• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Thread

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
Yup. It's at ground level though so it'll be pretty straightforward. It's really just a 32'x14' section off the house and a 12'x16' section off the garage. The two outside corners will be 45'd to add a somewhat custom look. It'll likely take several weekends, but the overall design is pretty basic - just a lot of lumber to shlep around. But again, it's at ground level so no railings and no hauling lumber up. The builder put on a 14'x10' deck off the second level slider so we'll integrate the stairs that come down into the new deck which is off a walk-out basement in the back. Once the basement is refinished as a playroom/office, it will be a nice way to get onto it. It'll be a BIG deck, but this is the last house I plan to buy for many many years so I want a deck that I'm satisfied with. Can't wait to get started!
So my delivery of 141 pieces of 2x8 and 5/4x6 pressure treated lumber arrived yesterday! :-o Gonna be a busy weekend. :D Hope it stays somewhat dry... :roll:

skijay

I am DIY-ing appliance shopping. Since most of you seem like gurus in electronics things and have new homes or have renovated recently, can someone help me with some appliances I need to buy:

I need a new dishwasher. I like a Bosch I found at Sears & appliance store but I was told that it does not have a hard food grinder. I was leaning toward KitchenAid since that was what was installed when the house was built 25 yrs ago.

I want stainless steel tub & stainless exterior & hard food grinder. Anybody have any recommendations? I am allocating $1,500 for the purchase.

Next: I need a new fridge. I would like it to match the dishwasher. I would like side by side NO ICEMAKER. I have that now, Whirlpool circa 1981. Basically about 25 cubic feet. KitchenAid makes one and there is one under the Kenmore label. KitchenAid is $2,500 and the Kenmore is $1,600. Anybody else see side by side with no icemakers?

If I have to go with an icemaker any brand recommendations? I am allocating $2,500 to the fridge. It is funny that non-icemaker fridges are more expensive than icemaker equipped ones.

Next: A electric stove. Since the fridge & dishwasher are going, why not the stove also.
Standard size, prefer to match the other appliances; I use the microwave and convection oven for most of my cooking so the stove just needs to look good.

My concern is the cook top, some say they can crack easy. I can allocate $1,000, perhaps more if the other two appliances come within my budget.

The last item is the stove hood. I need stainless to match, but not sure if I want a microwave. Are the range hood & microwave combos reliable? My current range hood is vented to the outside.

Thanks,

Tim

Greg

Staff member
skijay said:
I am DIY-ing appliance shopping. Since most of you seem like gurus in electronics things and have new homes or have renovated recently, can someone help me with some appliances I need to buy:

I need a new dishwasher. I like a Bosch I found at Sears & appliance store but I was told that it does not have a hard food grinder. I was leaning toward KitchenAid since that was what was installed when the house was built 25 yrs ago.

I want stainless steel tub & stainless exterior & hard food grinder. Anybody have any recommendations? I am allocating $1,500 for the purchase.

Next: I need a new fridge. I would like it to match the dishwasher. I would like side by side NO ICEMAKER. I have that now, Whirlpool circa 1981. Basically about 25 cubic feet. KitchenAid makes one and there is one under the Kenmore label. KitchenAid is $2,500 and the Kenmore is $1,600. Anybody else see side by side with no icemakers?

If I have to go with an icemaker any brand recommendations? I am allocating $2,500 to the fridge. It is funny that non-icemaker fridges are more expensive than icemaker equipped ones.

Next: A electric stove. Since the fridge & dishwasher are going, why not the stove also.
Standard size, prefer to match the other appliances; I use the microwave and convection oven for most of my cooking so the stove just needs to look good.

My concern is the cook top, some say they can crack easy. I can allocate $1,000, perhaps more if the other two appliances come within my budget.

The last item is the stove hood. I need stainless to match, but not sure if I want a microwave. Are the range hood & microwave combos reliable? My current range hood is vented to the outside.

Thanks,

Tim
Wow. Whatever way you go, it sounds like you're going to have a pretty rad kitchen when you're done. We just put in basic Kenmore appliances in our kitchen - total cost about $2,500...

