• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just a user preference poll-Ski brand

What brand is your primary ski? (the one you use most)

• Atomic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blizzard

• Dynastar

• Fischer

• Line

• Rossignol

• Stockli

• Volant

• Volkl

• My brand is not on this list (please note the brand below)

• Total voters

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I am conducting this pole to see what is the most commonly used brand of skis by people on this forum. While I realize that many of us have more than one pair, we all have one pair that we use the most. This poll is NOT to say one brand is better than another, but simply to see what is our most commonly used brand. I have several different brands of skis at several different lengths myself, yet I know that on ski will be my primary ski this season.
The brands are listed alphabetically to show no bias from me.

I

IndyJones

I've got Rossignols. Like I said in the other. I didn't see this one before I posted in that one.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
The other thread is no longer valid as I had to do it in 2 parts. Greg is going to lock the other 2 threads or somehow take care of them as not to confuse people.
Sorry about this confusion

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i LOVE my volkls unconditionally. will take an aweful big impression for me to ever switch brands again. i had a pair of rossi 9x's break on me (beyond repair) after only 2 years of use; so i'll probably never try them again.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
My vote is for volkls too, but I can't put it on. I tried to transfer the votes that were on the first poll and after doing the Rossi Vote I could not add another. I have told Greg this though and am seeing if there is any way he can add my vote and the other vote from the first poll.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

ChileMass

Ski Brand

I have been an almost lifelong Rossi man. Had some K2s when I was a kid, and did a couple years on Atomics back in the 70s before they got ripped off at West Mountain. Currently on a pair of 201-cm GS racing skis with a moderate sidecut, and they are quick as lightning, baby.

ChileMass

Just wanted to add that my understanding is that Volkls are outstanding - my wife's entire family skis on them and has for years. Justa few years back, whenever I went to CO or UT, by far the most popular brand of skis seemed to be Volkls.......

Greg

Staff member
K2 Axis X Pros for me. 183 cm.

Greg

Staff member
teachski said:
My vote is for volkls too, but I can't put it on. I tried to transfer the votes that were on the first poll and after doing the Rossi Vote I could not add another. I have told Greg this though and am seeing if there is any way he can add my vote and the other vote from the first poll.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Yup. For obvious reasons, phpBB only allows one vote per user. I went in and edited the database manually to reflect teachski's vote (i.e. retracted a Rossi vote and added one for Volkls.

J

jlangdale

I've got some shorter K2 Merlin IV's I got at a pawn shop for $100 bucks with marker bindings. I have some old Rossy boots I've had since I got them at Mount Snow in 1995 after breaking my previous boots on the back side.

I just got new snowboard setup, so I don't know that I'm going to get new skis this year. But if I do I'll end up getting Salomon CrossMax Pilots using S912 Ti binding or something.

jimme

Looks like a Rossi camp here! :wink: I've been using the T-Power Viper's for the last three seasons. They're great in everything but powder and late spring conditions.

Jimme

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My good skis are Volkl P50 F1 Energy's, which I love to death on groomers and hard pack.

They are really a GS ski though, and they're simply to stiff and heavy to take through bumps, they're a chore in crud and powder.

I still ski much of the time on my 5 year old Rossy Cut 10.4, a beginner ski but super light, shorter than the Volkl's (177 as opposed to 183) and much softer to conform to the bumps I still can't ski...

But from the ski's I've demoed, I've always liked the Volkl's, and used models and 1 and 2 year old new models seem to always be very good deals.

Greg

Staff member
Marc - demo the 724's this season. They're a bit more forgiving in the crud and bumps than the Volkl carvers. They still like to ski fast though. I haven't quite settled on whether they're right for me based on what I like to ski though.

ctenidae

Last year my skis were Dynastars, this year they're Head (mostly because I couldn't find as good a deal on Volkl). I voted Dynastar because they have been my most used ski.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I definitely will, Greg. I have been eyeing that ski since it came out. Heard good things about it.

What would you suggest on lenght? I'm just 6' tall... I like the 177's, and will probably find something like that although I've been noticing the trend has been going wider and shorter.

Edit: typo

Greg

Staff member
Marc said:
What would you suggest on lenght? I'm just 6' tall... I like the 177's, and will probably find something like that although I've been noticing the trend has been going wider and shorter.
Ski length is dependent on weight more than height. I've been steadily going shorter. I'm 6'1" and only 165 lbs. so I 'm probably gonna aim for low to mid 170's for my next ski. I like short-radius snappy turns, bumps, cruddy snow (sides versus groomed middles) and starting to get into the trees more so I think 172cm-177cm is right for me. I'm currently on 182 cm K2 Axis X Pros and will probably either go with the Volkl 724 EXP or the Dyna Legend 8000. If the EXP, probably in 177 cm; if the 8000 probably 172 cm.

Sky

Skied Kniesel's at first, then upgraded (into 20th century) with some cheapo Kastle's I got from Ocean State Job Lot (which probably means they were knock-offs or rejects)...but they were better than the antiques I was on *egad, 210 cm straight and awkward).

Upgraded the next year (via a friendly hand-me-down) 184 Rossi CUT. Didn't know what chatter was until I tried those.

Actually, I didn't know what "chatter" was until I demoed my next new pair of skis...Atomic Beta Rides. *drool* 190cm. Those babies were rock solid. Dumped the Rossis ASAP! Stuck with those Atomics for 5 seasons. Really improved my skiing over those years between the confidence they provided and the lessons I took.

Just bought the Volkl Supersport Superspeed in a 175 last March after demoing them vs Fischer RX9's. I love the shorter length. Easier to steer, more powerful ski, less speed with the shorter length equals more control for me.

Absolutely spactacular. *goose bumps*

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
I gotta say solomon because I love my pocket rockets....but I am also a HUGE Dynastar fan..can I vote twice?

Also, I got my wife a pair of Vokl's last winter, and she loves them.

Maybe I get a pair of Vokl's as an all mountain ski.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Greg said:
Marc said:
Ski length is dependent on weight more than height. I've been steadily going shorter. I'm 6'1" and only 165 lbs. so I 'm probably gonna aim for low to mid 170's for my next ski. I like short-radius snappy turns, bumps, cruddy snow (sides versus groomed middles) and starting to get into the trees more so I think 172cm-177cm is right for me. I'm currently on 182 cm K2 Axis X Pros and will probably either go with the Volkl 724 EXP or the Dyna Legend 8000. If the EXP, probably in 177 cm; if the 8000 probably 172 cm.

I look for more 177's when I demo, then. The Rossy's feel like a very... convenient length. I'm 6'0, 165lb. (Sometimes up to 170 in the winter though, probably from the beer, sometimes as low as 160 in the summer after biking a lot).