• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flood Watch issued for the Killington area

loafer89

I just was at the NWS website and a flood watch is in effect for the Killington region. The forecast is calling for over 2" of RAIN :roll: :angry:

I anticipate that they will lose Rams Head as Header had thin cover. Cascade, East Fall, Great Northern and The Glades area should survive okay.

This weather bites the big one.

loafer89

Killington made tons of snow on Cascade and it was a very heavy wet base building snow, I think it was 3-5' deep in spots.

East Fall had a few 8-10' tall snowmaking mounds that they groomed flat yesterday.

Skye Lark had deep cover in alot of places, but also alot of wet ground with running water beneath the snowpack.

There is about 8-12" of natural snowcover in the Killington region and temps in the 50's with heavy rain will mean some flooding is possible.

This pattern is exactly just like what happened on Thanksgiving weekend in 1998, when Killington got dumped on with 12-18" of snow. They had 63 trails open that weekend, then came a thaw/heavy rain and they were down to about 12 trails.

LVNLARG

thetrailboss said:
Yes...don't you just love our new New England winter weather??? :roll:

OK...you can stop your bitching and moaning too. :lol: Try living in Nova Scotia....we're jutting out into the Atlantic ocean. That means we susceptable to the same jetstream changes New England sees...but to a power of 10. It can go to 70 and rain in the middle of January for 2 days and then drop to -20 in the run of 3 hours. :angry:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
c'mon guys, look on the bright side... all that rain will freeze up after the warming spell and mix in to create an icy hard base ;) on a serious note, i am cautiously optimistic that may be the case after seeing the state of affairs at cannon yesterday on natural snow. consolidate and freeze is the ideal this early in the season. keep in mind it isn't even december yet and we've been pretty lucky so far in the season. this is one last 'back to reality' before the season really kicks off. man made trail counts should definitely drop for next weekend though which is a bummer.

loafer89

I can only imagine what Cascade will be like next weekend, I supose the saftey net on the headwall will see some action.

At least the forecast calls for some light snow next weekend, looks like DOC conditions for next weekend, glad I have to work. :)

Geoff

loafer89 said:
I can only imagine what Cascade will be like next weekend, I supose the saftey net on the headwall will see some action.

At least the forecast calls for some light snow next weekend, looks like DOC conditions for next weekend, glad I have to work. :)

Point of order: "Cascade Headwall" is at the top, not at the bottom where they have the net.

We've booked demo skis for Saturday on the theory that there won't be anything worth skiing so we need some excuse to get out there.

loafer89

Geoff said:
loafer89 said:

Point of order: "Cascade Headwall" is at the top, not at the bottom where they have the net.

We've booked demo skis for Saturday on the theory that there won't be anything worth skiing so we need some excuse to get out there.

I'm sorry the I misnamed the portion of the trail with the net, In my next life I will try to know everything :roll: