• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Papi on the Juice??????

thetrailboss

Staff member

HD333

Well, looks like him and Manny were in 2003.

http://burlingtonfreepress.com/arti...ed-positive-in--03&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

[sigh]

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/07/report_ortiz_ra.html

Although the report came from the 'Times, so I am waiting for conspiracy theories involving a Yankee reporter fabricating the story. :wink:

Times owns a stake of the Sox so no "Yankee Conspiracy".

Had to see that one coming with his lack of production.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Had to see that one coming with his lack of production.

I was just reflecting on his history, and wasn't he a no-name hitter before coming to the Sox and was coming off of an injury? I thought his rise was amazing as well....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep, he was not really stellar with the Twins and then overnight became something:

From Wikipedia:

Despite showing flashes of talent, Ortiz' time with the Twins will be remembered as a series of injuries and inconsistency both in the field and at the plate. Ortiz suffered wrist injuries in both 1998 and 2001. When knee problems hit in early 2002 and plagued him throughout the season, his fate with the Twins was sealed despite hitting 32 doubles, 20 homers and 75 RBIs, in only 125 games. In six seasons with the Twins, Ortiz hit 58 homers.

JimG.

Staff member
This has nothing to do with the Yankees.

Let's face it...the most productive players from the period 1995 to 2005 were all juiced.

It's just easier to say that than try to pick out the ones who didn't cheat.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Let's face it...the most productive players from the period 1995 to 2005 were all juiced.

Sad but true.

ctenidae

Maybe the new rule should be everyone takes steroids, or else you get a fine. Imagine, all the players hanging out in the locker room, hoping and praying the test doesn't come back negative.

Maybe Ortiz was on doctor-prescribed steroids for his joint pain. Probably not, but maybe.

ComeBackMudPuddles

all those poor old red sox fans wishing to see the sox win one during their lifetime.....will have to keep on waiting!!! sorry, grandpa. i love it. 2004 & 2007. what a fraud.

Philpug

If I was a player back then I am sure that if I saw others using them, I would have used them too. there was just too much at stake. I don't blame the players for taking the drugs, I blame Selig and the powers that be of MLB for letting this happen because they too were profiting from the use.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I was a player back then I am sure that if I saw others using them, I would have used them too. there was just too much at stake. I don't blame the players for taking the drugs, I blame Selig and the powers that be of MLB for letting this happen because they too were profiting from the use.

Agreed. To be honest, I think Selig is a bigger scumbag than Pete Rose. Selig absolutely knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it.

I know I'd be tempted to use the drugs as well. Most people's integrity has a price. If you make it in the MLB as just a utility player for ten seasons, you'll earn enough for a very handsome retirement and if invested wisely a significant financial legacy for your family. Such players make 500K - 2-3 mil a season.

Steroids will take that utility player and turn them into a starter making 5 million a year.

Steroids will take someone with a starters talent and possibly turn them into a superstar making 12-15 million a year.

You start getting into a ten year career making in the 5 to 15 million range and your talking about being able to financially take care of a good portion of an extended family. That's tempting for a lot of people who have the strong 'financial provider' gene.

4aprice

I found it interesting that Ortiz does not know what he was injected with. The players union has the results and has not released them to the puplic yet. It brings up the prospect that any player coming off an injury may have been jucied without knowing it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

tjf67

It was not banned until 2003 so lets not forget it. I would use juice it I were at that level and It was legal to use.

2knees

all those poor old red sox fans wishing to see the sox win one during their lifetime.....will have to keep on waiting!!! sorry, grandpa. i love it. 2004 & 2007. what a fraud.

lol, and not one yankee on the 96, 98,99 or 2000 team could have possibly used steroids. Not Scott Brosius especially. I mean his career was miraculously saved from the garbage heap by hard work and dedication, nothing else.....

RAAAAHHHHGGGGAAAAHHHHH

Andy "i only used it once, i swear" Pettitte.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JimG.

Staff member
It was not banned until 2003 so lets not forget it. I would use juice it I were at that level and It was legal to use.

Wow, talk about splitting hairs.

And it was not banned by BASEBALL until 2003...anabolic steroids have been illegal to use without a doctor's prescription for decades.

Players who used that stuff cheated. That includes any Yankees who did.

I have become increasingly unwilling to even care about baseball anymore.

ComeBackMudPuddles

lol, and not one yankee on the 96, 98,99 or 2000 team could have possibly used steroids. Not Scott Brosius especially. I mean his career was miraculously saved from the garbage heap by hard work and dedication, nothing else.....

RAAAAHHHHGGGGAAAAHHHHH

Andy "i only used it once, i swear" Pettitte.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you can't possibly be comparing big papi and manny to scott brosius....lol. gimme a break.

steroid use was rampant, yes. my point is just that all that painful BS about how people's lives were fulfilled in october 2004 'cause the sox won, and how it was so so so sad that grandpa so-and-so didn't live to see the day his beloved sox win, looks ridiculous and pathetic now. the so-called modern-day ruth and gehrig were on steroids, and the two world championships are forever tainted.

2knees

you can't possibly be comparing big papi and manny to scott brosius....lol. gimme a break.

steroid use was rampant, yes. my point is just that all that painful BS about how people's lives were fulfilled in october 2004 'cause the sox won, and how it was so so so sad that grandpa so-and-so didn't live to see the day his beloved sox win, looks ridiculous and pathetic now. the so-called modern-day ruth and gehrig were on steroids, and the two world championships are forever tainted.

as is every title for every team from the the 1995 season through 2003, at the very least. All tainted. Because the sox hadnt won in 86 years it somehow makes it worse? Only a yankee fan could come up with that logic. the yankee run was fueled by roids and coke. You should be ashamed to call yourself a fan.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member

That sounds alot like NY Rangers fans before 1994.

Who knows what kind of havoc steroids wreak(ed) on hockey

Geoff

Wow, talk about splitting hairs.

And it was not banned by BASEBALL until 2003...anabolic steroids have been illegal to use without a doctor's prescription for decades.

Players who used that stuff cheated. That includes any Yankees who did.

I have become increasingly unwilling to even care about baseball anymore.

That is completely false.

You could buy Andro (androstenedione) and DHEA over the counter in a GNC back in 2003. Mark McGwire had both in his locker during his home run streak. That stuff wasn't banned by the FDA until February 2005.

The thing I don't quite understand is how only 104 players tested positive back then. Over the counter steroids were legal. MLB wasn't controlling it. If nothing else, they sped up your recovery time. I figure everybody in baseball was doing speed for 40 years and they were doing sterioids for the last 20.