• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driven: 2010 Subaru Legacy, the car Subaru needs...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Why is bigger better? Or why does it continue to be better. As with the Legacy, definitely a step backwards in looks and bulkiness based on the pictures. That article linked above clued me in on Toyota's offering, the Venza. But that looks like a longer Prius and just may be worse looking than the new generation Subaru offerings. They already have a larger crossover in the Forester so I just don't understand making the Outback visually and physically bigger. At least it is not as ugly as the Saab wagon. WV's Jetta Diesel Wagon looks visually the best from a wagon stand point but no AWD. It seems like the trend is wagon crossovers instead of just wagons. Bleh.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I am well aware of the differences in dimensions. The car is much bigger in width and height, both dimensions here translate to a much different driving experience, along with the new steering set up. Bigger is not always better and that translates to this car. As I mentioned, this will be the most successful OB ever but Subaru won't be seeing me in for one. I just don't want a vehicle this big.

This!

Plus, wagons usually are bought by people who need room and do outdoor stuff which means many use roof racks. A taller car means more difficult access to a roof rack. A concern for someone looking at a vehicle to transport a 17' kayak, for example. The handling is another issue.

But just the visual look is so not what I like to see in a vehicle. Vehicles these days seem to just look bigger and bulkier and taller. Its like manufacturers are still stuck in SUV mode. Worse, they are trying to make SUVs that are not SUVs. They know the SUV market has dropped out but they also know that people think "bigger is better" even though most people buy bigger when they don't need bigger. So the "big" look is in. Even for cars. But definitely for anything that could be into the crossover market to suck up the drop in SUV sales.

ComeBackMudPuddles

a little unfair to criticize the new outback for looking bulky. i think the outback has always been about looking bulky....that's why they add all those "butch" plastic tack-ons....

Philpug

As much as I am a Legacy Wagon fan, I am not sure I would even look at that. Now if there was a real Impreza Wagon (not a 5dr HB) I would strongly consider that.

hammer

This!

Plus, wagons usually are bought by people who need room and do outdoor stuff which means many use roof racks. A taller car means more difficult access to a roof rack. A concern for someone looking at a vehicle to transport a 17' kayak, for example. The handling is another issue.

But just the visual look is so not what I like to see in a vehicle. Vehicles these days seem to just look bigger and bulkier and taller. Its like manufacturers are still stuck in SUV mode. Worse, they are trying to make SUVs that are not SUVs. They know the SUV market has dropped out but they also know that people think "bigger is better" even though most people buy bigger when they don't need bigger. So the "big" look is in. Even for cars. But definitely for anything that could be into the crossover market to suck up the drop in SUV sales.
I think my next SUV will be a RAV4...they are now almost as big as my 2001 Highlander.

My recent car purchase was a "downsize" from the Outback I had. I gave up some storage space and utility and a little bit of interior room (which would be an issue if I were tall), but it's nice having a car I can toss around a little more.

The new look of the Outback is pushing into crossover territory, but I still think it looks like a wagon. The additional interior space can't hurt either...I always felt that my 1998 Outback was a bit lacking in rear seat room.

ctenidae

When you test drove the Legacy, did you test out its bike-bumping ability? Or the ease of swapping out unused ski/bike racks?

deadheadskier

Staff member
As much as I am a Legacy Wagon fan, I am not sure I would even look at that. Now if there was a real Impreza Wagon (not a 5dr HB) I would strongly consider that.

the better half is a big fan of hatch backs. I kind of like the style myself as well as having better utility than sedans in many ways.

We both really like the redesigned Impreza, but I would really have a hard time pulling the trigger on one. My legacy wagon is such a POS, I don't have much faith in Subaru build quality.

Though it doesn't have AWD, when we do get her a new car in a year or so, we're leaning towards a Mazda3 Hatch.

someone REALLY likes the outback: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/29/first-drive-2010-subaru-outback-has-character-for-everyone/

i agree....it looks good. nicer than the forester, at least in pictures.

the retractable crossbars of the roof rack seems like a great idea.

2010outback_review007_opt.jpg

2010outback_review004_opt.jpg

2010outback_review024_opt.jpg

I'd hit dat it the sedan!!!! Never been a fan of wagons and hatchbacks..

campgottagopee

Not surprised that the Subaru AWD system would do better overall, but I wonder if the test results in the video are at least part because of the tires...does the Outback come with more off-road suitable tires than other cars?

Nope, all season radials---in fact, less traction than what the Explorer tires wouold provide

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have seen a few of the new Imprezas around town. That redesign looks incredible. Looks more like a slightly scaled down version of the old Legacy than the older Imprezas that seemed more like they were designed for the metro wing folks.

Philpug

Stopped by to look at one again today, even sitting in it it feels damn big.

Geoff

someone REALLY likes the outback: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/29/first-drive-2010-subaru-outback-has-character-for-everyone/

i agree....it looks good. nicer than the forester, at least in pictures.

the retractable crossbars of the roof rack seems like a great idea.

2010outback_review007_opt.jpg

2010outback_review004_opt.jpg

2010outback_review024_opt.jpg

Considering the price of the car, I think the interior is plastic nastyness. As an SUV, it's useless since it has practially zero towing capacity. I'd tear it in two trying to pull my boat up the ramp. Why not just get a 30+ mpg FWD hatchback as a ski car and put good snow tires on it?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Considering the price of the car, I think the interior is plastic nastyness. As an SUV, it's useless since it has practially zero towing capacity. I'd tear it in two trying to pull my boat up the ramp. Why not just get a 30+ mpg FWD hatchback as a ski car and put good snow tires on it?
I think that would be the better way to go for most people. However, I have noticed most hatch backs are essentially compact cars with a hatch instead of a trunk. Some hatchbacks I swear would have less total space than similar other compacts with a deep trunk. Lots of hatchbacks don't even have any storage space since the passenger seats are right back into the hatch with very little extra space. I think the Suzuki AWD car suffers from this space issue, IIRC.

My need for a wagon type sized car is having two moderate to large sized dogs (well, only one now but that is why we need a larger car!). So there is definitely need for the type of space a wagon offers. Not to mention pushing into a backcountry "lot" after a snow storm when it isn't plowed. For the average commuting skier couple though, a standard hatchback with snow tires would be enough.

Hey, is it just me or did they substantially increase the base price of the Outback? I thought you used to be able to get the base model for $20k????

deadheadskier

Staff member

hammer

I love it. The "bloated crossover" slam.

Around here, the Honda CR-V seems to have all the market share. The Subarus in town are mostly old beaters. The new ones seem to be really expensive for what you get.
I've never driven in a CR-V, but as popular as they are they must be really nice inside...I'd think that a non-turbo 4-cyl in a vehicle that size would be quite anemic.