• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Rides Alone?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would have to guess a fair amount of you do.

Why is not much made of this, when people often frown upon skiing the trees alone? Seems a bit hypocritical to me. If anything I would think that Mountain Biking in the woods would present a greater risk than skiing with weather being the only bigger issue against skiing.

I forget the gentleman's name, but I recall intending a fund raiser for a long time member of the Stowe Community becoming paralyzed while out MTB alone. I think he may have been a former manager up at Trap Family Lodge or something.

Why do you suppose very little is made of people riding alone in the 'back country' yet, it is frowned upon with skiing?

rueler

I'm a strong advocate of safety in numbers...just not too many "numbers"!!

Anyhow, I don't like to ski or ride alone, but do on a rare occasion. When I don't have plans to ride with anyone, I just usually show up at my local trailhead and jump in with a group that is about to do a loop. It has gotten to the point where I am familiar with most people there and it's easy to find someone to jump in with for a ride.

bvibert

Staff member
I ride alone occasionally, not as much in the last couple of years since hooking up with the AZ crew. When I do I tend not to ride as aggressively, but you're right there's still plenty of risk involved. I guess another difference between MTB and tree skiing is that for the most part when you MTB you're on a trail, where you're more likely to have someone come along and find you, versus tree skiing where you may be in the middle of the woods somewhere that no one else would go. It's not much of a difference, but it's something... I guess..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
When I have ridden alone (which does happen because of the kids situation), I stick to easier DT that I'm familiar with. I don't veer off the predetermined path and I keep my cell phone with me (which does work in that area). I don't take risks. It's just time on the bike, not time to try anything crazy. I agree with safety in numbers, but it's not always possible for me.

Trev

I carry a cell when I ride solo and, as most above mentioned, I don't do anything too crazy. Though some of the not so crazy shit can still hurt.

To each their own.. always a critic no matter what you do...and how you do it. Think with the head is all..

Safety in numbers is a good theory when it can be applied... it doesn't take much to get in and start riding with a gang.. look at me.. I knew nobody here prior to starting to bike this year.. nobody. I regularly ride with someone from the forums here.. it's too easy to do.

If you don't know anyone who rides, there are easily available places to find some. Here.. CrankFire (or as I recently call it "Animal Kingdom Photo Ops").. etc..

Anyhow, back to work, all of ya..! lol

BackLoafRiver

+1 on the safety in numbers but, recently it has been a bit tough. I haven't hooked up with anyone in my area that rides. On Tuesdays when I am working out of town, I bring my bike with me and do a few hours with a friend.

My girlfriend likes to bike as well but our schedules + the weather have not equaled opportunity. The last few times I have been out have been solo.

Greg

Staff member
I really prefer to not ride alone, but I do it from time to time. In fact, I did a 12+ miler solo yesterday. When I go, my wife knows which area I'll be and when to expect me. I should probably leave a more detailed itinerary of trails I'll be on. FWIW, I carry the cell too, but I have it on every ride. I definitely dial it back when solo and skip most stuntry and really techy spots. In a way, this leads to me usually riding crappy so aside from the safety factor, I prefer to ride with others.

MR. evil

When I do I tend not to ride as aggressively, ..

Is that even possible :-D

I ride alone every once in a while, but when I do I stick to trails that see heavy traffic and ride less aggressive. I did a solo ride last night and found a really steep root covered DH shoot. I REALLY wanted to ride it, but didn't think it was a good idea while riding alone.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I mostly ride sole. The area I ride at gets a pretty decent amount of foot/bike/horse traffic, so I'm pretty sure that if something happened, someone would notice. I also carry my cell with me.

Occasionally, if I see some dudes just starting out, I'll ask if I can ride along with them. I usually fall way behind since 90% of all riders maintain a pace that doesn't suit me.

shpride

Ride alone, and often ski alone. My buddies who haven't moved to Co. have stopped biking, and don't like skiing full days like me.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
is there any bike patrol like ski patrol???

Yes and they pull you over and give you warnings and fines if you're riding too fast. I think they went to the same patrol school as those guys at Blue Mt. :)

I do ride alone. I bring my cell....and usually will just do the local woods and single track that I know well. I usually won't do much exploring..but that has been known to happen. I try not to ski the woods alone....but also have on occasion ventured into some woods/trees that I know well. I guess I figure when its my time, its my time. I do, however, always wear a helmet.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I do about half the time. I don't think it's as dangerous as skiing alone in the BC. The fact that you are on a trail and there is not several feet of snow on the ground, and you won't die of exposure over night are the big difference to me.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
i am under the delusion that my dog will get my cell phone out of my pack and arrange for help. once that is done, sprint back to the car, get the cooler and return to my location leaving red ribbons on trees. She'll of course have a fire going by the time help arrives. then she'll rewind the camera and show the medics what happened because she's a great videographer.

i don't know why i am ok with riding alone... honestly, i enjoy it. very peaceful and it emphaises to me that i ride for myself... hmm... stupid huh