• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

need help/rec for challenging northeast hike!

tujumbo13

i just finished the presidential traverse (Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Washington, Monroe, Franklin, Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson, Webster) with a few friends. We ended up doing it in just over 12 hours, not spending a night on the trail as we had planned. We are now looking for a hike of about the same difficulty, possibly more difficult, requiring 2-3 days, somewhere in the northeast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

skibum9995

The Pemi Loop and the Grafton Loop are both options for a 2-3 day hike. The Grafton Loop is the more difficult of the two, but offers some great hiking without the huge crowds.

dropKickMurphy

The classic 3-4 day loop in Baxter would be to start at Roaring Brook and spend a night each at Russell Pond, Davis Pond, and Chimney Pond. If you have a couple more days, add a night at
Wassataquiok Lake (Island) and a second night at Chimney.

That gives you a chance to leave the pack at your Chimney Pond site and spend a day doing Knife Edge>Baxter Peak>Hamlin Ridge with a daypack.

If you're at Russell, a side trip to Wassataquoik Lake is a must. To see it at its best, paddle a canoe around it. Go ashore, and walk up to Greene Falls. Also, if you follow the trail toward Little Wassataquoik, a side trail leads up to a knoll overlooking the lake....an absolutely spectacular view.

The problem is getting reservations. The Davis Pond and Wassataquoik Island sites are very hard to get. You need good timing and luck to get them. You're best off to have a second and third choice when you send the request. If you don't get your first choice, you're bound to have a great time anyway, the entire Park is beautiful.

bigbog

When heading eastward on #2 from Maine..into NH I always see faces that I'd love to try to ski before being read my last rites... Those ascents in winter are true challenges...but right now they're ~100mi from my house = not everyday events....:-x

dropKickMurphy

When heading eastward on #2 from Maine..into NH I always see faces that I'd love to try to ski before being read my last rites... Those ascents in winter are true challenges...but right now they're ~100mi from my house = not everyday events....:-x

Speaking of ski related hikes....

Did a Saddleback to Sugarloaf trip last fall. Climbed Saddleback via ski trails. Followed AT from summit until we reached cutoff for Sugarloaf summit. Descended SL on ski trails.

This is a terrific 3 day trip, staying at Poplar Ridge and Spaulding lean-tos. A good amount of vertical a well as above treeline hiking.