• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Katahdin Mt. Maine: Hike advice

thetrailboss

Staff member
I realize Katahdin isn't burke, but the same principles apply, and I agree with Mike's post wholeheartedly, but jesus guys, its not like hiking is some olympic endeavor, we were climbing katahdin for high school trips, and the subsequent 10 hikes around the southern baxter park peaks were all just that, hikes and experiences, did I make to all the peaks, no, but because of respect for the mountains and weather and trail conditions, and my preperation, or lack there of, everyone chimes in to say this poor guy is likely going die or need rescue, have half the people even been up there?, its comical the folks that make it to the top, or even attempt it, but thats what its about - the liklihood of this guy jumping of the knife's edge is pretty low

its sad to hear the stories of people perishing in the mountains, but thats why we go, because things are different up there, the energy put into it, the power they possess, have a little respect and common sense, I'll leave it at that

To answer your question, yes I hiked Katahdin last year. And if you read the initial post, the guy in question has no serious hiking experience and does not even own hiking boots. You and I probably grew up hiking and being outside everyday, so it may not seem like a big deal to handle a mountain like this because it comes as second nature. But if you want to advise a guy who doesn't even own hiking boots to take on Katahdin for his first hike, be my guest. I'd rather be overcautious.

kingdom-tele

deep breath trailboss - I wasn't calling you out

hopefully this guy has a good time - theres a lot more to baxter park than just chimney pond and the peak

I own hiking boots too

MR. evil

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I have passed along this info to my friend and he is taking it all under serious advicement. I do know his party will take a different route up than the one planned.

wa-loaf

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I have passed along this info to my friend and he is taking it all under serious advicement. I do know his party will take a different route up than the one planned.

Whatever happens I think we all need a trip report when they get back!

Skier75

WOW, I hope this guy takes this information seriously. I've been up to Katahdin three times and it still kicks my butt. The first time I tried hiking it with my husband we didn't make it all the way to the top and we got an early start and still ended up hiking back in the dark. We made a few mistakes on that hike, #1 my husband underestimated my ablility, #2 we listened to some other hiker's advise to go up the Cathedral trail(that in itself was a big mistake, for me anyways), and #3 I should've listened to my gut instinct after a few boulder scrambles that I was over my head(at the time anyways) to continue on. By the time we got to the by-pass, we had to head back down cause even by then it was getting too late to be where we was. Well we did learn from that experience. I've never taken that route again and will probably never will again.

I definitely would recommend starting at the crack of dawn, taking Chimney Pond to the Saddle and back the same, route. At least that's my recommended route or should I say preferred route. I have to say that has been by far the most strenous hike for me. We usually plan for a full day 8-10 hours, for an inexperienced hiker possibly more. The biggest thing is, for us anyways, is to know when enough is enough and to turn back before you regret you decision. We've turned back a few times and have not regretted our decisions.