• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Orion convert

wa-loaf

NOOOIIIIICE:beer:

I like my ribs a bit saucy, so I either throw them on the grill with some bbq sauce on or just slap some bbq sauce on and wrap in foil for 5-10 mins.

I brought some BBQ sauce but everyone seemed to love them the way they were.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Excellent ..tomorrow when I get home from work I am putting mine together. Maybe you should start a Orion tip thread on cooking and maintenance. I think we need a subforum for BBQ and grilling topics.
I'm counting on DHS to use his new mod powers to give us a BBQ sub-forum.
sign0106.gif
:grin:

Grassi21

Gonna give mine a try tomorrow. Grabbed some ribs tonight, but forgot to get some rub.

make your own rub... chili powder paprika, cayenne i you like it hot, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.... get creative after that... add some thyme, dried mustard. i have a couple of proprietary rubs and a vinegar based bbq sauce that is killer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Let me ask this, if you were to get ribs on a real BBQ house down south, would they be spare ribs or baby back ribs?

really depends

some of the chefs that I sell to do competition bbq for fun on the side. Most of them prefer St. Louis Ribs to Baby Backs

deadheadskier

Staff member
Question for Master Root

wood chips.....how much do you use surrounding the drip pan? Do you pretty much pack them in that channel or just a light amount spaced throughout. I tried the former with my sausage last night and totally screwed them up. Granted, bad batch to begin with, but they tasted like smoldering logs they were so smokey. Put them in our covered kitchen waste basket over night and the kitchen smelled like a campground in the morning. :lol:

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Question for Master Root

wood chips.....how much do you use surrounding the drip pan? Do you pretty much pack them in that channel or just a light amount spaced throughout. I tried the former with my sausage last night and totally screwed them up. Granted, bad batch to begin with, but they tasted like smoldering logs they were so smokey. Put them in our covered kitchen waste basket over night and the kitchen smelled like a campground in the morning. :lol:
Couple of handfulls. Dropped in lightly, around the whole perimeter.

Geoff

That's how I do it.

That's how I do it as well.

My sauce recipe is:

1 large yellow onion, chopped, sauteed in vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped fine, added to the onions in the last few minutes of the sautee

Dump in:
2 small cans of tomato paste
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder (I make my own grinding smoked Ancho, chipotle, and New Mexican peppers)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like your BBQ sauce hot)

Heat until it starts bubbling, turn down the flame, and simmer for 30 minutes

I have one of those Weber R2-D2 smokers. I've only used it a couple of times this summer.