• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WARP -- had heart attack /open heart surgery

Warp Daddy

Why we 've been out of touch i had a major heart attack 7/12/09 after finishing the first 9 holes I had a good round going a plus 5. then damn birdie on 8 and par on 9 . then it started a right side muscle fatigue and sweating

I decided to leave and drive home . I made it 10 miles on back road with 12 to go so pulled over and had to call 911 then was evacuated to Syracuse for open heart .
they did a open heart triple bypass using my femoral artery from the lower leg section ( BEST POSSIBLE FIX) better than stints I am still dealing with a hi pulse rate howver which is concernening ,

I had NO HEART muscle damage DUE faST EXPERT team of cardiac surgeons and wonderful compassionationate caregivers and FORTUNATELY due to my conditioning level survived with no damage to heart muscle . I walk 18 holes and you all know how i work out, walk 3/4 miles /day been eating low fat for 20 + yrs, biking, sking etx-- go figure------------my friends and family were shocked.

I left ST Joes Sunday and have a 4 month recovery ahead of me --but GOD WAS MY CO_PILOT and a the family ralleied from across the NE USA to SYR and a had a Caregiver's Computer network setup linking many folks into daily updates and text and emailing

I am the most fortunate person on God's earth today and am changed by this experience

While i am still experiencing an elevated hear t rate they are trying to control it via some new meds .

MY docs are AMAZED i HAD PRISTINE HEART FUNCTION when undergoing routine heart cath and EKG 4 years ago I had ZERO blockages then I also low BP and cholesterol and ACTIVE lifestyle _SO THIS IS A BAFFLING case which is possiblly related to a side effect we'll see

I hope i can ski again

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
OMG Warp...I had noticed you weren't posting up much, but I just figured you were enjoying some with your family.

I'm relieved to hear that you had no damage to your heart muscle. Four months recovery should put you just in time to get some turns around Thanksgiving (how ironic, as it would seem you have much to be thankful for this year).

Speedy recovery, hope to meet up with you on the slopes this season.

Dr Skimeister

Wow, Warp....
I'm glad that things worked out well after your heart attack. I can't imagine the thoughts that must have been racing through your mind as you went through this.
Continued good thoughts to you and a full and speedy recovery.
You might have to lay off the heavy metal stuff for a while and stick to spacey David Crosby music. :)

playoutside

So shocked to read this. Thanks for the update. I've missed your kind and sane comments on AZ. Relieved that you were able to get quick, good care and family support. No heart damage from something like this is so wonderful and fortunate. Best of luck with your journey to full recovery. Don't let the inevitable frustrations during healing defeat you -- doubt they would since you always have such a great attitude. Be well, take it slow, be patient and enjoy the time to make everyone wait on you hand and foot!

Just last night I was thinking I hadn't seen you on line and I thought " I hope he hasn't had a heart attack" .. Strange a thought should come to me that you had a heart attack .. A speedy recovery for you my friend.
I keep asking the Doc during my annual physical when he is going to stress test me but he doesn't seem interested much that I need one. Maybe I should push harder this time.
I always wonder if I will realize that one is happening if I should ever have one.
Get well at your pace. You still have a lot of life left ahead of you.

Last edited:

drjeff

WOW!!! Thank God Warp that the care you received and the docs you had was excellent!! Glad to hear that your doing well, and I'd bet that you'll be both on the golf course and on the ski hill in no time, and I'd bet with a brand new appreciation for what you've told many of us around here to do, "live life to its fullest!"

campgottagopee

Warp, DANG!!! Soooooo glad to hear you came thru in great shape---thank God "things" happened the way they did. I'm sure you've "what if'd" yourself crazy, but hey pal worked out just fine. You can still work on your putting and 4 months puts you back on the hill and screaming for our Orange!!!!

Puck it

Get well fast and hope to hear some trip reports form the slopes this year. You should buy Titus for the $2M that it is going.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm happy to hear that you didn't have any heart damage. It must have been an incredibly scary thing to go through. I hope you have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

WJenness

Wow! I'm sorry that it happened to you, but I'm very glad you pulled through... Here's to a speedy recovery, and I know your family will take great care of you.

-w

+++++VIBES+++++

Holy crap..feel grateful that we live in modern society..with access to excellent healthcare..

gorgonzola

wow, some scaaaary shit! glad to hear your doing well and a speedy and complete recovery to ya. second story like this i've heard like this in two weeks, unfortunatley the other one was not as lucky... if you don't mind - how old are you?