• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

White Memorial RAW - 7/24/09

bvibert

Staff member
Quick hitter tonight. I was able to get away last minute, but I didn't get on the bike until about 7pm. I packed the headlight just in case I got ambitious, but I wouldn't need it. White Memorial usually drains pretty well, since it's mostly gravel roads, but tonight was the wettest that I've seen it. I'm glad I stuck with my decision to ride there versus Nass. I ended up cutting the initial out and back part of my ride short due to the wetness, the part I skipped normally takes awhile to dry, so I figured tonight it would be a real mess. I went back up and crossed 63 to find even more wetness where it's normally dry. I decided to loop back on the white trail instead of heading over towards the museum, since that would have meant going through the marshy area on the way back. I crossed 63 again down the road so that I could climb up from the beaver pond. On the way up that hill I decided to go back and do a short loop around the area I started in so that I could get in it's climb again and head home.

All in all I rode for about 1:15 and covered 8.1 miles. I did learn something tonight; I've been relying on my granny ring too much this season. At some point early on I convinced myself that I needed to use it more. Tonight, after the first climb, I decided to try not to use the granny for the rest of the ride. That's why I went back for the first big climb; so I could do it again without the silly granny. It felt great to be able to power up the climbs without the granny clutch!

Greg

Staff member
Nice Brian. I haven't used the granny much at all this season. Watching that dude at Penwood (his username and real name escape me) on the single speed was encouraging. He would just stand at times and smoothly spin.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm far from a smooth spinner in any gear, but I'm getting there. It was amazing watching that guy (I bike alone??) rip on the SS!