• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WH Rez - 7/27/9

Trev

Ok, where to start.. rain? mud? flowing rivers?

Game on, the ride started a few minutes after 6pm tonight, in the rain. I am still baffled at why people were under trees trying to stay dry while it was raining and the group was getting ready to roll out.. I am still a bit fuzzy on that one..

We rode out of Talcott Plaza .. to West Hartford Mud Pit in the pouring rain... I am ok with that :)

Anyhow, not much to say here that hasn't been said. The place doesn't drain well, or at all from the looks of it. A few guys who are apparently regulars up at the Rez claim it was the worst they have ever seen it.

From my point of view.. it was a bit spooky riding. Given I had a lot of trouble with slippage early this season I was a bit shy on pushing over certain terrain.. that changed by the middle of the ride.

My confidence levels are climbing in the wet.. I slipped a bit sure.. but I am able to stay upright.. keep the bike from flying out from under me.. it's pretty kewl. I fell over once tonight due to slippery ledge rock.. that was early on.. and a slow motion fall that twisted my right ankle a bit, but 5 minutes in I forgot all about it.

Anyhow.. I found a group of 4 other riders that I hung with. Good guys who explained to me that they are step below the fast group.. but they don't mind playing on climbs.. waiting for each other and helping out/waiting for flat repairs. -- I found my Monday night gang to ride with :) good stuffage.

Prior to those guys I was basically riding solo.. between a couple of groups. I kept catching up to the above 4 guys and then falling back.. stuck with them once I joined them...

Like last week, I found myself doing some terrain that I might not have done 3 weeks ago.. Some simply, very wet and slippery downhills that I was going pretty fast on(for me at least).. couple up and overs.. rollers.. small drops.. some edgy stuff especially given the conditions out there tonight.

Climbing.. I am definitely learning some tricks/techniques to steep climbs.. and keeping traction.. there seems to be a sweet spot.. for both positions and gears. I used to think Granny it up and go.. then I would slip out.. but seems to be an issue in too low of a gear with slippage.. perhaps combined with my previously very poor saddle position.. anyhow.. went up some stuff I had really thought I would slip out on.. no slippage.. good stuff... learning continues.

I didn't like the conditions, the ride over all however, was decent. Decent again, because I am skilling up a bit.. getting better... meeting new folks to ride with... but I would chose to ride elsewhere given those same conditions again.

I have not been this muddy since I was a kid.

Special sighting of the night -> Man OTB into river. You can laugh neither he or his bike are hurt.. it was a site to see.. cleaned his bike off at least.

Last edited: