• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cape Cod - I don't get it

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've never understood the no booze thing. Florida you can drink all you want at the beach. Up here you gotta red cup it.

tarponhead

Time and place, people......time and place. We spent the weekend before last on the cape, and it was delightful. Drove out on Friday morning (4 hour + drive, arrived at the Bourne Bridge a little after 2:00 pm) and didn't spend more than 15 minutes in bridge/rotary traffic, and then had minor slow downs on the mid-Cape highway out to Chatham. Had we left earlier (as desired) it would have been less traffic. Came back on Monday morning, lost maybe 20 minutes due to bridge/rotary traffic. All in all, not bad traffic, and easy to put up with for the beauty the Cape offers. We stayed in Chatham, and had no, none, zip traffic issues around town. People complain about parking, but never had a problem finding a spot in town, and parking is free. Crowds in town weren't bad either. Sure, 6 was a little slow in spots Saturday on the way up to the Provincelands, but again, the beauty was worth the minor inconvenience. Bottom line is, the people who talk about the traffic and crowds are going to the wrong places and travelling at the wrong times. Anybody who cares to spent 5 minutes figuring it out knows you don't travel out to the Cape after about 2 pm to 9 pm on a Friday, or anytime between 9 am and 4 pm on Saturday, and you don't travel off the Cape between 2 pm and 9 pm on Sunday. That ain't that hard to figure out.

So, for what little traffic issues and crowds we had to put up with, what did we get? Spent Saturday biking and beaching. Hit the National Seashore Trail at the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham, took the bike trail out to Coast Guard Beach. Wonderful paved bike path through beach forest and over marshland, out to a gorgeous beach. Wonderful scenery, wonderful beach. From there is was up to Provincetown. As stated previously, some minor traffic headed up 6, but it didn't cost us more than 20 minutes. A quick visit to town for lunch found it to be crowded.....but that is what you go to Provincetown for....to people watch. After lunch it was over to the Province Lands Visitor center and the Provincelands bike trail system. Absolutely stunning. Where else can you navigate paved trails through the heart of an extensive dune landscape, through shady beach forest, and out to some of the most scenic beach areas on the east coast? Nowhere, that's your answer. Sunday we spent around the Chatham area beaches. No horrible crowds. Parking is steep for the public beaches that have it, but what the hey. Biggest inconvenience is the fact that there is no parking nearby if you want to visit Chatham Light beach, but boy is it gorgeous out there.

Great beaches, great biking, quaint towns full of NE charm, super cheap, super nice sweatshirts at Cuffy's, scenic inlets for exploring and crabbing....and likely so much more. That's why they come. The only thing I don't get is why they do it on Friday night, Saturday morning, or anytime on Sunday.

Add a trip up Fort Hill Road to hike/view Nauset inlet. Awesome.......

ccskier

Where is this tunnel??? What is the toll?

It is two fold, you get a tunnel permit and a permit for the nude beach. Both should be plastered on your Nissan Quest minivan with New York plates. It is best to put them right next to the this car climbed mt. washington, the black euro sticker for vt and my student is an honor roll student at sh!t d!ck high school.

2knees

It is two fold, you get a tunnel permit and a permit for the nude beach. Both should be plastered on your Nissan Quest minivan with New York plates. It is best to put them right next to the this car climbed mt. washington, the black euro sticker for vt and my student is an honor roll student at sh!t d!ck high school.

:lol:

awesome!

dmc

Cape Cod is in Mass... right? Massachusetts... huh...

ahahahaha..you should have a video blog!!!:daffy:

Geoff

I grew up 20 miles from the canal on the east end of Buzzards Bay. I played high school sports against Falmouth, Dennis-Yarmouth, Barnstable... As a kid, I pretty much never went on the Cape in the summer. It's 18 miles to Woods Hole by boat and, most summers, that was the only place where I ever touched land. I lived in Chatham for a year back in 1986. I don't quite understand why someone would subject themselves to that mayhem as a weekender. If you live there, can live your life midweek, and avoid going anywhere on weekends when the masses show up, it's fine. I grew up in a waterfront town with no hotels and no public beaches. If you don't live there or own a vacation home there, you have zero access to the water. It keeps things sane. I belonged to a private beach for many years where you could throw a frisbee on the beach on the 4th of July and not hit anybody.

I have a party to hit in Falmouth in a couple of weekends. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to work it. I guess I'll drive down on Thursday, dump my car, and go visit friends on the Vineyard until Saturday. I can't imagine doing a Friday night or Saturday morning Cape drive.