• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cape Cod - I don't get it

drjeff

what's the big deal getting on and off the cape? Just take the tunnel, its always empty.

:lol:

One of these days, once my kids are a little bigger and won't mind getting tossed around as much in my father in laws 22' Grady White, I'm 99% sure as a way to beat the bridge traffic, that I'm going to take the Ferry out of either New Bedford or Quonset Point on over to the Vineyard and then have my F-I-L come pick us up and bring us over to the Cape!

On second thought, if I'm going to get onboard a ferry boat, I'd rather just head over to Block Island instead! :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Block Island

now there is a place calling for my return. However, I've only been in September. Not sure what it's like in the summer.

drjeff

Block Island

now there is a place calling for my return. However, I've only been in September. Not sure what it's like in the summer.

It has it's "Cape" moments, but since you CAN'T directly drive there, the quantity/percentage of a-holes when compared to the Cape is IMHO much lower!

Just can't beat sitting on the front porch of ANY of the hotels in Old Harbor with a cold beverage waiting for the Ferry. That to me atleast is one of the quientessential summer experiences that every should experience at some point!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
deadheadskier, I truly find this post funny, and please don't take that the wrong way. I find it funny because of the reasons I go there:

1. I go to get away from the mobs, try the Jersey shore sometime
  2. I go for the solitude of empty beaches, I stick to the lower cape, Truro/Provincetown(could never understand why it's refered to as the lower cape)
  3. Go for the great biking, nothing like it. And by doing so, you avoid the traffic and mobs
  4. I did learn my lesson about traffic going to and from the cape about 30 years ago, as a result, I never travel when others do.
  5. I go for beach, biking, the quaintness, lobsters. I camp out and drive onto the beach, my bar is the beach at night in front of a campfire with friends.

It's called the lower cape... or was, because it's the direction of decreasing orders of longitude, so back in the days when sailing was the main method of transport, sailing to the east was traveling down longitude, hence the "lower" moniker. Also why, while one travels northeast to get to eastern Maine, it's called "down east."

Of course I've also heard it's because the prevailing winds are out of the west, so sailing to lower orders of longitude also means sailing downwind, but I think that theory has less merit.

Then all the rich, uppity types moved to the lower cape, and decided they didn't like that term and started calling it the "outer cape." Upturned nose types.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks DHS, you just reminded me of one of the reasons I haven't been there in years.

The few times that I went we would leave at like 1am just to beat the traffic getting onto the cape. That worked well enough, but we'd still have to deal with the traffic while we were on the cape. heading back home was usually a mess...
Some funny stories about those travels, though. :) It helped that we never stayed for a full week so we were leaving at off-times and didn't have to worry about traffic on the way back.

Still, I have a hankering to go back again sometime soon....
Me, too.

Block Island

That's somewhere I'd really like to go.

Puck it

I do not get the whole love affair with the beach. My wife loves the ocean and I love the mountains. The second house is a big argument.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It's called the lower cape... or was, because it's the direction of decreasing orders of longitude, so back in the days when sailing was the main method of transport, sailing to the east was traveling down longitude, hence the "lower" moniker. Also why, while one travels northeast to get to eastern Maine, it's called "down east."

Of course I've also heard it's because the prevailing winds are out of the west, so sailing to lower orders of longitude also means sailing downwind, but I think that theory has less merit.

Then all the rich, uppity types moved to the lower cape, and decided they didn't like that term and started calling it the "outer cape." Upturned nose types.

Thanks! One less thing in life for me to worry about.

bvibert

Staff member
I do not get the whole love affair with the beach.

Me either. If I go to the beach once every couple of years I'm happy. I'd rather be doing something, anything, than sitting around in the direct sunlight all day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Doing stuff at the beach/on the ocean I get. Surfing, volleyball, boating, etc., understandable. It's the lying in the sun not doing anything that confounds me.

There are worse places to take a nap.

I personally don't do much of the lying in the sun thing, but that's a complexion related decision for the most part.

2knees

is that a joke?

Its no joke son. You have to buy a permit, but its worth it if you travel there frequently on weekends and holidays.

cape_cod_tunnel_permit.gif

drjeff

Its no joke son. You have to buy a permit, but its worth it if you travel there frequently on weekends and holidays.

cape_cod_tunnel_permit.gif

And those suckers are almost as coveted on the cape as rainbow indigo girls stickers in p-town!

ERJ-145CA

I do not get the whole love affair with the beach. My wife loves the ocean and I love the mountains. The second house is a big argument.

My home is already in the mountains, or what we call mountains in NJ, so if we ever get a second house it will be at the beach. My wife really wants a beach house.

When I think of the Cape..I think of Preppy people in Seersuckers...but it's a shame it's being replaced by Nascar fans in mesh shirts!!!

drjeff

When I think of the Cape..I think of Preppy people in Seersuckers...but it's a shame it's being replaced by Nascar fans in mesh shirts!!!

'Ya want preppy with seersuckers GSS, either don't stray too far from Hyannis or head offshore to either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket!

'Ya want preppy with seersuckers GSS, either don't stray too far from Hyannis or head offshore to either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket!

That's actually what New Englans..at least southern New England reminds me of..people who wear a button downed shirt on the weekends..here in PA it's all slobs in wifebeaters and cutoff jean shorts..