• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Franconia Ridge Traverse - 7/10/09

skibum9995

Date Hiked: 7/10/09

Trails Hiked: Pemi Tr, Liberty Springs Tr, Flume Slide Tr, Franconia Ridge Tr, Greenleaf Tr, Old Bridle Path

Total Distance: 15.6 mi, 5100 ft elevation gain

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Wet

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report:

I started my day at the Basin and took the Pemi Tr to the start of the Liberty Springs Tr where I started the climb up to the Flume Slide. The trail up to and after the Liberty Springs/Flume Slide split was wet and muddy as was to be expected. I made good time up to the base on the slide where things started to get interesting. The rock slabs had a small stream running down them making them quite slippery and had to maintain traction on. It took me a good bit of time to get up to the ridge having to stop and evaluate my route fairy often. Once I made it to the ridge it was a short walk up to the summit where I stopped for 15 minutes or so to eat a sandwich.

The hike over to Liberty was nice and relaxing and I crossed the top and headed for Little Haystack. The section of trail between them was muddy in spots but in good shape overall. Coming out of the woods onto the summit was like walking into the mall, there were people everywhere, out enjoying the beautiful day. I crossed the ridge with a short stop on Lincoln for another sandwich and moved on to the hut where I filled up my water bottle and headed for the bottom. I was back at the car after a walk down the bike path. Great day to be outside

thetrailboss

Staff member
Isn't the difference between Flume/Liberty and Haystack/Lafayette, in terms of crowds, amazing?