• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

some pics from our tornado

SKidds

I was driving across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge on I84 right before this storm and I noticed a twist in the clouds. I pulled over to make sure I was not seeing things, and it was definitely a start of a tornado. Kinda scary. What was even funnier was driving by Hudson Valley BMW and seeing most of the alarms going off on the bimmers due to a close lightning strike. Imagine all of the salespeople scrambling for the keys to shut them down!
We're right on the river, a couple miles north of the bridge. That storm took down a couple of big trees on my property. Fortunately they didn't land on anything. Sucks spending your Saturday clearing trees, but seeing the damage those storms inflicted in CT and I'll count myself as lucky. We have a neighbor who took down some unhealthy trees (part of one fell on our pool fence last year) just a few weeks ago. Glad he did because they wouldn't have survived Friday's storm.

2knees

finally had some free time tonight so I put together a slideshow of most of my pics.

bvibert

Staff member
Crazy pictures!

I'm going to be disappointed if you tell me that you didn't launch yourself off that uprooted section of sidewalk at 3:29

2knees

Did they fix or level that house that got split by the tree?

they've been taking it down over the past 2 days. As of this morning, only the fireplace and 1/4 of the first floor remained.

MommaBear

I didn't realize AZ'ers lived so close by!

I drove thru the Wethersfield section from Newington about 15 minutes after the storm rolled thru (thankfully I had waited out the heavier rain in the Sam's Club or I would have been driving thru as it was happening!). Was in awe of the damage but really impressed by the neighbors out there checking in on each other and directing us cars thru the side streets off Prospect to avoid the downed trees and flooded streets. Scary ride home to Hebron where, thankfully in our section, all we had was large hail and some wind and rain. No serious damage.

Greg

Staff member
Crazy. We had a pretty wicked thunderstorm roll through last night, but nothing anywhere near that. I hate seeing all the big oak trees in our neighborhood blow around.

Paul

I didn't realize AZ'ers lived so close by!

I drove thru the Wethersfield section from Newington about 15 minutes after the storm rolled thru (thankfully I had waited out the heavier rain in the Sam's Club or I would have been driving thru as it was happening!). Was in awe of the damage but really impressed by the neighbors out there checking in on each other and directing us cars thru the side streets off Prospect to avoid the downed trees and flooded streets. Scary ride home to Hebron where, thankfully in our section, all we had was large hail and some wind and rain. No serious damage.

Closer than you think, I though I was all alone out here....