• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driven: 2010 Subaru Legacy, the car Subaru needs...

dmc

I got a survey from Subaru regarding an upcoming Outback commercial. It is the Outback going reverse through the car wash and coming out dirty. The tag line is something like "The Same Outback you love, only bigger". I had a series of questions about the commercial. The jist of my replies were... "Bigger isn't always better" and "It has become more of a car and less of a Subaru"

The reason I didn't replace my old Forester with the new model was it got bigger... i don't need bigger...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I love it. The "bloated crossover" slam.
It is amazing how all the car manufacturers are going for the crossover look. SUVs are so not in right now but people still want the cargo room. Too bad a good many "crossovers" still don't get much better MPG than smaller SUVs did. The increased size of the Outback has to be Subaru's effort to capture more Crossover market share. It just does not make sense since they already have the Forester.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Any of you Subie owners ever had to have the latch handle replaced on the tailgate? This seems to be another common issues with the cars. I've known several people who have had problems with the latches.

Glenn

HA!

Meanwhile, you’re waiting for acceleration to happen. Wait long enough and you’ll get to sixty miles per hour—even if you can’t quite remember quite how it happened until the morning after. You can slap the squat shift lever into manu-matic mode and flop through simulated gearshifts as if were a really crappy traditional automatic transmission. Appeasing to the lab coats at the EPA, this powertrain combo somehow manages to muster 29 mpg under optimal highway conditions. Color me indifferent; claimed driveability is an epic fail.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
They slammed a lot of cars pretty hard on that site but they had some positive reviews too. I couldn't find a review that was harder on a car than the Outback review. Probably since the author indicated he had liked previous Outbacks. That site really has a way with words to say the least!!!

Any ways, I will not be entering the auto market for another year or two but the Outback and Legacy were two cars previously on the top of the list. I still have not seen them in person but I have started looking at other vehicles whereas for the last three years, my next car purchase was definitely going to be a Subaru. I really like the Jetta Wagon TDI on paper. Looks kind of plain in person and I hate the VW logo for some reason but the 40 MPG and traditional wagon looks (definitely NOT designed to appeal to crossover folks) are strong appeals.

Edd

Any of you Subie owners ever had to have the latch handle replaced on the tailgate? This seems to be another common issues with the cars. I've known several people who have had problems with the latches.

I did have a latch problem like the 5th year I owned my Legacy.

It just struck me that I'd love a Subaru wagon with wood panel siding. Dang.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last edited:

hammer

I'm at the local Subie dealership now getting a bit of work done. They have an internet cafe in their waiting room.

The home page was set to a glowing review of the Legacy. I switched it to the truth about cars review above. :razz: :stirpot: :lol:
Good one...I'm surprised that they didn't block the website...;-)

Did you check out the car in the showroom? If so, what did you think of it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good one...I'm surprised that they didn't block the website...;-)

Did you check out the car in the showroom? If so, what did you think of it?

took a look at the Outback on the way in. WAY too big. Almost cartoonish in appearance. As others have said, why make it so big when you already have the Forester for people who want a larger car?

campgottagopee

took a look at the Outback on the way in. WAY too big. Almost cartoonish in appearance. As others have said, why make it so big when you already have the Forester for people who want a larger car?

All I can say we're selling the new Outbacks before they even come off the truck---peeps really dig 'em

deadheadskier

Staff member
Subaru got smart

Soccer Moms have more cash than the crunchy hippie types that have been buying their cars for the past two decades.

hammer

Subaru got smart

Soccer Moms have more cash than the crunchy hippie types that have been buying their cars for the past two decades.
Subaru's not doing anything different from what many car manufacturers have been doing for years...they are all up-sizing to meet demands for bigger vehicles.

Geoff

Subaru's not doing anything different from what many car manufacturers have been doing for years...they are all up-sizing to meet demands for bigger vehicles.

People have a short memory. Two years ago, gasoline was $5.00/gallon in many places. I'm not talking about Subaru since a Legacy is still a fairly small car and gets excellent highway fuel economy with the base engine and CVT but people are back buying sub-25 MPG soccer mom cars.

deadheadskier

Staff member
People have a short memory. Two years ago, gasoline was $5.00/gallon in many places. I'm not talking about Subaru since a Legacy is still a fairly small car and gets excellent highway fuel economy with the base engine and CVT but people are back buying sub-25 MPG soccer mom cars.

1 year ago