tire size for snow. Just depends on what personla needs your trying to fit.

campgottagopee

Outback was much worse than the Legacy wagon, Ugly plastic side moldings,very tall car with terriblle handling, worse smaller brakes, slower steering rack, and they charge MORE for it. I didn't get that. I also didn't understand why more people bought it, it must have been becuase it was tall?

See above

Those "ugly plastic side moldings" prevented numerous door dings that the legacy wgns would be riddled with

Philpug

Outback was much worse than the Legacy wagon, Ugly plastic side moldings,very tall car with terrible handling, worse smaller brakes, slower steering rack, and they charge MORE for it. I didn't get that. I also didn't understand why more people bought it, it must have been becuase it was tall?

Don't under estimate vast stupidity of the american car buyers. I don't think the Outback is as bad as you are making it out to be but also don't blame Subaru for building the product people want (not need).

ComeBackMudPuddles

don't understand all the outback hate. maybe i'm wrong, but i thought it was the first iteration of the outback back in the SUV-crazed late 90s that pretty much saved subaru...