• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Root...boot heaters

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So wait a minute...I can't just put the el-crapo foot bed that the heating element is attached to on top of my Superfeet Green footbed???

I've been trying to figure that out all weekend.

Hawkshot99

So wait a minute...I can't just put the el-crapo foot bed that the heating element is attached to on top of my Superfeet Green footbed???

I've been trying to figure that out all weekend.

If they come already attached to a footbed then no you cant. Well at least not if your boot fit right before hand.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Can you cut the element out of the crappy footbed and attach to your Superfeet? Or return them and get the ones made for that kind of thing?
Return...no, got them off Tramdock more then 3 months ago.

I guess that's what I'm going to attempt. I think cutting out the elements is going to be a lot easier then attaching them to the Superfeet footbed.

o3jeff

Return...no, got them off Tramdock more then 3 months ago.

I guess that's what I'm going to attempt. I think cutting out the elements is going to be a lot easier then attaching them to the Superfeet footbed.

They have a very liberal return policy, should have no problem returning them even after 3 months.

Hawkshot99

Hot tronics sells just the heating elements, that you can add to any existing foot bed. I am sure Thermic does the same.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The one with the fabric. The element works best on top of the insole, closer to your foot. If you had no fabric over it, I am guessing your sock would pull it off the footbed, as you put the boot on.
I was thinking about carefully cutting the element piece out of the el-crappo footbed and duct taping it on to my superfoot one. :lol: I guess I should add this to my x-mas list, since people never seem to know what to get me.

My other crazy thought, was to get an over-the-counter dress shoe orthotic and hot gluing it together with half the el-crappo footbed.

wa-loaf

I was thinking about carefully cutting the element piece out of the el-crappo footbed and duct taping it on to my superfoot one. :lol: I guess I should add this to my x-mas list, since people never seem to know what to get me.

My other crazy thought, was to get an over-the-counter dress shoe orthotic and hot gluing it together with half the el-crappo footbed.

I'd try carving it out first. If that doesn't work then buy a new element.

Moe Ghoul

Not knowing which year/model you got, but my first pair of hotronics clipped on the back of the boot and would get crushed when getting on a lift. So I MacGiver'd new clips out of coathangers and that worked well. The new pair I bought don't have that problem anymore. Good luck with the installation. It's fairly EZ.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'd try carving it out first. If that doesn't work then buy a new element.
Normally, I would be also, but I don't really think I'm gonna "need" them for skiing 1 trail of wrod this weekend. That and I really have no "suggestions" for my family on gifts this year. I'll put these into my winter boots for shoveling and days when I'm outdoors but not skiing.

Glenn

Root, I used mine yesterday. I was worried about the footbed...but it worked just fine. I agree, it's pretty crappy and basic. Plan B would be that link you posted. It looks like the stock once are sandwiched into the foot bed. As someone mentioned, that probably helps with heat transfer.

Oh, another note..... I read the directions for charging at about 10PM Sunday before we were to go skiing. It said to do 2 or 3 (I think?) discharge/charge cycles. Make sure you do that. I did one charge cycle (didn't discharge since the setup is brand new). One battery was dead by lunchtime. LOL!

But they do work nicely overall. I'm looking forward to having them when it's really chilly out.