• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Ascutney 06/27/09

mrzilliox

Date Hiked: 6/27/09

Trails Hiked: Weathersfield Trail

Total Distance: 5.8 mi

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Good

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report:
had the parameters of a sub-three hour drive from Boston, and nothing east of I-93 in NH due race traffic concerns, so VT it was. Ascutney ended up being a good choice as it was a beautiful day in general.

Made it to the trailhead by about 10:30 with a buddy and two four-legged companions. Superbly maintained trail the entire way up. Cascade falls at mile 1.2 was a very nice vista and provided some cool relief on the way down. The trail itself has some good vertical stretches, but it's never for too long a stretch, thanks to some really well placed switchbacks. Definitely a workout though, and my legs still feel it today.

At the summit, the West Peak was the place to be. Blue skies + distant storm clouds made for a beautiful vista that we enjoyed from the wooden hang gliding deck. Summit proper & lookout tower was a little crowded (a dozen + folks around 1pm), but the west peak, while not a 360 like the tower, was perfect. Also took a side trip over to Brownsville Rock. After an hour or so on/around the summit we headed down.

Would have made great time except for a flare up of tendonitis in my buddy's knee; he basically did the entire descent on one leg. ouch. a few hundred expletives and 3.5 hours later, we were back at the car.