• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Orion convert

deadheadskier

Staff member
redeemed myself for the weak ass sausage I made yesterday.

Made some homemade Kielbasa and cooked it for 20 minutes with mesquite chips........sooooooo goooooood

Here's a question for the pros. Any creative methods for adding wood chips after the initial load? From what I can see, the Orion offers about 3-4 hours cook time, but an appropriate amount of wood chips only smoke well for about 45 minutes.

I pulled the cooking great and tried to add extra half way through cooking tonight and landed well over 50% straight into the drip pan, small channel around the outside.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Hmmm not too sure on that one DHS. I've had 16lbs or pork butt in going for around 6 hours and didn't run out of smoke/chips. I've also done briskets at 3-4 hour range with out having to reload chips.

o3jeff

When I did the ribs yesterday I used the whole bag of charcoal for about an hour cook time and the smoker continued to burn well into the night. How much charcoal do you really need to use without it affecting the cook times too much? Also when I am done cooking should I let it burn itself out or can I use water to put it out?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
When I did the ribs yesterday I used the whole bag of charcoal for about an hour cook time and the smoker continued to burn well into the night. How much charcoal do you really need to use without it affecting the cook times too much? Also when I am done cooking should I let it burn itself out or can I use water to put it out?
I always fill the rings to the very top. It doesn't make sense to risk undercooking $40 worth of meat to save $7 on charcoal.

You could just let it burn out. I wouldn't water it down. Makes cleanup messy. Or you could recycle.

Get a galvanized steel bucket with a lid at Home Depot or Lowes.

***WARNING***
IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
THE CHARCOAL BURNING IN THE ORION CAN PRODUCE TEMPERATURES IN EXCESS OF 800 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT!
***USE NFPA RATED SAFTEY EQUIPMENT*** ***HIGH RISK OF SEVERE BURNS*** *** PLEASE EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION***

Ok now that I got that out of my system, here's what you can do:

First, I pull the trap door out of the bottom ring. I then use it to push the coals down the hole, onto the lid of my bucket.
HPIM0377.jpg

I don't let a lot of coals fall in there at once. About a dozen or so. Dump this into the bucket and repeat. Once your done, cover the bucket and let it sit until extinguished.
HPIM0380.jpg

A few days later I put an old window screen over a garbage can and used it to filter out excess ash.
This is my yield of recycled charcoal from a 3 baby back rib cook two weeks ago. I think it was around 7 pounds.
HPIM0348.jpg

HPIM0347.jpg

Usually after two cooks, I have enough recycled charcoal to fire a whole cook. I don't recycle the coals twice. Hope this has helped.

MR. evil

Jeff dropped off my Orion this morning and I just finished setting it up. Picked up some baby back ribs and charcoal when I went shopping afterwork. Hoping to test this bad boy out one night this week.

Grassi21

Jeff dropped off my Orion this morning and I just finished setting it up. Picked up some baby back ribs and charcoal when I went shopping afterwork. Hoping to test this bad boy out one night this week.

start now and you could be eating by 1am.

Glenn

I drove all the way to Keene, NH...and went to Home Depot...no luck. Actually, we ran there from VT. But I did check! If they had a bunch, I would have grabbed a few extra for AZ-ers.

o3jeff

I drove all the way to Keene, NH...and went to Home Depot...no luck. Actually, we ran there from VT. But I did check! If they had a bunch, I would have grabbed a few extra for AZ-ers.

Check the North Haven store, I left one behind. Make sure you ask someone who knows what is going on there as they might have put it back up in the overhead(aisle with the hand leaf blowers and chainsaws). If you want I will post up the sku# later so you can call.

MR. evil

There is a very light drizzle at my house, thinking of testing out the Orion. Will the light rain be an issue?

Paul

Guess I belong in the ECB-type crowd. I got a propane-fired smoker from Cabella's.

Love the thing to death...

n1555069169_139823_5456.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
That's core, man. Hard core.
That was my 1st beef brisket. I wasn't about to let a little rain get in the way. I had the meat sitting in a brine of 1/2 apple juice 1/2 apple cider for 24 hours. I had to cook it somehow.

100_3058.jpg

100_3062.jpg

Wrapped it up in foil for 20 mins to let everything re-distribute.
100_3063.jpg

Glenn

Check the North Haven store, I left one behind. Make sure you ask someone who knows what is going on there as they might have put it back up in the overhead(aisle with the hand leaf blowers and chainsaws). If you want I will post up the sku# later so you can call.

If I can find time, maybe I'll take ride there this week. Any luck at either Southington store? I frequent the one on Meriden/Wtby turnpike. That's about 5 minutes from the office. Perfect for quick runs at lunch.

Root, you are hardcore! Damn!!! ShamWow!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I want video of Root at the upcoming Orion World Championships. :lol:

don't kid yourself by calling it an Orion Cookout. It's definitely competition....

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Yeah...I can only imagine what my neighbors think...

"Hey honey...you're not going to believe what the guy across the street is doing now" :lol: