• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nordica 2009/2010

madskier6

I'm a big fan of Nordica - both skis & boots. I have the Speedmachine 10 boots & the Afterburner (07-08 model) skis. I really like them.

Last season I demoed the Helldivers at Gore in early December & really, really liked them. I would have bought them if they weren't $1,000 at the time. Instead I bought the Afterburners for $350. Couldn't pass that deal up.

HPD: Are there any changes this year to the Helldiver (CA) from last year's model other than graphics?

highpeaksdrifter

I'm a big fan of Nordica - both skis & boots. I have the Speedmachine 10 boots & the Afterburner (07-08 model) skis. I really like them.

Last season I demoed the Helldivers at Gore in early December & really, really liked them. I would have bought them if they weren't $1,000 at the time. Instead I bought the Afterburners for $350. Couldn't pass that deal up.

HPD: Are there any changes this year to the Helldiver (CA) from last year's model other than graphics?

As far as I know they are the same ski. Mad, ru going to make it back to WF this coming season? Lookout Mt. opened last year, this year the new glades will be open. More for you to explore. :spread:

madskier6

As far as I know they are the same ski. Mad, ru going to make it back to WF this coming season? Lookout Mt. opened last year, this year the new glades will be open. More for you to explore. :spread:

WF is definitely on my list of places to hit again this season. I would love to explore Lookout. The pics of that area you guys posted over at SkiADK looked great. WF is a great mountain!

bvibert

Staff member
I totally stumbled upon it by accident. I went skiing one day after work, got to Blue and saw the Nordica demo tent set up and a Subie on the snow.

It wasn't even on Blue's website :(

I ran across a Nordica demo at Sundown the same way a few years back. No announcement that I heard about, nothing on any website, they were just there. It was on a beer league race night, I think they were really there for the racers, but I took a few pairs of skis out to try.

madskier6

Great, be sure to let me know when you're coming. Try to make it a 3 day weekend this time, a day and a half ain't enough.

Sounds good. I want to explore some of the glades I wasn't able to hit plus all the new Lookout terrain. Not to mention the Slides, if possible.

trtaylor

Would love to see a little more volume over the instep(forefoot=easy personal fix)...And...would love to see a more narrow cuff!:roll:...or should I make that= more dense liner, especially with a super dense & thick cuff portion.
There was some brand of boot that I tried on over in NH @Rogers one Spring...just a terrific tongue & cuff...super dense and super thick. Like..Why the h*** aren't <SOME> liners made like that anymore!!???

$.01...my Annual skiboot rant..:lol: (At least my Endorphins are so tweakable...will be looking at the Lange SuperBlaster real close though..)

STeveD
I'm not familiar with the SpeedMachine 10's, but the instep area was a whisker too tight on my Dobermann's. The Dobie tongue has some thick plastic on it, so I cut a "window" to give me some relief. Then I lowered the bootboard a touch. Have to be careful with that, though. Too much wouldn't be a good thing.

The other thing with the Dobie, the liner takes a while to pack out. So takes a number of days in the boot before it really starts to feel comfy. Again, I don't know the SM10, but if you make a Dobie comfortable right out of the box, it's going to be too big in 20 days.

highpeaksdrifter

I'm not familiar with the SpeedMachine 10's, but the instep area was a whisker too tight on my Dobermann's. The Dobie tongue has some thick plastic on it, so I cut a "window" to give me some relief. Then I lowered the bootboard a touch. Have to be careful with that, though. Too much wouldn't be a good thing.

The other thing with the Dobie, the liner takes a while to pack out. So takes a number of days in the boot before it really starts to feel comfy. Again, I don't know the SM10, but if you make a Dobie comfortable right out of the box, it's going to be too big in 20 days.

true dat, Dobbies are not made to ski right out of the box. IMHO, still the best boot made. I skied them for years, switched to the Blowers 2 seasons ago since the volume/last (the Pros not the Aggresors) are pretty much the same. My thinking was the liner would be a little thicker and more confortable and they came with the Booster strap.

For performance I don't think you can beat a Dobie.

trtaylor

true dat, Dobbies are not made to ski right out of the box. IMHO, still the best boot made. I skied them for years, switched to the Blowers 2 seasons ago since the volume/last (the Pros not the Aggresors) are pretty much the same. My thinking was the liner would be a little thicker and more confortable and they came with the Booster strap.

For performance I don't think you can beat a Dobie.
Skip,

What info do you have on the new Dobermann boot line for this year? I see they now have a 120 flex boot in red. Wonder if that wouldn't be equivalent to the old Hot Rods?

Philpug

I have had great success fitting the Sport and Speedmachines last season, this year we cut down on the Sportmachines and added the Hot Rod 75 and 85 with the "Man Fur". We did OK with the Overdrive and Nitrous from last season but expect to do well with the previously mentioned flat HR series. IF anyone wants, I do have one pair of 08-09 Nitrous 170's left, $490.00 shipped.

bigbog

Think that was the right fix trtaylor! After packing out the "10" liner, I had one ordered from Nordica...and fwiw(to all)...they sent me the "14" liner....it was a terrific step up. Think I know with what soft-density-kayaking-foam to line the lower cuff with to produce that snug fit. (For anyone who has the same issue) = works great!!
*Nordica's skis have a nice "all-terrain" feel to their shovels..for me...fwiw, not too soft..like a few Salomons, not too dense...like a few Heads and Volkls.

$.01
STeveD

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Speedmachine 14 boots and Jet Fuel skis here. Very tempted to try the Helldivers.

highpeaksdrifter

Skip,

What info do you have on the new Dobermann boot line for this year? I see they now have a 120 flex boot in red. Wonder if that wouldn't be equivalent to the old Hot Rods?

Yeah, the Dobie Spitfire. As of last season people couldn't buy the Spitfire ski in a shop in the USA, but you could in Canada and Europe. That was a Nordica business decission. That might be true of the boot this season too, but I don't know yet. When I do I'll be sure to post it.

I was told last year that the NSF (Natural Foot Stance) feature where the toe box is angled slightly won't be in this years boot line.

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I ran across a Nordica demo at Sundown the same way a few years back. No announcement that I heard about, nothing on any website, they were just there. It was on a beer league race night, I think they were really there for the racers, but I took a few pairs of skis out to try.

Come to think of it...it might have been beer league race night at Blue as well. :idea:

Glenn

Gawd damn current year gear is spendy! I buy most of my stuff new...but a season or two old.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I actually like last years top sheet graphics better.

08/09 Hot Rod Jet Fuel
HotRodJetFuel.jpg

09/10 Hot Rod Jet Fuel
hr_pro_jet_fuel_ti.jpg

I'm sure that will change once I see them up close and personal :smile:

Glenn

They abreviated "Hotrod"....strange. Now it says "HR". Lovely, a ski that reminds me of work. :razz: