• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Root...boot heaters

Glenn

Finally got mine! $75 from Tramdock. I've been waint for months for these. I just happened to be at my desk this time when the notifier popped up on the PC. :daffy:

The charger/discharger looks pretty slick. My wife has a set of thermics, but you have to manually run the batteries down before charging.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Cool...glad you finally scored a set.

To be honest, I haven't even opened the box up yet. That's cool that they included a discharge feature.

Glenn

I'll do a writeup on the install. Looks simple...trim heated foodbed, install, run wire, mount battery. I'm sure I just jinxed myself though. :spin:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Good idea...I'll probably do the same. I'm in no rush to do it now...that will just increase my jonesing

Glenn

Amen to that. I'll do it in August when it gets really bad. HA!

Glenn

Bump!

Root, I installed these Sunday night. Of course, I left the damn digital camera in CT...figures. It's really not that hard at all. Cutting down the liners took the most time. I looked at my wife's Salomon boots which came from the factory with the Thermics. One thing I liked about hers: The element was attached to the "stock" footbed which is molded to the boot. On ours, it's just a generic flat footbed. I walked around in the boots for about 20 minutes after I installed them...I really didn't notice much of a difference, but we'll see how things go on the slope. If push comes to shove, I "may" be able to remove that element from the Thermic footbed and put it on the stocker.

On her boots, the wire goes under the footbed, out through a slit in the heel then up the rear of the liner and through a small loop. My boots didn't have the loop, but that wasn't a big deal. I cut a small hole in each heel and just fed the wiring through.

Another thing my wife's boots had is a neat little clip on the rear of the boot to hold the batteries. I was able to just use the power strap. Slight issue with the stop buckle hitting the batter pack when you try to undo it. However, just undoing the powerstrap first makes that problem go away.

So, just a few minor gripes...but probably me being overly OCD. I'm sure I'll forget all of these when my feet are nice and toasty on a cold day.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I was going to do mine on Sunday, but I decided that I should try to kill off any lingering smell in the boots 1st.
TuningBench010.jpg

WJenness

Where did you guys get your stuff?

My gf's boots have the elements in them and I'd like to get her the batteries / a charger for Christmas.

-w

Mildcat

Bump! If push comes to shove, I "may" be able to remove that element from the Thermic footbed and put it on the stocker.

New heating elements might be pretty cheap. I know the Hotronics are, I don't know about the Thermics though. They also sell the clips to to attach the batteries to the boots.

Hawkshot99

The freezer trick works great. Febreez only masks the smell. I was asked not to bring my boots in the store the smelled so bad. Froze them and they smelled great!

On the install.....
I have only installed hotronic brand, so may be a little different.
I have always used the stock footbed. Never the one provided by the company.
I figure out where I will put the element, and then cut a hole large enough to fit the plug and wire through into the footbed. This hole is right behind the element, were the wire comes out.
The hotronics comes with a very thin piece of one sided sticky fabric, that we put over the entire footbed to cover the element/wire.
Cut the slit in the back of the boot liner and install footbed, and wire through the hole.
I either use duct tape, or another hottronics provided piece to tape the wire to the top of the liner.
The Hotronics come with a metal clip to secure the battery to the power strap of your boot.

When you are wearing the heaters on the mountain, if you can feel heat you have them turned up too much. You do not want to feel heat, just lack of cold.

Glenn

Thanks guys.

Basically, these came with the elements already in a set of flat footbeds. The footbeds needed to be trimmed to fit into my boot liner.

I just did some googling...semi custom thermic footbeds: http://cozywinters.com/shop/th-1304-10.html?source=base

Or,....just the element to use on the stock footbeds: http://cozywinters.com/shop/th-7372-7435.html?source=base

So there are options if these footbed don't work that well.

Found the clips for the boots: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...59&AID=10281785&SID=thermic7&avad=535_a58ee15

Of course...they're out of stock.....

Ah ha! More:
http://cozywinters.com/shop/th-687758.html

Or power straps:
http://cozywinters.com/shop/th-1503.html