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Marc said:
Ah, just sink a screw into the drywall and see what happnes.
Where's your sense of adventure, Greg? :dunce:

Actually that's pretty close. If it's pictures a mirrors, you can use gallery/picture hangers, hold up to 40 lbs. They are similar to the ones you can buy at the store except they are stronger and better engineered. There is a one, two and three brad sizes. Obviously the one with the three brads hold the 40 lbs. I owned a gallery for 3 years and have been hanging my work for over 20 years with these things. Even the ones you buy at the hardware store can hold up to 40lbs, just get the largest size. Takes maybe 10 seconds to install. Toggle bolts, drywall anchors...mucho overkill and mucho hassle.

Last edited:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
skijay said:

Thanks,

Tim
I have never heard of a hard food grinder in a dishwasher, but I have a Bosch and love it. It is by far the best cleaning dishwasher I have ever had as well as the most quiet.

skijay

Greg,

I would rather spend less, but I have allowed that much based on the appliances that I have priced. I am not trying to get the most expensive, I just want them to last lets say 25yrs like the ones now. I am only dumping the fridge because it is not efficient. The source of my high electric bill is the fridge. The electrician that was at my house had a device that measured the amount of electricty that an appliance used and he said that mine was an energy hog. I love the look of stainless steel which seems to up the price on the appliances. It makes a dull kitchen like mine look much better.

I also found out this afternoon that it will cost $100 to have a water line put in for a icemaker equiped fridge. The appliance store does it. I thought I would have to have a plumber come out and install cold water pipes. I was thinking about a few hundred dollars if not more. I did not realize it is a "nothing" job to install it.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
ski_resort_observer said:
Actually that's pretty close. If it's pictures a mirrors, you can use gallery/picture hangers, hold up to 40 lbs. They are similar to the ones you can buy at the store except they are stronger and better engineered. There is a one, two and three brad sizes. Obviously the one with the three brads hold the 40 lbs. I owned a gallery for 3 years and have been hanging my work for over 20 years with these things. Even the ones you buy at the hardware store can hold up to 40lbs, just get the largest size. Takes maybe 10 seconds to install. Toggle bolts, drywall anchors...mucho overkill and mucho hassle.

Interesting...

Where's the best place to find them? I have a picture that's probably ~10 lbs and I want to put it in a spot that's right between two joists. When I move out I probably wouldn't even have to do anything to brad sized holes, whereas mud and paint would be required for a drywall anchor.

My other option was going with the 3M adhesive hangers. The only problem with them is you really need a wire on the frame to hang from them and they tend to tilt the top of the picture forward a bit more than looks good because the hook protrudes so far from the wall.

ChileMass

Greg said:
Wow. Whatever way you go, it sounds like you're going to have a pretty rad kitchen when you're done. We just put in basic Kenmore appliances in our kitchen - total cost about $2,500...

Yeah - I'm with Greg on this one. A $1500 dishwasher? Man, it better make me a ham and cheese sandwich every time I walk in the room for that price. Sears is a fine place to buy appliances. Kenmore anything is OK with me. I have a Kenmore electric dryer that is over 20 years old and runs 100%. The last dishwasher I bought (7-8 yrs ago) was about $400 and does a very good job. I don't even know what a hard food grinder is........

Tim - When you do get this killer kitchen completed, please be sure to put me on the inviation list for your first house party......I mix a mean martini.......:)

loafer89

Anything Maytag is horrible, we made the mistake of buying the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer in 2000 when we bought the house and both have constantly broke down costing us alot of $$$$$$.

Our Maytag refrigerator seems to have two temperature settings, frozen or luke warm. I really do like the Maytag double oven that we bought, so far so good.

I wil not touch Maytag with a totem pole for the new house.

I have experience with Bosch and LG with my family in Germany, I guess they still have good products even if they are made elsewhere than Germany these days?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
loafer89 said:
Anything Maytag is horrible, we made the mistake of buying the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer in 2000 when we bought the house and both have constantly broke down costing us alot of $$$$$$.

Our Maytag refrigerator seems to have two temperature settings, frozen or luke warm. I really do like the Maytag double oven that we bought, so far so good.

I wil not touch Maytag with a totem pole for the new house.

I have experience with Bosch and LG with my family in Germany, I guess they still have good products even if they are made elsewhere than Germany these days?

I thought LG has always been a Korean company?

ski_resort_observer

Website
Marc said:
Interesting...

Where's the best place to find them? I have a picture that's probably ~10 lbs and I want to put it in a spot that's right between two joists. When I move out I probably wouldn't even have to do anything to brad sized holes, whereas mud and paint would be required for a drywall anchor.

