• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Injuries on Last Run

skibum1321

I was reading an article earlier with the following excerpt:
Exercise isn't everything, the experts said. Using your head can prevent accidents as well as physical conditioning. The smart sports enthusiast, they said:

• Skis or boards with a companion.

• Starts the day with easy, warm-up runs.

• Stops when tired. The last run of the day - often when injuries occur - could be the last run for a long time.
----
I just wanted to point out the last statement because it's something you hear alot. There is another big reason that always fails to be mentioned for most injuries occurring on the last run of the day - if you get hurt you obviously are done for the day, making it your last run by default.

The article:
http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bi...ealth&article_path=/health/health051114_1.htm

Skierman

Yep, that is 100% true. For me, it was 9:45 at Wachusett, and it was the last run for the night. I somehow fell, and split my head open on something. I had to get 4 stitches.

That was on a Sunday, and i skiid the following wednesday, but it could have been a lot worse.

dmc

skibum1321 said:

I agree it's better to stop when you tired.... But - I hate warmup runs.. Especially on a powder day... Or when in the BC... :)

catskills

I like the skier/rider that gets up enough nerve to try the extra steep double diamond big mogul trail on the very last run of the day. Often times if their lucky the result is a garage sale and the ski patrol trail sweep has to wait for this person to pick up their gear. In the not so lucky case the ski patrol trail sweep has to call for a toboggan.

hammer

If not the end of the day, then when?

OK...it's obvious that the end of the day is not the time to push your limits, but does anyone have any inputs on when you should do so?

awf170

Re: If not the end of the day, then when?

• Stops when tired. The last run of the day - often when injuries occur - could be the last run for a long time.

Im doomed, I ski a ton by myself...
I ussually ski moguls the first run because it is the only way I can warm up...
and I ski atleast 3 more runs usually after Im tried...

hammer said:
OK...it's obvious that the end of the day is not the time to push your limits, but does anyone have any inputs on when you should do so?

I would say right before lunch. Probably between your 3-5th run depending on how many runs per day you average.

Big Game

Poor lighting, hidden ice, tired legs, and because the day was so awesome, you don't really care anymore. Yep, the last run is always the most dangerous. But how do you know its the last run? Incapacitate yourself by doing something stupid like squeezing in another run. Oh God this is getting circular.

Last run on my first day last year was the one I needed to avoid. Kind of concusion-ny. Dream like trance of being somewhere on my back. Look up. Nice sky. Where could I be? Probably Vermont. Let's see the crowds are light, so its got to be midweek. If its midweek, I must be using my midweek pass. If I'm using my midweek pass, I'm at Stratton or Okemo. Doesn't really matter right now, need to go to the bottom. But where did I park my car? Did I drive? Or am I alone? Oh, that lift is at Okemo. So I must be at Okemo. If I was at Okemo, I'd probably be up here with Joe. Joe is faster than me, so he is probably in the southwest corner of the day lodge unsuiting. I'll go look to see if he is there.... Oh yeah, what do you know, Joe is there. I got to ask him something important.

"Joe, did I drive?"

Skifastsailfast

skibum1321 said:
Exercise isn't everything, the experts said. Using your head can prevent accidents as well as physical conditioning. The smart sports enthusiast, they said:

----
I just wanted to point out the last statement because it's something you hear alot. There is another big reason that always fails to be mentioned for most injuries occurring on the last run of the day - if you get hurt you obviously are done for the day, making it your last run by default.

The article:
http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bi...ealth&article_path=/health/health051114_1.htm

Skiing/boarding with a friend is a great theory, but not always practical. My favorite ski buddy is my hubby and he was out of commission most of last year with a bad back. Hopefully he's back this year.

Warm up runs? Yup, I like to do a nice cruiser or two to start out. My legs take a couple runs to wake up.

Injury during last run? Well yeah!!! My worst last run was four years ago, about third run after lunch, I'd say around 1:40 p.m. On the flats, complacency took over, ACL went bye-bye. All I could see going down was poplar trees on the side of the trail and I thought I was going to pull a Bono and smash what was left of my brains to smithereens.

Now I ski with a helmet now and reconned ACL.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
It only stands to reason that if you get injured...that is probably your last run.

Seriously though, more accidents happen at the end of the session than at any other time. Many of these accidents are young men between the ages of 12 and 18 trying to get just one more...catch the lift another time. This is particularly true if there is any kind of shut down time between the morning session and the evening session.

kcyanks1

Re: If not the end of the day, then when?

awf170 said:

I would say right before lunch. Probably between your 3-5th run depending on how many runs per day you average.

I agree. I normally feel like I'm skiing best right before lunch. After lunch I have a let down, and then I generally start feeling good again, but only for a run or too before I get tired.

kcyanks1

skibum1321 said:

----

Of course, you are right about getting hurt causing it to be the last run. But I do agree with the idea of getting hurt more when I tired. I've thankfully never really had an injury skiing, but I do think I fall more when skiing tired at the end of a day when I may have pushed myself.

Also, one time when I definitely pushed myself too much at MRG was the first time my back every hurt while skiing - and then it continued to happen at times in the future. There was no specific incident, but I was starting to tire, the conditions were amazing so I decided one last run. I wasn't doing something especially hard, but still a moguled run. By midway down I was exhausted stopping frequently, yet it was a while before I could get onto something groomed.

Lostone

I generally try to start off with a couple warm-ups. Often I start off on a green dot.

Powder??? :eek: No... that is time for trial by fire. 8)

Less chance of warm-ups on a powder day than friends. :wink:

Zand

I don't think I've ever been tired while skiing, but I guess it just because I'm young and don't tire as easily. Last year, I skiied 4 of 5 days. 2 were powder days in 32" deep sticky stuff and one was in wet spring conditions and I was still fine after.

I guess I better enjoy it. It won't last forever.

skibum1321

ctenidae said:
Anytime you lose something, it's always in the last place you look, too.
Yeah, that's kinda the point I was trying to make there.

A couple years ago at the Bush early season I was skiing on the side of the trail and hit a death cookie under some pow. It was probably around 12, but it sure was the end of my day since I shattered my thumb.