• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WARP -- had heart attack /open heart surgery

trtaylor

Glad to hear you're continuing to do well!

My father had a heart attack 4 years ago. No typical symptoms, just didn't feel right. Went to the ER (drove himself) and was stuck in triage waiting hell. Got up to leave and that's when it hit... he dropped dead on the ER floor. He was lucky it happened there. They revived him, put in a stent, and sent him to Hartford Hospital in Life Star (helicopter), where more stents were put in. He was awakened from the drug-induced coma on his 51st birthday.

You're already leagues ahead of where he was when he left the hospital. Keep up with what they tell you to do and you'll be fine. Best wishes!
Strange thing about heart attacks, they don't hit everyone the same. I have a friend whose episode was much like your Dad's. Drove himself to the hospital. Not me.

I was taking a shower and started feeling queasy. Got out, dried off quickly and went to lay down. On way down the hall my arms started tingling and I knew what it was. Called downstairs for my wife to call 911 then went to lay down.That was the last time I was on my feet for the next three days. I wasn't unconscious, but real close. I credit my wife giving me an aspirin right away with probably saving my life.

Hopefully, will never happen again.

ComeBackMudPuddles

part of me is freaked out by this thread. i've got to start taking better care of myself....time to be heart healthy!! not that it'll prevent everything, but why take extra chances?

first up: cutting out NY style cheesecake....i figure that'll give me a few more weeks before having to set up a real exercise regime.

hammer

Strange thing about heart attacks, they don't hit everyone the same. I have a friend whose episode was much like your Dad's. Drove himself to the hospital. Not me.

I was taking a shower and started feeling queasy. Got out, dried off quickly and went to lay down. On way down the hall my arms started tingling and I knew what it was. Called downstairs for my wife to call 911 then went to lay down.That was the last time I was on my feet for the next three days. I wasn't unconscious, but real close. I credit my wife giving me an aspirin right away with probably saving my life.

Hopefully, will never happen again.
Now you have me thinking I should keep some aspirin around the house...I'm only 45 and have no significant risk factors but...

trtaylor

part of me is freaked out by this thread. i've got to start taking better care of myself....time to be heart healthy!! not that it'll prevent everything, but why take extra chances?

first up: cutting out NY style cheesecake....i figure that'll give me a few more weeks before having to set up a real exercise regime.

Now you have me thinking I should keep some aspirin around the house...I'm only 45 and have no significant risk factors but...
Definitely don't mean to be freaking anybody out. In my case, I knew I was at risk, because it runs on my father's side. But, I thought I had a lot more time before it was going to become an issue.

I've changed my diet (some, but still could do more) and try to exercise regularly. Also, trying to lose some weight, but damn, that is hard. Stress is another big risk factor. I'm better at managing it than I used to be. Some days anyway :)

Mildcat

Wow Warp, I'm glad to see that you're doing better. That must have been a frighting experience for you and your family. I don't have to tell you to stay optimistic and keep your chin up, you wrote the book on that. I'm glad to see you have a great family to help and support you. I hope your recovery goes quickly.

And don't listen to these "soft rock" guys, us rockers know that loud distorted guitars keep the heart pumping. ;-)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Warp...as most have said already, Very glad you're on the road to recovery.

It's amazing how when I read a post on here like this...it makes some of our other posts seem ...well... even more trivial than they really are.

It's unfortunate that it takes something like this to really see how lucky we each are in our own rights in our regular (healthy) daily lives. Good luck Warp, may the force be with you and from what you say, your terrific family as well!. :)

Greg

Staff member
Just seeing this now. Didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but just want to wish you well Warp!

playoutside

Warp -- Thanks for the update. Thoughts and prayers for continued good news during your recovery.

This has been an interesting thread with reminders of symptoms and personal experiences shared. Something else everyone should be aware of is that they are learning that women's heart attacks have very different symptoms than men. Women do not normally have chest pain or arm pain. My mom got caught by this Xmas 08 -- she was sent away from the ER with a diagnosis of gout only to return 10 hrs later with a confirmed heart attack. Sure wish they had started controlling the situation during our first trip to the ER.

