• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any Tennis players?

deadheadskier

Staff member
J and I bought a couple of cheap rackets and played today for the first time since High School. Sucked it up pretty bad, but had a blast. I could see us playing quite regularly.

bigbog

not close enough DHS...

Not close enough deadheadskier. USED to play kinda regularly. Actually wasn't too bad..LOL. The single handed Backhand (ie Jurassic Era player):...footwork...get set BEFORE you hit it..you take your step forward...the wrist is pretty firm...all you have to do is think Low to High!..both with your body and the path of your hand(racket[head]).
A pretty straight path the hand takes from a little behind your rear hip to extending out in front..where you Hit it! People waiting to hit the ball by their torso...end up hitting it with a bent elbow...that's how all the "Tennis Elbows" occur... Hit it out in front with yourarm straight & at its extended length = use momentum not brute force for power.
$.01..:roll:

Warp Daddy

I used to play year round ( benefits of working for a university ) and was decent /We played EVERY DAY in Summer and once a week during winter for over 3 decades < The Queen STILL plays year round and has for over 40 years. She can now kick my butt since i only play now occasionally

deadheadskier

Staff member
If the weather allows, we'll try and play again tomorrow. J is far from the outdoorsy type, definitely not a skier, not all that into hiking either. If this works out to be an outdoor fitness / fun activity we can enjoy together, I'll be happy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
played yesterday. Was thinking about playing tonight, but I made a wrong turn on my hike this afternoon and what was supposed to be 2 miles turned into at least 4. Got home late and too tired to bother.

Did watch the Wimbledon finals today, which was epic. I don't think anyone has ever deserved to win a match more than Roddick did today. Unbelievable hold of service game he had going.

Puck it

I justed started playing again this year regularly again. I played in tournamnets in high school and college durting the summers. Gave it up after getting married and kids. Just like golf and skiing. No enough time. Kids are older now and do thier own thing. I actual play with my son now. It is great excercise and alot better running on a treadmill. My feet hurt after though.

gmcunni

i'm starting back into it. i played a bit as a teen but never got very good. didn't really "get" how to hit the ball and control it until i got older but never did much with it until recently. wife and some of her friends play something called "Point Play" and i've joined a few times when my schedule allowed. i really like playing, want to get more regular and start playing some people around my same skill level. checking out the local places trying to see if i can get into a winter league for week nights or early mornings.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone know of any forums or services to meet up with other players? Used to play with my wife, but her balance is off and will be for the next 6-7 months ;)

Savemeasammy

Anyone know of any forums or services to meet up with other players? Used to play with my wife, but her balance is off and will be for the next 6-7 months ;)

Is this your way of breaking some news?!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Excellent. Congrats!

Great thread to break the news in, btw. Before you know it, 2 or maybe 3 other people will know! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savemeasammy

It's good to have that first trimester in the rearview! Hopefully everything goes smoothly from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
It might. We'll see how my wife is feeling. The summit will be a last minute decision for me. Approximate due date is 3/14.

If you ever wanted to meet up in Haverhill for tennis, I'd be down for that. I'm sure there are some public courts around.

darent

was the groundskeeper for a set of private grass courts in the early 80's., put a lot of time in playing tennis, was also playing squash at that time and ended up with a severe case of tennis elbow. had to stop playing so I could earn a living as a carpenter. have only played a few times since then, squash was up my alley because of my wristy back hand that I struggled with in tennis.

dlague

I played on the tennis team in high school and my first year of college. Played on a team in the military. Have tried to get my family into it but we have summer ADD. Still enjoy it but no one to really play with for real. It is a little tough on my knee that I had an ACL replacement on.