My other option was going with the 3M adhesive hangers. The only problem with them is you really need a wire on the frame to hang from them and they tend to tilt the top of the picture forward a bit more than looks good because the hook protrudes so far from the wall.

The gallery picture hangers are at Frameshops, Art Supply, craft stores. The regular picture hangers are everywhere....hardware stores, Walmart. They have the weight limits on the packages. These are for picture frames with wires. I wouldn't trust those adhesive things to hold my toothpaste.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
ski_resort_observer said:
The gallery picture hangers are at Frameshops, Art Supply, craft stores. The regular picture hangers are everywhere....hardware stores, Walmart. They have the weight limits on the packages. These are for picture frames with wires. I wouldn't trust those adhesive things to hold my toothpaste.

Well, the big adhesive hooks are holding my two degrees which are framed in 11 x 17. They've been up for about 10 months now with no signs of letting go.

I was afraid you were going to say I could find the picture hangers in a craft store. The last time I went into a Michael's to Christmas shop for my mother it nearly drove me sane.

ski_resort_observer

Website
Marc said:
Well, the big adhesive hooks are holding my two degrees which are framed in 11 x 17. They've been up for about 10 months now with no signs of letting go.

I was afraid you were going to say I could find the picture hangers in a craft store. The last time I went into a Michael's to Christmas shop for my mother it nearly drove me sane.

lol...I know what you mean. How about this. Here is the gallery hanger version that should be available in frameshops that also sell framing supplies or other places that sell picture frames. Here is a pic of the light version(10-20lbs).

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
We bought a very basic Maytag washer and dryer in 1999 and the things have been rock solid since. We've moved them twice because we are so satisfied with them.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
skijay said:
I would rather spend less, but I have allowed that much based on the appliances that I have priced. I am not trying to get the most expensive, I just want them to last lets say 25yrs like the ones now.[/QUOTE}
IMHO you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're hoping to get that much out of them. I'd say 10 years is good, anything after that is a bonus, especially for the dishwasher. I have heard great reviews about Bosch. Very quiet, reliable, good on energy costs.

Btw, I think most dishwashers come with a hard food grinder (my cheap $300 Maytag has one), but I wouldn't make your decision based on that. I find my DW unbearably loud when the grinder is doing it's work, and find myself putting in the extra effort to put in dishes free of scraps so that I don't have to listen to the racket.

skijay said:
I also found out this afternoon that it will cost $100 to have a water line put in for a icemaker equiped fridge. The appliance store does it. I thought I would have to have a plumber come out and install cold water pipes. I was thinking about a few hundred dollars if not more. I did not realize it is a "nothing" job to install it.
If you're at all DIY savvy, save the $$ and do it yourself. I think they sell all inclusive kits at Home Depot or your local hardware store for such a project and I want to say they're like $10. Click HERE for an example. They usually consist of a valve that self-taps the water line in the basement and a length of flexible tube that runs up through a small hole in the foor behind the fridge. Might be worth a try.

As for Maytags, I have a dishwasher and refridgerator made by them, and so far so good. If you really want to splurge on the oven, I'd go for a gas top / electric oven. You can't beat cooking over gas (better temp control), but electric always seems to bake more evenly. It's the best of both worlds. If you are going for a glass top electric, I wouldn't worry too much about breakage. Only once did I see one crack, and that was after my 200 lb roomate fell on it while painting the kitchen ceiling. I'm sure if you drop a pot or something on it you might break it, but under normal use I'd say the chances are nil.

Let us know what you end up getting.
Smitty

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Greg said:
We bought a very basic Maytag washer and dryer in 1999 and the things have been rock solid since. We've moved them twice because we are so satisfied with them.

Example #3,453,265,301 of how anecdotal and individual experiences often mean little or next to nothing when quantifying the reliability of a brand or model.

And it always seems to be either cars or appliances, but holds true for most other things as well.

Greg

Staff member
smitty77 said:
They usually consist of a valve that self-taps the water line in the basement and a length of flexible tube that runs up through a small hole in the foor behind the fridge.
Exactly. In fact the plumber that installed it in our house never even tapped the line. It's a simple matter of clamping it on a cold water pipe nearest to where you need to run up behind the fridge and then turn the valve to tap the line. Piece of cake. Depending on how long you need to run the tube, it's a 20 minute thing, tops.