• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for an AT binding

awf170

I know its tough, but maybe theres a hope one of you is going to get a new pair this year and looking to unload your old pair, or something like that. Has to be something that I can use alpine boots with. And my boot sole length is 310mm, so it would have be in a med.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ebay.

there's a freeride on there right now that's up to $300 and reserve not met. that model is at least two years old, so the seller is going to make a profit on a used piece of equipment! WOW. talk about equipment holding it's value! might as well buy a new one depending on where that guy's reserve is.

there are a lot more options on a search for naxo, but make sure to ask the seller which vintage they are as the first run had a lot of breakage issues.

given how expensive those suckers have gotten and how in demand AT bindings are becoming, it's going to be hard to find a good deal on bindings. especially when people can get away with selling models from two years ago at a profit, damn.

awf170

riverc0il said:
ebay.

there's a freeride on there right now that's up to $300 and reserve not met. that model is at least two years old, so the seller is going to make a profit on a used piece of equipment! WOW. talk about equipment holding it's value! might as well buy a new one depending on where that guy's reserve is.

there are a lot more options on a search for naxo, but make sure to ask the seller which vintage they are as the first run had a lot of breakage issues.

given how expensive those suckers have gotten and how in demand AT bindings are becoming, it's going to be hard to find a good deal on bindings. especially when people can get away with selling models from two years ago at a profit, damn.

Ohh, Ive been looking at ebay a ton lately. No really good deals. I found new freerides for $325 at some website(forget the name), which is a pretty good deal. If I cant find any really good deals I think Ill just wait for christmas. I did get skis off ebay though yesterday, so i got one of 3 steps down(1. skis, 2. bindings, 3. skins) For skis I got brand new 168 Inspired Bigs(aka 8800's) for $150 :D :eek: Atleast if I cant find any bindings I can probably just re-sell them for the same price or more. :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
holy crap, nice find. i have the inspired bigs on my freeride setup and it's just a sick sick setup. love turning em. the bonus is they are really pretty skis just to look at. would hate to lose them in the snow on a powder day though :eek: :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nope, i have the G3's. work great and no complaints. the G3 and BD ascension are the one's to pick from. i think BD now has a clip version similar to the G3 if i am not mistaken? not a bad price. you'll want to pick the size that matches your tip measurement. a few mm's smaller (e.g. 120 skin for a 122 tip) is fine because you shave a few mm's anyways to fit your ski. but too many mm's smaller and you'll loose coverage, you can always cut a larger skin down.

awf170

riverc0il said:
you'll want to pick the size that matches your tip measurement. a few mm's smaller (e.g. 120 skin for a 122 tip) is fine because you shave a few mm's anyways to fit your ski. but too many mm's smaller and you'll loose coverage, you can always cut a larger skin down.

I was going to get the 110mm, thats what they recomended. And the big is a 119mm tip right, so minus the edges and it should be almost a perfect fit.

awf170

hey, i got another question(well actually 2). In the new skiing mag it says to mount the top piece on the freerides without its plastic shoe to get more ramp angle. That doesnt really make sense to me, I know you dont want the front of your foot to be higher than the back, but I think if that came with the binding there is obviosly a reason for it.
Also were did you mount you inspired bigs and did you like it. I heard -2cm was the best. :-?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i've been trying to decide on ramp angle. there is a pretty long debate over on TGR forums if you do a search. if you are skiing with alpine boots, no problem regarding the ramp angle. the problem is with AT boots which have a larger soled which needs a toe piece adjustment. so the toss piece is adjusted but not the heel piece resulting in a fairly flat ramp. i have been adjusting to the angle on AT boots and am getting the hang of it. alpine boots i wouldn't worry at all. i don't like the idea of removing the front shim under the toe piece at all. i like my binders whole and complete. some folks have shimmed up the heel piece with a custom job. unfortunately, no one produces heel shims for the freeride. fritschi should get on the ball with this as there is enough demand. but then if you go back to alpine boots after doing either adjustment, you are doublely screwed with too much ramp. i think leaving it alone is the best policy.

i mounted my inspired bigs 2 cm's back i believe, which is an excellent mounting spot for the ski. it might have been 1.5? but i think it was two. whatever the most dominent opinion over on TGR is what i went with. dynastar's mounting spots are all over the place. for the legend 8000, they moved the second run of the ski's mounting spot 1.5 back which resulted in less than admirable performance compared to the original mounting point. i have been doing a LOT of thinking about mounting points and have played around with a few mounting positions to varying degrees of success. i think it is the MOST underrated factor regarding a ski's performance. some people think a certain ski is just dead when it could just be not mounted in the ideal position for that skier.

Bosefius

awf170

riverc0il said:
i've been trying to decide on ramp angle. there is a pretty long debate over on TGR forums if you do a search. if you are skiing with alpine boots, no problem regarding the ramp angle. the problem is with AT boots which have a larger soled which needs a toe piece adjustment. so the toss piece is adjusted but not the heel piece resulting in a fairly flat ramp. i have been adjusting to the angle on AT boots and am getting the hang of it. alpine boots i wouldn't worry at all. i don't like the idea of removing the front shim under the toe piece at all. i like my binders whole and complete. some folks have shimmed up the heel piece with a custom job. unfortunately, no one produces heel shims for the freeride. fritschi should get on the ball with this as there is enough demand. but then if you go back to alpine boots after doing either adjustment, you are doublely screwed with too much ramp. i think leaving it alone is the best policy.

i mounted my inspired bigs 2 cm's back i believe, which is an excellent mounting spot for the ski. it might have been 1.5? but i think it was two. whatever the most dominent opinion over on TGR is what i went with. dynastar's mounting spots are all over the place. for the legend 8000, they moved the second run of the ski's mounting spot 1.5 back which resulted in less than admirable performance compared to the original mounting point. i have been doing a LOT of thinking about mounting points and have played around with a few mounting positions to varying degrees of success. i think it is the MOST underrated factor regarding a ski's performance. some people think a certain ski is just dead when it could just be not mounted in the ideal position for that skier.

thanks for the info. So you think I should still go -2cm back or just 1.5 because i have the 168 instead of the 178. I was thinking 1.5 should be the safe bet.
Also thats cool i dont have to worry about the ramp angle.... yet.

NHpowderhound

awf170

salida said:
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/BLD0234/c1/s2/Ascension-Nylon-ClipFix-Skins.html?id=3Q3gk5Fa

cheap skins

thanks again salida, I just ordered the 110mm ones.

Still looking for bindings though, so if anyone has ones to sell or if you found some cheap website just tell me.

And I got another question. What is the difference between the titinal 2 and 3?

awf170

P1010036.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
such a pretty looking ski :) the regular inspireds don't have the dragon on them and look even better. the dragon is okay... but the design of the ski is so simple and classic that the dragon always seemed outta place to me. you're gonna love that pair!

awf170

Whats the difference between the titinal 2 and 3. I know the 3 and freeride are almost the same. But I heard the 2 had some problems, anyone know?

JimG.

Staff member
awf170 said:
Whats the difference between the titinal 2 and 3. I know the 3 and freeride are almost the same. But I heard the 2 had some problems, anyone know?

The 2 isn't as beefy as the 3...they had some breakage problems. The difference between the 3 and the Freeride is the DIN settings. The 3 goes up to 10, the FR's up to 12.

BTW, I went online to look at new Freerides (mine are going great, thought I'd buy a new pair for down the road) and was shocked at the prices...close to $450!!!!