• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Golf Technique: The Forward Press

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So in my most recent game, I tried incorporating a forward press into my swing with great results. I felt my iron shots were much more consistent. I didn't have many "oh no" moments halfway through my backswing when I started to feel out of position or off balance. Lately, I have been focusing on ensuring my left wrist is flat at the top of the backswing and the forward press has helped tremendously. Maybe it is all mental, but I have never tried it before and played some of my best and most consistent golf today.

So do you forward press or not and why?

Warp Daddy

Not sure what you mean -- I simply stay balanced , making sure the weight transfer occurs and swing about 7 out of 10 as far as speed is concerned . Always check my grip then take a slow back awing and then 7 out of ten ------------------balance is key , smooth is key and speed kills

But frankly i do not overload my brain with more than i thing when i swing ------------------focus on relaxed balanced and unencumbered seems to work best for me

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
A forward press is pressing the hands forward slightly at address prior to taking the club into the backswing. If you setup with a strong grip, your left wrist cups at address and the forward press essentially flattens out your wrist before you even take the club back. From what I have researched, ending the back swing with a flat wrist helps to avoid slicing the ball because it gets the club head squared up rather than open. Additionally, a forward press puts your body into motion prior to beginning your backswing so you are not backswinging from a static position. At least that is how I understand it.

This video shows the motion as a visual:

drjeff

Kind of depends on what type of shot i'm TRYING to hit ;)

Generally, with my woods, I don't do the forward press with my hands at address. Off the tee with the big clubs, the main thing that I'm thinking about with respect to my wrists and my swing is the release of my wrists through impact of the ball, and where my wrists are at the start of my swing, for me atleast at the current state of my golfing career doesn't make a whole lotta difference. Now where my wrists are at the top and through the contact and follow through, that's a different story.

Irons, most of the time, I don't forward press either. Same reasoning as above. The only exception to this is if I'm either trying to keep the ball down or hit a low punch out shot. Then, I will use the forward press of my wrists at address to help me (hopefully atleast) remember to keep that wrist angle and de-loft the club through impact. My usual ball flight is VERY HIGH

Putting, yup, all the time. Just part of my routine that I've used for years where once I'm set behind the ball and happy with my line, the first thing I do just prior to bringing the putter back is a very slight (maybe the equivalent of taking 2 or 3 degrees of loft out of the putter face) forward wrist press prior to bringing the putter back.

campgottagopee

Forward press is really just a "trigger" to start your swing, we all have one. I kinda prefer more of a" waggle" to start my swing. Used to use a forward press but for me I found I was picking the club straight up instead of bringing it back low and slow. Many ways to play this beloved game :)

Beetlenut

For me the forward press was a learning tool. I've since moved on to other moves to start my swing. Key for me is to stay loose and not remain stationary too long over the ball. To help me stay down through the impact area, I push down on the club and bend/flex the shaft a little before take away. Kind of helps me set my spine angle and return the club to the ground at impact. Different strokes for .... well you know!

Trekchick

That is how I line up for many shots, especially with my irons. That video is a good visual of this.
I don't necessarily get more distance out of my shots like this, but I get a better line :)