• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cape Cod - I don't get it

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got back this morning from spending a Saturday/night on Cape Cod. Every time I go, I return home with the same thought. "Why do people come here in droves and rave about the place"

Background:

I went to the Cape several times as a kid. I lived on the Cape for two seasons working in restaurants. I like the Cape; it's quaint, has lots of history and the beaches are great.

What I don't get is why: People will sit in RIDICULOUS traffic to get out there. Then when you do get out there, everywhere is mobbed with people. Yes I'm aware there are pockets of solitude here and there, but it's still pretty crazy everywhere and you better know the back roads to get around Bars out there are alright, but I always feel a total southie masshole testosterone overload around me and the $10 crappy well drinks amaze me to boot.

I did have a great time. The water was wonderful, the company great, perfect summer weather. That said, I still just don't get why SO MANY people go there because when I want to take a vacation, I generally don't want to be where SO MANY people are. Even when I lived down there, I'd take off on the weekends and only really enjoyed the Cape during the month of September.

After 33 years of which over a year of my times has been spent on the Cape, I still don't get it.

/rant

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Same with the Jersey Shore...if I go, I'm on the road by 7:30 and out by 2, otherwise the traffic is INCREDIBLE!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh and the Lobstah's down there were $8/lb. Only $4/lb down the street from me :grin:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Got back this morning from spending a Saturday/night on Cape Cod. Every time I go, I return home with the same thought. "Why do people come here in droves and rave about the place"

Background:

I went to the Cape several times as a kid. I lived on the Cape for two seasons working in restaurants. I like the Cape; it's quaint, has lots of history and the beaches are great.

What I don't get is why: People will sit in RIDICULOUS traffic to get out there. Then when you do get out there, everywhere is mobbed with people. Yes I'm aware there are pockets of solitude here and there, but it's still pretty crazy everywhere and you better know the back roads to get around Bars out there are alright, but I always feel a total southie masshole testosterone overload around me and the $10 crappy well drinks amaze me to boot.

I did have a great time. The water was wonderful, the company great, perfect summer weather. That said, I still just don't get why SO MANY people go there because when I want to take a vacation, I generally don't want to be where SO MANY people are. Even when I lived down there, I'd take off on the weekends and only really enjoyed the Cape during the month of September.

After 33 years of which over a year of my times has been spent on the Cape, I still don't get it.

/rant

deadheadskier, I truly find this post funny, and please don't take that the wrong way. I find it funny because of the reasons I go there:

1. I go to get away from the mobs, try the Jersey shore sometime
  2. I go for the solitude of empty beaches, I stick to the lower cape, Truro/Provincetown(could never understand why it's refered to as the lower cape)
  3. Go for the great biking, nothing like it. And by doing so, you avoid the traffic and mobs
  4. I did learn my lesson about traffic going to and from the cape about 30 years ago, as a result, I never travel when others do.
  5. I go for beach, biking, the quaintness, lobsters. I camp out and drive onto the beach, my bar is the beach at night in front of a campfire with friends.

deadheadskier

Staff member
deadheadskier, I truly find this post funny, and please don't take that the wrong way. I find it funny because of the reasons I go there:

2. I go for the solitude of empty beaches, I stick to the lower cape, Truro/Provincetown(could never understand why it's refered to as the lower cape)
  3. Go for the great biking, nothing like it. And by doing so, you avoid the traffic and mobs
  4. I did learn my lesson about traffic going to and from the cape about 30 years ago, as a result, I never travel when others do.
  5. I go for beach, biking, the quaintness, lobsters. I camp out and drive onto the beach, my bar is the beach at night in front of a campfire with friends.

I'm aware of that there are ways to 'get away' on the Cape. I guess it always seems to me that due to scheduling, I'm stuck doing what 'normal' people do. That's what I don't 'get'. I don't get what the 'normal' people do and rave about.

There are numerous great beaches on the north and south shore of Mass that involve far less hassle. I don't 'get' why people drive on by such places to throw themselves in the vacation mosh pit.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Fess up AndyZee...you can be found handing out in Seaside Heights most weekends between June and September:dunce:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Fess up AndyZee...you can be found handing out in Seaside Heights most weekends between June and September:dunce:

The last time I was at seaside was about 25 yrs ago and that was only on a bike ride. I stopped on the boardwalk, rested a bit and then started biking back, never like that place. The few beaches in NJ I have liked are Sandy Hook, Point Pleasant and Wildwood. And even that I don't bother with any more.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Friends of mine from Jersey love Long Beach Island. Vacation Mosh Pit as well?
My neighbor owns a house on LBI...it is indeed one of the most scenic beaches in NJ. That's where I was for 9/11. Haven't been back there since. :(

The last time I was at seaside was about 25 yrs ago and that was only on a bike ride. I stopped on the boardwalk, rested a bit and then started biking back, never like that place. The few beaches in NJ I have liked are Sandy Hook, Point Pleasant and Wildwood. And even that I don't bother with any more.

I like Sandy Hook. Park in the Highlands and bike on in for free!:beer:

well yeah..people love going to the Jersey Shore and Disney World and other places that are a complete mobscene..I don't like crowds..that's why I go to Jackson hole in mid-late January..you could always go to Nantucket..

mondeo

I just don't understand beaches altogether. I can sit around and do nothing outside just as well at home.

Warp Daddy

The Queen and i go to the CAPE after Labor Day -its fantastic --no crowds , no traffic , rates are down ,pace is lazy -AWESOME and the water is still quite warm.

I spent 3 months on the Cape rented a beautiful home on pond a block from the ocean when i was on sabbatical leave several years ago and love it here . We biked everywhere and quickly learned how to drive the capes backroads and avoid the main roads .

The Queen is a watercolor artist so finds the Cape light amazing and ZEEMAN is right on target about the beach at nite simply awesome