Below are some stats from a recent study about women's heart attacks. Keep it in mind when your wives, mothers and sisters complain of pain:

The women's major symptoms prior to their heart attack included:
Unusual fatigue - 70%
Sleep disturbance - 48%
Shortness of breath - 42%
Indigestion - 39%
Anxiety - 35%

Major symptoms during the heart attack include:
Shortness of breath - 58%
Weakness - 55%
Unusual fatigue - 43%
Cold sweat - 39%
Dizziness - 39%

When I see this list, it would be so easy to explain away any of these symptoms as something far less significant than a heart attack.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The women's major symptoms prior to their heart attack included:
Unusual fatigue - 70%
Sleep disturbance - 48%
Shortness of breath - 42%
Indigestion - 39%
Anxiety - 35%

Major symptoms during the heart attack include:
Shortness of breath - 58%
Weakness - 55%
Unusual fatigue - 43%
Cold sweat - 39%
Dizziness - 39%

When I see this list, it would be so easy to explain away any of these symptoms as something far less significant than a heart attack.
Exactly. Not to make light of this, but I feel a lot of those symptoms every day just from being worn down as a mom (and having asthma). Very difficult for women to distinguish, from what I understand.

But then again, every person is different. I guess if you're suddenly not feeling right, it's just a good idea to get checked out. You can't be too young. A kid I went to school with died of a heart attack a week or two after our ten-year reunion. He had a previously-undiagnosed hole in his heart. Sadly, he did not make it. He was 28 years old.

Warp Daddy

thanks for all th e great support guys --it means alot !! My son bought me this new laptop .that i'm using n-ow.So i'm mobile can even post from thre throne --scary

Had lots of visitors today and another doc 's visit . All vitals are still strong the heartrate is down 10% from tuesday . tHAT will take time yet but its moving in the right direction. All other vitals are strongand weight is super . Doc/Camp have great rounds for me

To all who shared a comment , concern or anecdote ----------------KNOW that it is much appreciated!!

Cheers
Warp

Warp Daddy

My heart attack and open heart surgury was 3 weeks ago tonite, here's a progress report

Just finished a couple of walks outside 15 minutes total puts me ahead of the recovery rate protocol for bypass surgery , Blood pressure and heartrate is really good now 115/60 with a 69 pulse -- i'm a happy boy

drjeff

My heart attack and open heart surgury was 3 weeks ago tonite, here's a progress report

Just finished a couple of walks outside 15 minutes total puts me ahead of the recovery rate protocol for bypass surgery , Blood pressure and heartrate is really good now 115/60 with a 69 pulse -- i'm a happy boy

Sounds great Warp!!!!

So when you going to start pestering your Doc about being able to pick up the clubs and hit the little round white ball again?? ;) ;) ;)

Warp Daddy

Sounds great Warp!!!!

So when you going to start pestering your Doc about being able to pick up the clubs and hit the little round white ball again?? ;) ;) ;)

Think i'll get specific feed back on that on 8/25/09 consult/evaluation with the cardiac sergury team in SYR.

My local PCP who is linked with these guys say LATE in the year for golf , he wants me to reel back the Adreniline Junky and not ski in the fall line this season ( afraid of falling on sternum) ski blues and greens ,

He's on the board with me and we're good friends i told him that he's my medical guru NOT my mental health advisor --LMAO

Bsides which i fraken LUV speed and u know them damn Atomics run a helluva lot better @ WARP speed

wa-loaf

Think i'll get specific feed back on that on 8/25/09 consult/evaluation with the cardiac sergury team in SYR.

My local PCP who is linked with these guys say LATE in the year for golf , he wants me to reel back the Adreniline Junky and not ski in the fall line this season ( afraid of falling on sternum) ski blues and greens ,

He's on the board with me and we're good friends i told him that he's my medical guru NOT my mental health advisor --LMAO

Bsides which i fraken LUV speed and u know them damn Atomics run a helluva lot better @ WARP speed

I think you are good to go:
eqply-nbauer-one95-shoulder.jpg

Trekchick

yahoo.gif

Sounds great Warp!!!!

I was wondering the same thing.

Where's the line between doing what you need to keep your mental and physical health up to speed, without pushing your luck?

I have a feeling that you'll find that line and stick your toe just over the edge .......:beer: